DISH’s Hopper 3 DVR Now Supports Netflix in Ultra HD 4K

Well, you did buy a 4K tv way too prematurely.
2014??
You have no one but yourself to blame.
Maybe you should have listened to the majority of posters and not the tech geeks that still claim 4K is going to be the Main Stream in 2016.
That's laughable at best.

Yes it sucks, but to buy a 4K tv 2 years ago, was not smart, and to spend $6000 on it no less, well enough said.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active
I didn't spend $6K on it, but it is a $6K TV. If I had spent 6K on it, I would be even more pissed.

I guess I am just tired of how the movie industry thinks that they can treat us. Why even bring out the new TVs until the standards have been set and agreed upon?

What troubles me most is how consumers, not only put up with it, but then turn around and blame the early adopters. Like it's somehow our fault that a new unnecessary digital content protection is brought to the market. It only hurts the paying consumers.

I only have myself to blame? Maybe I should have listened to the majority of posters? How about, maybe the TV shouldn't have been manufactured until a standard was in place? How about, maybe they shouldn't be allowed to market it as a 4K TV if it's not going to support 4K TV standards within the next 2 or 3 years? How about some kind of disclaimer or warning that states that there is a new copy protection in the works that may render the 4K features useless? I'm not asking for them to implement HDR. That would be a new feature. But don't create a technology feature that will just lock me out after a year or two.

TV manufacturers love this because we all have to go out and get new sets (planned obsolescence). But only 2 years? Remember when TVs lasted 10 to 20 years or even longer? I'm not trying to get 20 years out of a new TV, but how about at least maybe 8 to 10? 2 years is atrocious.

Finally, why don't you try to put yourself in my shoes for a second? How would you like it if, in a year or two, HDCP 3.0 came out and turned off one of the major selling points of your TV? Maybe I am underestimating your willingness to go spend thousands of dollars regularly on new AV equipment.

I didn't spend $6K on it, but it is a $6K TV. If I had spent 6K on it, I would be even more pissed.

I guess I am just tired of how the movie industry thinks that they can treat us. Why even bring out the new TVs until the standards have been set and agreed upon?

What troubles me most is how consumers, not only put up with it, but then turn around and blame the early adopters. Like it's somehow our fault that a new unnecessary digital content protection is brought to the market. It only hurts the paying consumers.

I only have myself to blame? Maybe I should have listened to the majority of posters? How about, maybe the TV shouldn't have been manufactured until a standard was in place? How about, maybe they shouldn't be allowed to market it as a 4K TV if it's not going to support 4K TV standards within the next 2 or 3 years? How about some kind of disclaimer or warning that states that there is a new copy protection in the works that may render the 4K features useless? I'm not asking for them to implement HDR. That would be a new feature. But don't create a technology feature that will just lock me out after a year or two.

TV manufacturers love this because we all have to go out and get new sets (planned obsolescence). But only 2 years? Remember when TVs lasted 10 to 20 years or even longer? I'm not trying to get 20 years out of a new TV, but how about at least maybe 8 to 10? 2 years is atrocious.

Finally, why don't you try to put yourself in my shoes for a second? How would you like it if, in a year or two, HDCP 3.0 came out and turned off one of the major selling points of your TV? Maybe I am underestimating your willingness to go spend thousands of dollars regularly on new AV equipment.
I wouldn't put myself in your shoes.

I didn't buy a premature technology, And I know better then to run out an upgrade to any Brand New receiver Directv or Dish Network releases with in the first year.
No matter how much its hyped up by a retail industry.

1080p isn't even a network standard.
And you don't need a Hopper for 4K Netflix.

If I was in the market for a TV tomorrow, I would absolutely consider a 1080p tv over a 4K without another thought.
Unless the price was absolutely earth shattering on a 4K tv.

But it will be atleast 2 years before I dive into that 4K band wagon.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

I don't see 8K being a standard, the size screen you need to actually see it is bigger than the walls in most peoples houses.

They are working on OTA 4K broadcasting now, in fact saw two live demos of it when I was in Las Vegas.

For the past year tv makers have been selling HDR tv's at 500 to 800 nits but the new standard requires a minimum of 1000 nit (oled excluded). I don't even see nits listed on any of the 4K sets i've been looking at.

