Dish’s Ergen: “DBS is mature to declining”

bluegras

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
Dish Network’s founder and CEO, Charlie Ergen, in an analysts’ call following the company’s results, has said that his DTH/DBS business definitely had a future despite the competitive threats from a “proliferation” of online rivals, but that it was necessary to be more selective in its relationship with subscribers.

http://advanced-television.com/2016/02/19/dishs-ergen-dbs-is-mature-to-declining/

this paragraph is also interesting

He further admitted that some of Dish’s churn was due to taking down of some channels and networks [Dish Network has been involved in some extremely tough negotiations with network broadcasters] and “in my opinion not the wisest decisions”.

allen bluegras

Charlie launched a ridiculous fight against both Fox News and Turner (TCM) and got burned badly, very predictable. If he now wants to go against Viacom, however, I am with him all the way. One garbage channel after another.

Last time Dish took away the Viacom channels we got hit hard.

First from all the pissed off customers calling to complain, and then the chargeback we had to eat from customers cancelling.

I can't begin to name all the dumb excuses people had when their channels went missing. From mothers who have kids acting crazy because there was no kids shows for their kids to watch to people crying about missing certain Tv show as if their entire life revolved around it.

Lifetime, AMC, Outdoor channel , speed channel Dish won those.

I can tell you this. as a retailer I can tell you which disputes Dish and Directv win or loose based off the number of calls from people complaining.

Let's put it this way. Comcasts little outage Monday was enough to crash my phone system and we can take 48 concurrent calls at a time.

The people that are still paying for TV today aren't the cheapskates Dish went after in the early 2000's and saw these contract negotiations as a revolt against a high cable bill. The people that don't really care about TV threw up an outdoor antenna and subscribed to Netflix. The people that are still left and paying $100/mo for TV won't put up with missing channels, and I don't blame them.

lets not forget chucks jacking the fees, just for greater profit.

5 or 7 bucks a month to 17 all at once, and the college management he hired, to maximise profit.

the word got around, and with a mature business charging people to return leased boxes.

it sours the milk so people never sub again

note last i checked direct sub numbers are still growing:)

while dish gives away the house to try and hold subs

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Last time he fought Viacom the channels where down for 3 days and Ergen lost big time.

Heck somewhere I have a clip where I did a Tv Interview over it.
What does Viacom have now that the majority of viewers actually want?
The company has as its base a bunch of music video channels, BET and Nickelodeon....
People who plop their kids in front of the TV would scream the loudest.
MTV? VH1? Niche viewers. Nobody cares.
BET? Probably would not be missed as the service is mostly mainstream programming....
Viacom once had significant clout when it was officially called CBS.....

Last time Dish took away the Viacom channels we got hit hard.

First from all the pissed off customers calling to complain, and then the chargeback we had to eat from customers cancelling.

I can't begin to name all the dumb excuses people had when their channels went missing. From mothers who have kids acting crazy because there was no kids shows for their kids to watch to people crying about missing certain Tv show as if their entire life revolved around it.

Lifetime, AMC, Outdoor channel , speed channel Dish won those.

I can tell you this. as a retailer I can tell you which disputes Dish and Directv win or loose based off the number of calls from people complaining.

Let's put it this way. Comcasts little outage Monday was enough to crash my phone system and we can take 48 concurrent calls at a time.
Of course.
You also remember the screeching from those Kung Fu and Monster movie fans when Dish dumped VOOM...
For the 10,000 viewers of those channels nationwide, it was the beginning of the end times....
Dish and Viacom had it's first cat fight, I was in the satellite business.
It got to the point where we techs are getting screamed at because people were :"missing MY show"....
The stay at home mothers were the worst. Their little cupcakes didn't have Nick...Again, The end times.....WOW.....
If that were the case around my house when I was growing up, it was "go outside and find something to do"...Or "go read a book"......

You know their mothers REALLY hated them when they said "Go visit the priest!"

What does Viacom have now that the majority of viewers actually want?
The company has as its base a bunch of music video channels, BET and Nickelodeon....
People who plop their kids in front of the TV would scream the loudest.
MTV? VH1? Niche viewers. Nobody cares.
BET? Probably would not be missed as the service is mostly mainstream programming....
Viacom once had significant clout when it was officially called CBS.....
Gotta disagree with the BEET part only because there are constant complaints on multiple forums and sites about how there is already not enough "African oriented channels" on TV. Losing the big one.... that would hurt the crowd, but it may pave the way for a popular request, TVOne.

What Dish should offer people this time, maybe, is an iTunes or Google Play credit so they can subscribe to Noggin for their little kids. It's $5.99/mo for unlimited commercial free streaming. http://www.noggin.com/ and this would take care of the parents using TV as a babysitter.

What Dish should offer people this time, maybe, is an iTunes or Google Play credit so they can subscribe to Noggin for their little kids. It's $5.99/mo for unlimited commercial free streaming. http://www.noggin.com/ and this would take care of the parents using TV as a babysitter.
Why though? If people were going to do that, they'd already be doing that, and encouraging those that are not are only going to lead them away from Dish and possibly further away from Sling. It's like trying to sell a brand new Chevy at a Ford dealership... Don't sell a product you don't have and don't intend to have

I meant it more as example that Viacom already sells their content a la carte anyway, so why should Dish be too concerned about having it as part of their packages?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts