DISH's MPEG4 HD upgrade vs. DirecTV's MPEG4 HD upgrade

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

SummitAdvantageRetailer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 11, 2004
East Coast
Guys,

I keep hearing DISH's HD upgrade being lackluster in comparison to DirecTV's Free HD receiver after rebate deal. Look at the attached .gif file to compare DISH's to DirecTV's.

DirecTV's offer:

New or Existing customer:

$199 for H20 Receiver
$200 Rebate
AND 2-YEAR COMMITMENT FROM THE DATE OF ACTIVATION OF THAT HD RECEIVER.
If you need an AT9 dish, you may be charged either a free, $50, or a $99 AT9 dish upgrade fee.

DISH Network's offer:

New customer:

Free for 811 Receiver
$49 upgrade for 411/ViP211 Receiver (applies for retailer installs; direct installs from DISH may be upgrade fee-free)
18 month or NO COMMITMENT required

Existing customer:

-$99 upgrade IF you're a Plan A Customer
ONLY 1-year COMMITMENT required
-$149 upgrade IF you're a Plan B Customer
-$198 upgrade IF you're a Plan C Customer
2-year COMMITMENT required
-$399 MSRP Cash & Carry purchase
NO COMMITMENT required

So, what does this mean? If you're a Plan C customer, you're Plan C because you're still under another commitment or just don't have the service long enough. It could also mean that your account has had many suspensions due to non-payment. And if you're Plan C, DirecTV's MPEG4 HD plan is cheaper if you get the rebate.

If you're plan A, it's your preference to get either $99 with only 1-year commitment with DISH vs. $199 with $200 rebate and 2-year commitment with DIRECTV. And usually customers with Plan A are those that are out of commitment or near their commitment expiration dates.

So there you have it. If you like 2-year commitments, I'd advise you go with DirecTV with everything else being equal. It's cheaper for you regardless of your current situation with DirecTV. But if you don't get that rebate, you're worse off than going with DISH!

Attachments

• dishitup.gif
    dishitup.gif
    28.6 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:
SummitAdvantageRetailer said:
Guys,
I keep hearing DISH's HD upgrade being lackluster in comparison to DirecTV's Free HD receiver after rebate deal. Look at the attached .gif file to compare DISH's to DirecTV's.
DirecTV's offer:
New or Existing customer:
$199 for H20 Receiver
$200 Rebate
AND 2-YEAR COMMITMENT FROM THE DATE OF ACTIVATION OF THAT HD RECEIVER.
If you need an AT9 dish, you may be charged either a free, $50, or a $99 AT9 dish upgrade fee.
DISH Network's offer:
New customer:
Free for 811 Receiver
$49 upgrade for 411/ViP211 Receiver (applies for retailer installs; direct installs from DISH may be upgrade fee-free)
18 month or NO COMMITMENT required
Existing customer:
-$99 upgrade IF you're a Plan A Customer
-$149 upgrade IF you're a Plan B Customer
-$198 upgrade IF you're a Plan C Customer
2-year COMMITMENT required
-$399 MSRP Cash & Carry purchase
NO COMMITMENT required
So, what does this mean? If you're a Plan C customer, you're Plan C because you're still under another commitment or just don't have the service long enough. It could also mean that your account has had many suspensions due to non-payment. And if you're Plan C, DirecTV's MPEG4 HD plan is cheaper if you get the rebate.
If you're plan A, it's your preference to get either $99 with only 1-year commitment with DISH vs. $199 with $200 rebate and 2-year commitment with DIRECTV. And usually customers with Plan A are those that are out of commitment or near their commitment expiration dates.
So there you have it. If you like 2-year commitments, I'd advise you go with DirecTV with everything else being equal. It's cheaper for you regardless of your current situation with DirecTV. But if you don't get that rebate, you're worse off than going with DISH!
What sort of monthly lease expense is there if you go with the $99 plan? I presently own all my equipment, but am considering leasing an HD receiver to replace my 6000u.

What is the penality for cancelling E* before your commitment runs out? I know at D* it's either pay a pro-rated portion of what remains or return the hardware and pay nothing, just curious.

rdinkel said:
What sort of monthly lease expense is there if you go with the $99 plan? I presently own all my equipment, but am considering leasing an HD receiver to replace my 6000u.

