Dishpointer reality for other phones ???

lcsoup

Oct 11, 2009
USA
Will this program be available for other Phones (Nokia) and phones with symbian OS or Java MIDP ?

lcsoup@hotmail.com

running Nokia 6650 Fold, AT&T G3 Symbian OS 3, FP 2;;;; Java MIDP

AlanSH

DishPointer.COM Admin
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 4, 2007
Yes I'm trying to make it work on as many phones as possible but remember that most Nokias don't have an inbuilt compass (neither any blackberries), so you would need to enter a manual compass heading. Not sure when they will be released, the android is next. The best bet is to get an iPhone if you do this for a living and need it now.

lcsoup

Oct 11, 2009
USA
Thanks for the prompt reply.

Information: Nokia "Maps" has GPS and a small (General direction Compass)- works on my phone with built in GPS. No internet connection required (for the boondock sites with no cellphone tower.
Google earth also works but must have Internet connection.
Several programs are available for "Compass"

NYJRO

Oct 30, 2009
Lima Peru
hi there from peru
am just newcomer and trying to learn aboy FTA
I have a small co cms parabolic for K band and am looking for a used sat receiver

ZandarKoad

Amish Satellite Technician
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 13, 2005
Nashville, TN
Thanks for the prompt reply.

Information: Nokia "Maps" has GPS and a small (General direction Compass)- works on my phone with built in GPS. No internet connection required (for the boondock sites with no cellphone tower.
Google earth also works but must have Internet connection.
Several programs are available for "Compass"
There is no software solution (programs) that can recreate a true compass. The best they can do is utilize GPS to guess at which direction you are facing when you are moving. As soon as you stop, no GPS in the world can tell you which direction you are facing. You need a HARDWARE compass built in.

I understand that certain DishPointer applications let you manually enter a azimuth, but not the augmented reality version. And even if it (eventually) does, then it's not really that real of an augmented-reality... If you accidentally rotate off to the side a few degrees then all bets are off...

I guess the first time I heard of DishPointer, it was the augmented reality app. As a technician, I feel all other earlier iterations pale in comparison... :D

AlanSH

DishPointer.COM Admin
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 4, 2007
iTouch? You mean iPod? Doesn't have a camera.

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
hi there from peru
am just newcomer and trying to learn aboy FTA
I have a small co cms parabolic for K band and am looking for a used sat receiver
I think you need to post in the Free To Air section. Click here to go there.

g_c

Oct 2, 2008
Yes I'm trying to make it work on as many phones as possible but remember that most Nokias don't have an inbuilt compass (neither any blackberries), so you would need to enter a manual compass heading. Not sure when they will be released, the android is next. The best bet is to get an iPhone if you do this for a living and need it now.
Hi, is it possible to have this run on a Windows Mobile phone with built-in camera & a external bluetooth GPS receiver?

g_c

Oct 2, 2008
Hi, any possibility to have it run on a Windows Mobile phone with built-in camera and bluetooth gps receiver?

928gt

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Nov 25, 2003
The new Motorola Droid would be the perfect candidate for this app, it has all the hardware ready and waiting....

AlanSH

DishPointer.COM Admin
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 4, 2007
DishPointer Pro has been released for Android phones today. Check out the Android Market - it costs about $20 or 15 british pounds...

928gt

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Nov 25, 2003

Kirby Baker

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 19, 2004
Somewhere in space
So I can search the market and find the app, but if I select it to get to the 'purchase' screen I get a "Not Found: The requested item could not be found." error. Would buy it if I could! This is on a Sprint HTC Hero, Android 1.5. Hopefully you didnt make it 1.6+ only!

928gt

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Nov 25, 2003
It timed out the first time on me too , maybe due to all of us trying to get it at the same time,

BUT it worked the second time and the app is KILLER!!!!

Already know for sure where I need to move my Dish for better EA signals!!!

I never knew there were so many birds up there!! Unchecked all but the DN birds.

AlanSH

DishPointer.COM Admin
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 4, 2007
I made it for Android 1.5+ but checking out the purchase screen on the Android Market, I get the same error on my HTC Hero, "the requested item could not be found" even though it shows up on the search results. This doesn't happen with the Droid.

I'll try to email Google, it must be something with the Market.

Kirby Baker

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 19, 2004
Somewhere in space
I made it for Android 1.5+ but checking out the purchase screen on the Android Market, I get the same error on my HTC Hero, "the requested item could not be found" even though it shows up on the search results. This doesn't happen with the Droid.

I'll try to email Google, it must be something with the Market.
Still the same this morning. I could really use this app for my parents dish re-location, but I guess I will have to do it the old fashioned way. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest posts