Dish's Ergen Makes $2 Billion Offer for LightSquared LightSquared Has Until May 31 to Accept Offer

Debt really hasn't been any cheaper than it is now. So might as well leverage while the leveraging is cheap.

Especially since he's using OUR money.

But what's another $20 rate increase between friends...

It's not our money the second we use it to pay a bill/debt we owe. At that point it becomes Dish's money and they can do whatever they want with it.

As far as I know, no one here has a gun to their heads or is in any other way being forced to sub to Dish. And contracts and termination fees don't enter into that equation either since no one was forced to contract with Dish, that was also done voluntarily.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

don't forget, he's going after bandwidth with this acquisition.

the band with has value , possibly even beyond the value of the company.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2.x

the band with has value , possibly even beyond the value of the company.

Yes, but what value is that exactly? $2B? :eek: I think the FCC prevented LightSquared from using their bandwidth due to interference, hence the bankruptcy. Or am I thinking of another company?

Yes, but what value is that exactly? $2B? :eek: I think the FCC prevented LightSquared from using their bandwidth due to interference, hence the bankruptcy. Or am I thinking of another company?
You are correct. The FCC didn't approve Lightsquared's spectrum for terrestrial use because it would interfere with GPS frequencies.

Light Squared has other spectrum besides the infamous adjacent to GPS frequencies.

Essentially half+ the near GPS frequencies could be useful.

TheKrell:

There is an issue with the waiver that was granted, but that doesn't mean the spectrum has no value.

Additionally, the GPS interference could be contested. Let's face it, Charlie likes a good court fight.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2.x

There is an issue with the waiver that was granted, but that doesn't mean the spectrum has no value.

I think I agreed that the spectrum has value. I just find $2B a seriously eye popping figure and wonder (don't know!) if it could really be worth that much.

Technology can advance in the future to allow that spectrum that was denied due to interference near GPS bands to be used in the future or at least be able to use quarter then later perhaps half of those channels.

I think I agreed that the spectrum has value. I just find $2B a seriously eye popping figure and wonder (don't know!) if it could really be worth that much.

Ergan could probably work out a solution that leaves a 5+MHZ guard band next to the GPS frequencies. Light squared essentially had 34 MHZ of spectrum adjacent to the GPS frequencies. If Charlie had to give up even 10 MHZ to guard against GPS frequencies, he can combine it with the 40 MHZ he already owns. Light Squared of course did not have other spectrum to fall back on if their entire block was not approved.

If Dish were to give up 9MHZ of the Light Squared spectrum for FCC approval, Dish would go from 40 to 65 MHZ of nationwide spectrum. Quite an impressive amount.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts