Dish's FCC Filing on E-14 Satellite to 119 W

Not unless something happened since they filed their Schedule S last May.

Jan15-Feb15-2010

http://licensing.fcc.gov/ibfsweb/ib.page.FetchAttachment?attachment_key=712920

nelson61, thanks. I had spent some time last evening reading the fcc material relating to E-14 (due to the Spectrum 5 filing and Dish's response) but was concerned I might have missed a supplement where the timeline was changed. So, barring complications, the liftoff is still set for Jan. 15 and activation on Mar. 1 of 2010.:) The thing I looked for, but didn't see, was the stamp of approval from the fcc.

Best regards,
Fitzie

One thing did happen. Sea Launch went bankrupt and several launches moved to the Proton. No idea if it affects scheduling.

The Sea Launch bankruptcy has delayed the launch of the DirecTV-12 satellite because another satellite was moved from Sea Launch to Proton and received priority over DirecTV-12. I believe from the one other site that has very reliable information on launch schedules, Proton has three other satellites to launch in the first quarter of 2010.

The Sea Launch bankruptcy has delayed the launch of the DirecTV-12 satellite because another satellite was moved from Sea Launch to Proton and received priority over DirecTV-12. I believe from the one other site that has very reliable information on launch schedules, Proton has three other satellites to launch in the first quarter of 2010.

Indeed, Eutelsat W7 is going up November 18th (the "emergency" launch), followed by DirecTV 12 in December. Arabsat-5A, Intelsat 16 (originally a Land Launch sat), and an SES bird called OS-1 are all supposed to go up 1st quarter. Skyterra, a new sat phone company, also has 2 Proton launches for next year. I don't think ILS can do more than 1 launch a month, so I think it will be 2Q2010.

Indeed, Eutelsat W7 is going up November 18th (the "emergency" launch), followed by DirecTV 12 in December. Arabsat-5A, Intelsat 16 (originally a Land Launch sat), and an SES bird called OS-1 are all supposed to go up 1st quarter. Skyterra, a new sat phone company, also has 2 Proton launches for next year. I don't think ILS can do more than 1 launch a month, so I think it will be 2Q2010.

ILS was specifically asked about W7 or others "bumping" the schedule. They said that the launch slots are set a long time in advance and no one has been moved out of their launch slot.

A bit more information concerning ILS capabilites.

ILS updated their launch planning guide in October 2009.

They list their current max geo orbital load at 6920 KG.

They list their peak launch rate (commercial) at 4 launches per month (2 launches per 25 day cycle).

"2.2.2 Launch Availability​
The Proton launch system is designed to operate under the environmental conditions encountered at Baikonur (Table 2.2.2-1).

The Proton can be launched year round, and the time between launches from an individual pad can be as short as 25 days.

Proton has demonstrated a launch rate of four per month from multiple launch pads, and a long-term average launch rate of approximately twelve per year.

The capability of the Proton system to launch in severe environmental conditions decreases launch delays and ensures that payloads reach orbit as scheduled to begin revenue-generating activities.

The short turnaround time between launches can ensure that SC constellations are deployed quickly, minimizing the time required to
enter service."​

Table 2.2.2-1: Launch Constraints​
Times Launches available year round
Turn Around Times 25 days per pad​
Number of Pads 2 commercial

So what's the latest on Sea Launch- are they expected to return to service? Any timeline?

Just a short note that may be informative: looking at the spaceflightnow.com launch schedule for Baikonur (sp?) Cosmodrome, the ILS schedule seems full up through April 2010. DirecTV 12 and Intelsat 16 should go up in January. Baikonur does have a third (non-commercial) launch pad, so maybe some of the scheduled launches can be shifted to the third pad, freeing up some room. Late April, May or June now seems logical to me.

Fitzie

Spectrum Fives's latest (Oct 22) counter response regarding limiting E14 capabilities.

Things are getting ugly.

http://licensing.fcc.gov/ibfsweb/ib.page.FetchAttachment?attachment_key=750626

I find it hard to believe that Spectrum is anything other than a stalking horse being used for ransom. Their license was issued 3 years ago. They have a drop dead date to have the first satellite construction complete ( Nov 29, 2010) at an upfront cost of several hundred million dollars. I doubt anyone would spend that kind of money upfront without having proof positive they could use it ( having coordination complete with Dish and Directv). And, they say in their letter , no coordination has occured.

Last edited:
It would be nice to see S5 swatted down again. If they are not going to produce a plan of their satellite to coordinate with, the FCC needs to take a stand.

They talk about having requested coordination with E11 and attach a letter. The letter asks for nothing more than if Dish will tell them the transponders and satellite they would have at 110W in 2010. I think one can assume they had access to Dish's 10-15 year permits with all the details

I had forgotten that they also have to coordinate with the 110W slot.

FCC International database will be offline saturday so the links will be inactive .

It would be nice to see S5 swatted down again. If they are not going to produce a plan of their satellite to coordinate with, the FCC needs to take a stand.

I remember reading in the press that S5 had friends in the Bush administration as that may explain inexplicable decisions by the old FCC regarding S5. ASFIK, no more friends in "key" positions in Washington anymore. I don't think this new FCC is going to tolerate S5 unless they can produce.

Remote access problems

HD Local channel on- but no HD content

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)