Dish's hd bandwidth issue

dishfan82

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 18, 2012
clinton Township
The other day I noticed that the tigers game that came on in the evening was only available in sd and not in hd. I called dish and asked why? I was told I needed to pay 9 bucks more to get the hd feed. Then I asked a rep and they said dish still doesn't have enough bandwidth to play sports on hd full time . Anyone know when this will change?? I'm hoping soon

Scott - If they don't plan on offering 24/7 HD RSN's, do you know if they at least plan on adding the missing HD RSNs into the game-only mix? I am talking only about the ones that they carry the SD versions of (MASN and MASN 2, specifically in my case).

I think that the main bandwidth problem that Dish is having would be on WA with all the MPEG2 QPSK channels. They don't seem to be feeling rushed though to take care of that problem by getting rid of all the MPEG2-only equipment. The shift to 8PSK will afford a little more room but not near as much as the switch to MPEG4 would. Looks to me like the MPEG2 equipment is in it for quite a while longer. They only seem concerned at the moment with removing the QPSK-only equipment. I suppose it's all a balance between replacement costs, and subscriber demand. Obviously not everybody on Dish cares about full-time RSNs.

I think that the main bandwidth problem that Dish is having would be on WA with all the MPEG2 QPSK channels. They don't seem to be feeling rushed though to take care of that problem by getting rid of all the MPEG2-only equipment.
There is a very large body of SD customers in the EA that are continuing to use the WA so it isn't as easy as you make it sound.

There is a very large body of SD customers in the EA that are continuing to use the WA so it isn't as easy as you make it sound.

I'm not making it sound easy or hard. My point was that (as you just said) there are plenty of people that don't care about HD, therefore Dish is not feeling rushed to make better use of their bandwidth.

There was almost an implication that if they did it on EA they should be able to do it on WA and that's certainly not how it stacks up.

Almost... Hence the "I suppose it's all a balance between replacement costs, and subscriber demand."

My father complains about this almost every time I see him. The main things on our local "Root sports" are the Mariners and Pac 12. It is very common for games from the pack 12 that are in HD from Root to be only in sd on Dish. The Mariners are usually in HD but not always. And this is live games, he will call my Brother who is on Cox cable and seeing the game in HD, while he has to watch it in sd.

Originally they said that Live Games would be in HD. I wish they would live up to that if for no other reason than I am getting tired of my dad complaining...

That's the frustrating part - MASN and MASN2 (Baltimore/Washington) would mainly be for EA customers, and they seem to have plenty of bandwidth available to make the addition.

The other day I noticed that the tigers game that came on in the evening was only available in sd and not in hd. I called dish and asked why? I was told I needed to pay 9 bucks more to get the hd feed. Then I asked a rep and they said dish still doesn't have enough bandwidth to play sports on hd full time . Anyone know when this will change?? I'm hoping soon

Did you pay the $9. bucks? are you getting what you want?.:confused:

Call the Dishstore, and we'll switch you to Directv. Problem solved :D

And you can pay on average $20+ more per month for it. Also if you ever replace a receiver under warranty, your contract is extended 2 years (even if you weren't on contract). DTV has this real chip on their shoulder lately. They screw the customer at every opportunity.

I'll agree with Claude this much, even though it's beating a dead horse - If watching your team in HD is one of the most important things then you do need to get Direct TV. Some markets like Boston are virtually always in HD on Dish, others not. But as Brad1138 points out there is a price or two to pay for that, though as a new customer perhaps not right away.

And you can pay on average $20+ more per month for it. Also if you ever replace a receiver under warranty, your contract is extended 2 years (even if you weren't on contract). DTV has this real chip on their shoulder lately. They screw the customer at every opportunity.

Some truth to that but if customer more then one DVR with Dish who's skrewing who?? Customer wants 8 Tv's in HD Bend over and get ready to be the the prison bike. With 2 accounts at the same price and jumbo cost with a lower res HD.

DTV contract faults are EZ to get out i will not give out the info as they might change there game and need to make sure the customer is out of the first 2 year contract

Positive for dish what HD* you do get you get it during some light storms
Bad for direct you get a better HD and they have the space for far better 4K 8K feeds but light rain and your SOL.

brad1138 said:

LIKE. from my iPhone, so there is no like button.

Claude Greiner said:
Call the Dishstore, and we'll switch you to Directv. Problem solved :D

Partisanship. Not a good idea for someone who plans to continue selling both. So the logical conclusion is .....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts