DishPointer Line of Sight iPhone App

Status

DirectDishNet

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 25, 2007
Davenport Iowa
IPOD?

Is there anything in the works for the IPOD Touch? I don't have a iphone, Too expensive for me.....Don't like contracts you know.

I would like to request a ipod touch app please. :angel:

AlanSH

DishPointer.COM Admin
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 4, 2007
The DishPointer Maps app works on the iPod Touch, you just need internet connection (the faster the better). The augmented reality apps don't work on the iPod as the iPod does not have a camera.

AlanSH

DishPointer.COM Admin
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 4, 2007
Go to the app page

e.g. for the DP AR Pro app: iTunes Store

At the bottom, just above the reviews there is "Write review" link on the right, click on that.

smokeythebear

Sep 7, 2009
Alaska
How do you hold the IPhone to get the correct LOS view?

Just wanted you to know I would give a great feedback on this app but it won't let me.

grover432

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Feb 13, 2006
I may have a LOS issue and I would welcome an app that works well to help me out. I'm not sure if I understand how this app works with my iPhone 3GS.

Let's take Dishnet 129 for example:

From my location, the magnetic azimuth of 129 is 215. The elevation is 26.1.

My understanding from the instructions is that I turn the app on and holding it flat on its back (display to the sky), I find 215, magnetic. At that point I can point the back of the iPhone to the sky and move it around until I see 129 on the arc superimposed on the screen.

This is where I get confused. I need to raise the iPhone in an upward arc until the iPhone is pointing at 26 elevation? If I have a clear view to the sky in the center of the iPhone screen then I will have a clear view with the dish??

I have a few questions:

1. Is the compass accurate enough for this to work accurately? I haven't compared the iPhone compass to a professional compass but when I stand on a street that is running north/south, the pointer doesn't seem to point straight to "N" when I think it I am facing true N - assuming the street is pointing true N (yes I have the iPhone set to true north and not magnetic north).

2. Does the app display the elevation as you raise the phone up so you know when you are at the elevation the dish will be pointing to?

3. Finally, I was reading another post asking whether being on the 28th floor of an apartment building would make a difference to the position of the satellites. The answer was that it doesn't make a difference, given the distance of the satellite.

In trying to determine whether the LOS you will clear an obstacle; the height of the dish off the ground will make a difference (i.e., my dish is mounted 25' off the ground and I have a different view of the sky than I do when on the ground in the back yard. Does the app need to take the location of the dish off the ground into account in determining whether you have LOS to the satellite?

Thanks

grover

grover432

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Feb 13, 2006
How do you hold the IPhone to get the correct LOS view?

Just wanted you to know I would give a great feedback on this app but it won't let me.
How can you give great feedback if you don't know how its works yet? That is what I am trying to figure out. :)

AlanSH

DishPointer.COM Admin
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 4, 2007
grover432: Are you using the DP AR apps or still the old LoS app? What does the title of the app say?

With the DP Ar apps, the compass works best when held flat. You find the right direction, then lock the compass and lift the iPhone (don't move it laterally any more). The satellites should appear on the screen, it doesn't matter at what angle you hold the iPhone as long as the satellites are visible on the screen.

The accuracy of the iPhone compass is greatly affected by nearby electrical magnetic fields.

mr.crane

SatelliteGuys Pro
DishPointer LOS is an application for your iPhone that will help you see if you have a clear line of sight to the satellites in the sky!

Check out any line of sight issues with this iPhone App. Just point your iPhone at the sky, tilt it until you get the right angle and then switch on the the camera preview. If there is a clear sky right at the center of the screen, you’re good to go. Simple but very effective.

The DishPointer Line of Sight Application can be downloaded from the Apple iTunes Store by CLICKING HERE.

If you have any questions about the DishPointer Line of Sight application please post them in this thread.
cannot find this on iphone store?

AlanSH

DishPointer.COM Admin
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 4, 2007
Look for DishPointer AR Pro and DishPointer Augmented Reality apps. They are far more superior than this app and that's why this one is no longer available. All customers who bought this app received a free upgrade to the AR apps.

dsgreen

Feb 16, 2010
uk
Hi everyone I have the latest dish pointer pro app on my iphone and would like to know how to take a photo of the satellite shown on the screen?do I now have to press the home and off button at the same time or is there any other way as the camera button does not show on the latest upgrade.
Cheers for any help.
Derek

AlanSH

DishPointer.COM Admin
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 4, 2007
Derek, yes that's how to do it, home and off button at the same time.

AlanSH

DishPointer.COM Admin
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 4, 2007
This app has been superseded by the DishPointer Augmented Reality app.

Thread closed.

Status

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)