I believe you'll pay a $5 lease fee for the new HD receiver. You'll also have to sub to the HD pack for $9.99 for at least a year when you get the upgrade.

rad said:
What is the penality for cancelling E* before your commitment runs out? I know at D* it's either pay a pro-rated portion of what remains or return the hardware and pay nothing, just curious.

Depends on what promo the customer subscribed to. If they got Free DISH, it was a flat $240. If they did DHA, they could've had DHA-12/24 or DHA No Commit or the current DHA-18. With the DHA-12/24, your cancellation was prorated quarterly. If you have the current DHA-18, your cancellation gets reduced $13.33 for each month you go into your commitment.

rdinkel said:
Hi Bob!

You're going to be better off leasing - unless MAYBE you wait for an MPEG-4 HD DVR - but the economics are unknown at this point.

Give me a call when you want to talk about gettin' it done. ;)

P.S. Thanks for that Quad, "Y" adapter & SW-21! They were waiting for me at the shop. :)

SO I may have misssed sone thing BUT I thought Dish was going ALL HD LITE!!! If that is true why would I want to send them money when they are ripping me and everyone else off....

Dog6869 said:
SO I may have misssed sone thing BUT I thought Dish was going ALL HD LITE!!! If that is true why would I want to send them money when they are ripping me and everyone else off....

you are reading in to things, Dish is only HDlite on the voom channels.....Rumors will get you everytime!

So...if I understand this and all that other that is floating around...For my 942, I'll be able to get a free exchange to a 942+, but for my 811, I have to pay $99 and sign a 1 yr committment to get a 411?

rdinkel said:
Just make sure you contact a professional retailer like the DishStore, a SatelliteGuys Gold Sponsor, and avoid the satellite shylocks.;) The DishStore is clearly the best and stand head and shoulders above the rest; I can't say enough good things about their sales, service and support!

riffjim4069 said:
Just make sure you contact a professional retailer like the DishStore, a SatelliteGuys Gold Sponsor, and avoid the satellite shylocks.;) The DishStore is clearly the best and stand head and shoulders above the rest; I can't say enough good things about their sales, service and support!

Bought a 625 and a couple of new dishes from them last month!

GeorgeLV said:
And now NYC CBS HD...

yeah but nowhere has anyone said they are going ALL HD LITE, in fact the general thought is they are working back to full resouloution, I will give them time, at least until ces before I jump all over them.:)

SummitAdvantageRetailer said:
I believe you'll pay a $5 lease fee for the new HD receiver. You'll also have to sub to the HD pack for $9.99 for at least a year when you get the upgrade.
I called Dish last night. The $99 up-front includes "professional Installation." I said that I did not need that, since I was just going to replace my existing 6000 receiver. She then said that there is a "self-install offer" that is $50 instead of the $99. And if I send them my owned 6000, with Dish paying the shipping, they will credit me another $25. So, $25 net up front and $5 a month lease fee with one-year commitment for programming.
BUT WAIT, THERE IS MORE............ Since I will be removing an owned receiver off of my account (the 6000), the $4.99 monthly charge for an additional receiver will be deleted. So that almost offsets the monthly lease charge.
Bottom line: $25 net (after returning 6000) up front and one penny more a month for a new HD receiver. Cannot beat that!

DWS44 said:
So...if I understand this and all that other that is floating around...For my 942, I'll be able to get a free exchange to a 942+, but for my 811, I have to pay $99 and sign a 1 yr committment to get a 411?

Do you own or lease those boxes? I'm in the same boat and I'm trying to figure out what my total cost as a lease customer is going to be to get upgraded to MPEG4 (1 - 942, 2- 811s). By CES I hope we have a very clear picture...no pun intended.

DWS44 said:

I think that your 942+ info is still a big rumor. As far as I know they haven't even announced the existance of the 942+ (let alone an exchange plan).

There are too many unknowns right now to make an informed and solid decision.

We should know alot more hard facts on new equipment and packages and picture quality sometime in January.

It's fun to speculate, tho.

okay so help me here, I am leasing the 811 (since august) will I have to wait till next august then pay what $99 to replace my 811? is that correct? anyone?
thanks in advance

BrettTRay said:
Did dish say anything about the people that own 811's or 6000's.
My discussion was about upgrading an owned 6000 to a leased 411/vip211. Going the once-a-year Dish'n-it-Up route. The best part is that the lease fee is almost identical to the extra receiver fee you are paying now for second or more owned receiver. So it is really just the up-front cost that you are out. In my case that should be $50 or a net of $25 if I send them my owned 6000 for a rebate.:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)