It never ends...... UltraHDpremiumLogoDone.jpg

I ran a test today and Netflix is not streaming in 4k either on my hopper 3 or my app for Netflix in my 2015 Sony Bravia...the good news is that it is streaming in 4k on my Minix Neo U1 as well as the 4K I am getting from my Ultraflix app....don't look for 4k from broadcasters....suggest you wait for true 4k bluray titles and cheaper 4k bluray players....are we revisiting another 3D boondogle for promised content?....stay tuned!

Kappy, I checked mine earlier and did not have the 4K shelf either... (it was there before) so don't know if Netflix is still messing with the App for the Hopper 3 or not.

I ran a test today and Netflix is not streaming in 4k either on my hopper 3 or my app for Netflix in my 2015 Sony Bravia...the good news is that it is streaming in 4k on my Minix Neo U1 as well as the 4K I am getting from my Ultraflix app....don't look for 4k from broadcasters....suggest you wait for true 4k bluray titles and cheaper 4k bluray players....are we revisiting another 3D boondogle for promised content?....stay tuned!

I get 4K with Netflix on my 2015 Sony Bravia TV with the Netflix app.

One way to find out if the TV is receiving 4K is to press the 'Display' button on the Sony remote. The top left corner will display the input to the TV; IT DOES NOT display the screen resolution, the screen resolution is always 2160. If I press the display button when watching Hopper output, it says 1080, if I'm watching a 1080 program on Netflix, it says 1080. However, when watching a 4K program like Marco Polo it shows 2160 (plus 5.1).

Display input via HDMI 4 (ARC) input from Dish HWS...
Sony-1080_zpsdvbodye1.jpg~original

Display input via Internet connection from Netflix (direct to TV)...
Sony-2160_zpswf40sbke.jpg~original

Last edited:
I have a 2015 Sony 4K tv (XBR65X800B) directly connected via HDMI to my Hopper 3, and here is my experience: go to Netflix on H3, no 4K; back to live channels and bring up sports bar mode, now it's 4K; go back to Netflix and now 4K is there. Maybe having multi view activate the 4K mode first makes it easier for the H3 Netflix app to connect at 4K.

I am up and running… had to go to account on my web browser and change settings from auto to high to get the 4k on Netflix app in both Sony and Hopper3… .can watch Netflix in 4k now in either platform.

I have a 2015 Sony 4K tv (XBR65X800B) directly connected via HDMI to my Hopper 3, and here is my experience: go to Netflix on H3, no 4K; back to live channels and bring up sports bar mode, now it's 4K; go back to Netflix and now 4K is there. Maybe having multi view activate the 4K mode first makes it easier for the H3 Netflix app to connect at 4K.

How is it possible for them to make a huge announcement about 4K Netflix on the H3 and then it not even freakin' work correctly?

Unfortunately, your solution doesn't work for me.

Kappy, I checked mine earlier and did not have the 4K shelf either... (it was there before) so don't know if Netflix is still messing with the App for the Hopper 3 or not.

Funny thing is you would think that Netflicks would not be messing with anybody. In fact they get free exposure and advertising. Unless there is a payment thing in there somewhere. But seems to be mutual beneficial to both party's. Work it out! Get it done! Move on!

Anyone yet able to receive NETFLIX on the 4K Joey? Mine still shows the COMING SOON message...
TIA

Nope. My biggest frustration. We LOVE being able to directly access Netflix on our Hopper 3, including search results, and when we switched to Dish were told by the rep that Netflix would be implemented on the 4K Joey "very soon" (yeah, I know, don't trust phone reps) but still nothing. I'd love to hear from Dish at least an approximate time - I know it involves Netflix approval, etc. but they must have some idea.

For me this is highly frustrating as I have seen it working and used it on a 4K Joey and it has worked fine. However for whatever reason Netflix has not certified it yet for the 4K Joey... even though they are the one who are writing and providing the software.

It is my understanding some at dish are frustrated too, but it out of their hands.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: charlesrshell
Thanks all,
I just called to confirm with DISH tech support, the only thing the tech could tell me was that in January 2016, they knew it wasn't working on the 4K Joey and it would be available soon... laughable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)