Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
DISH's Hopper 3 DVR Now Supports Netflix in Ultra HD 4K

ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- DISH customers can now stream the Netflix catalog of Ultra HD TV shows and movies from a Hopper 3 DVR. Beginning today, these Netflix titles join DISH's inventory of Ultra HD content that includes a slate of 4K programming from Sony, The Orchard and Mance Media.

This Smart News Release features multimedia. View the full release here: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20160408005494/en/

Hopper_3_Main_Menu.jpg

DISH's Hopper 3 customers can now stream the Netflix catalog of Ultra HD TV shows and movies. (Photo: Business Wire)

The Hopper 3 delivers native 4K support, decoding and outputting 60 frames per second and 10-bit color. While the Netflix app has been available on this set-top box since February, access now includes the variety of Netflix award-winning originals in 4K, such as Marvel's "Daredevil" and "House of Cards."

"Netflix is actively taking steps to broaden the availability of Ultra HD content, with plans to provide more than 600 hours by the end of this year," said Vivek Khemka, DISH executive vice president and CTO. "As the cost of 4K TVs continues to decrease, consumer adoption of and interest in Ultra HD technology becomes more widespread. We're making every effort to provide our Hopper 3 customers with additional access to 4K programming as it's made available."

With a subscription to Netflix's $11.99 per month plan, 4K titles are accessible from DISH's Hopper 3. Netflix recommends an Internet connection speed of at least 25 megabits per second to stream Ultra HD titles. All 4K content offered on DISH can be viewed on any 4K compatible television.

To access this programming, DISH customers should press the "Home" or "App" button on the remote control, then select the Netflix app icon. Netflix can also be accessed on channel 370 in the DISH programming guide. Once in the app, Ultra HD titles are identifiable by searching the terms "4K" or "UHD." Additionally, with Netflix integrated into the Hopper 3's universal search results, its 4K titles will be populated in DISH's episode lists to better enable customers to discover content available in Ultra HD.

To learn more about the Hopper 3, visit: http://www.dish.com/hopper-3/.

I got U309, but no 4K here. If I search UHD, it shows titles I know are available in 4K (I have other devices that do work), but they are only showing up as HD.

How about the 4k Joeys?

Not yet, my understanding is that the 4K Joey needs a driver update to one of its chipsets on board before Netflix will certify it. (dish / Echostar does not write the drivers) so they are waiting. Should be shortly though. :)

I got U309, but no 4K here. If I search UHD, it shows titles I know are available in 4K (I have other devices that do work), but they are only showing up as HD.
what is your internet speed i am having the same problem too i do not have enough bandwidth to do ultra4khd our phone company frontier only does 6mpbs

Netflix says you need;
Can I stream Netflix in Ultra HD?
Ultra HD streaming is available on Netflix!

What do I need to stream Ultra HD?

• A TV compatible with Ultra HD streaming from Netflix. See below for more details.
  • A plan that supports streaming in Ultra HD. You can check which plan you're currently on at netflix.com/ChangePlan.
  • A steady Internet connection speed of 25 megabits per second or higher.
  • Streaming quality set to "High."

what is your internet speed i am having the same problem too i do not have enough bandwidth to do ultra4khd our phone company frontier only does 6mpbs
Around here Frontier can do 24Mbps if you're in the right neighborhood, but other than bonded dsl you'll have problems ever getting 4K streaming.

Is there not a cable internet provider in your neighborhood?

Around here Frontier can do 24Mbps if you're in the right neighborhood, but other than bonded dsl you'll have problems ever getting 4K streaming.

Is there not a cable internet provider in your neighborhood?
mediacom and they only do 20mpbs i would not trust them one bit they have some of worst customer service.

mediacom and they only do 20mpbs i would not trust them one bit they have some of worst customer service.
20Mpbs from Mediacom? I'm on Mediacom and get 100/10 service here. You need to call them and see if there isn't something faster available from them.

As to customer service, well I've had both Frontier and Mediacom at different times and found them to be the same side of the same coin. Not good at all.

But my cable internet is rock solid and the couple of glitches that happened got fixed damned quick so I can't complain.

I don't have bandwidth issue (80mps) and Netflix works in 4K on all my other devices, I am just trying to figure out what's going on thru the Hopper 3.

Reactions: SouthFLGuy
There seems to be a huge bug in Dish implementation of this update. For people who have a 4 stream package, if you don't have a compatible 4K TV, regardless if you are trying to watch 4K, the update causes the hopper box to crash whenever Netflix is launched.

There seems to be a huge bug in Dish implementation of this update. For people who have a 4 stream package, if you don't have a compatible 4K TV, regardless if you are trying to watch 4K, the update causes the hopper box to crash whenever Netflix is launched.
Netflix on my TV works fine. No crash no black screen just 4k

Netflix on my TV works fine. No crash no black screen just 4k

But you have a compatible 4K TV. Their is no reason the box should be forcing HDCP 2.2 when we aren't watching in 4K. In have tried it on multiple TV, with multiple cables, all have the same issue. The very fact the hopper box is trying to force HDCP 2.2 on non 4K content means their is something wrong with it.

Can you even buy a 4k TV that doesn't support Netflix 4k through it's internal app? I don't see what benefit this is.

Yes you can, or at least you could. Many older 4K TVs are not compatible due to lack of HDCP 2.2. Also the box crashes on any TV without HDCP 2.2 which is almost all non 4K TVs as well.

Clearly the box should not be demanding HDCP 2.2 when Netflix doesn't require it for non 4K, and it should not crash the box if it doesn't see 2.2. The box should never crash in this manner, to require it be unplugged and replugged in. I am just annoyed since when it first crashed, I was recording something, and ended up loosing 10 minutes of the recording. I will just be using the Netflix app from my smart TV from now on.

So what do you have to do to watch Netflix in 4k now? My Netflix through the Hopper is still just 1080, I have to go through my TV Netflix app to get it in 4k.

Anyone? Hello? Are wemathis and I the only people that can't get Netflix in 4k on our Hopper3's?
There seems to be many possibilities.
1. Netflix has actually been in and out.
2. Some tv's pop in if sports bar is switched
3. Some using wrong hdmi slot (non hdcp 2.2)
4. Some didn't pay for 4k from netflix.
5. Some had 1.4 hdmi not 2.0a
6. Some mentioned a HIGH setting on Web sight (netflix)
7. Using non 2.2 AVR.

I'm sure there is more.....

There seems to be many possibilities.
1. Netflix has actually been in and out.
2. Some tv's pop in if sports bar is switched
3. Some using wrong hdmi slot (non hdcp 2.2)
4. Some didn't pay for 4k from netflix.
5. Some had 1.4 hdmi not 2.0a
6. Some mentioned a HIGH setting on Web sight (netflix)

I'm sure there is more.....

I have all of that covered. The issue is the H3, not with me, the TV, my account, or the input. I can get 4K content on everything BUT the H3 Netflix App.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)