Bruce

Bender and Chloe, the real Members of the Year
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Starting a new thread, but a new subject-

Disney’s Quarterly is out

The biggest news is Disney+ , Hulu and ESPN+ are going to combine into a single app , but still be available separately if you wish.

I get all 3, great bargain since it is only $20.

Streaming losses down 26%, so still on pace for profitability in 2024

Lost about 4 Million subs, mostly from Hotstar.

Reactions: Josephinelcajon
Starting a new thread, but a new subject-

Disney’s Quarterly is out

The biggest news is Disney+ , Hulu and ESPN+ are going to combine into a single app , but still be available separately if you wish.

I get all 3, great bargain since it is only $20.

Streaming losses down 26%, so still on pace for profitability in 2024

Lost about 4 Million subs, mostly from Hotstar.

Same as you the bundle. It will make it so much easier. Switching apps is a pain. I hoope its done like others where each has its own page or link on the one app.

Reactions: herdfan

Some interesting tidbits:

A major price increase enacted in December contributed to the first-ever reported decline in Disney+ domestic subscribers during the quarter. Those are lucrative subscribers; they pay about 61% more than the global average monthly revenue per user for Disney+.

...is also planning another price increase, at least for the Disney+ ad-free tier
Not sure if that means the standalone or the bundle, but $20 is about as much as I want to spend on Disney and Hulu combined. If they had a bundle without ESPN+ for $20, I'd still subscribe.

and so it begins, merging. All in one app but you can still sub individually, for now. What do you want to bet in a year or so that option goes away as being "redundant" and as an operation costs saver? Right now being able to sub to only those services you are interested in at a low price makes streaming attractive but I suspect you're going to see more and more mergers until what you will essentially have are just a few streaming cable company style operators offering umpteen channels at cable level pricing. None of these services that are suffering through monetary losses right now are going to continue to absorb those losses. At some point they will have to start turning a profit so don't expect these low prices to continue. Personally I don't think the current option of adding and removing at will is going to continue either. Eventually as streaming options become fewer a term commitment is going to be required. My guess is a one year commitment as a minimum.

I see it yes as a operating cost but also as a way to get people to upgrade to the bundle. With one app you see everything available. Try watching one it will offer you to upgrade. You would not see or know it was available and not be given a offer if you did not have the bundle.

I kind of felt like they already held a lot of "vault" content back. Other than Originals and a few movies, Disney+ has been a meh-burger for me. The only thing I really care about on it at the moment is the rest of Andor and Loki. The other Star Wars and Marvel stuff is just ok. Hopefully they are able to focus on making more excellent content and less "just ok" stuff.

I kind of felt like they already held a lot of "vault" content back. Other than Originals and a few movies, Disney+ has been a meh-burger for me. The only thing I really care about on it at the moment is the rest of Andor and Loki. The other Star Wars and Marvel stuff is just ok. Hopefully they are able to focus on making more excellent content and less "just ok" stuff.
A LOT of people were/are very upset at the amount of vault material available! And with Disney continued erasing history and remaking everything more in line with their agendas I do not see us ever getting to see much more the vault! If you look hard enough, you will find something wrong with everything. I do not agree with trying to eliminate history at all even Hitler. Rather we should learn from it never forget it and never allow it to happen again is much better! Enough of my rant. I have enjoyed the few things available from the vault and some of the new original content. The main reason I joined it was the vault and hopped to see more new content on the history and Indepth look at the parks rides and movies. I was also hopping for some shows to return like "The Wonderful World of Disney" and others that I enjoyed so much growing up.

A walk down memory lane:

And the new price will be??? Because you know they are going to go up. Personally I subscribe to Disney Plus but because my wife and son like it, but I don't really watch much on it. Hulu I only subscribe to when they have Handmaids Tale and then drop it after the season is over. :rolleyes:
It is hard at me to get mad at streaming services for raising prices, Cable and Satellite does it every year and invented all those fees , the main reason why they have lost about 45 million subscribers since 2015, continues to lose, now at 2 million every quarter leaving.

And the new price will be??? Because you know they are going to go up. Personally I subscribe to Disney Plus but because my wife and son like it, but I don't really watch much on it. Hulu I only subscribe to when they have Handmaids Tale and then drop it after the season is over. :rolleyes:
Of course they will raise the price. They are combining two services into one.

Of course they will raise the price. They are combining two services into one.
They already have that. I have the Disney+, Hulu, ESPN+ bundle for $20 monthly. Of course I have to use individual apps to access each of them. I really have no issue with that.

Less content. Check.

Higher prices. Check.

On some sort of undefined "pace" to somehow make a profit, someday. Because in X year, X will be different, and, unlike today, more people will actually be willing to pay for the content than it cost to produce. Check.

Exactly what was going to be different in 2 years? I forget.

Less content. Check.

Higher prices. Check.
You are correct, that is what Cable and Satellite have become, first the higher prices and now less content along with those prices.

With streaming, we get all that content from Broadcast/Cable Channels plus a ton of exclusive content, all for a less expensive price.

Thank you whatever deity you might believe in for streaming.

• Haha
Reactions: SamCdbs
You are correct, that is what Cable and Satellite have become, first the higher prices and now less content along with those prices.

With streaming, we get all that content from Broadcast/Cable Channels plus a ton of exclusive content, all for a less expensive price.

Thank you whatever deity you might believe in for streaming.
Except you Don't get the same stuff as you do from Sat ...

Sure, I suppose you could if you wanted to sub to like 4-5 different Apps to get the same you do from one place now.

• Haha
Reactions: meStevo
Except you Don't get the same stuff as you do from Sat ...
Except for some sports, I cannot think of any.

And sports are moving over to streaming, caused by the upcoming collapse of the RSNs or moving over to streaming for higher rights fees, like the Big Ten leaving ESPN for Peacock, Paramount and the OTA stations.

This year, every NFL Game will be streaming, no one could have thought that just two years ago.
Sure, I suppose you could if you wanted to sub to like 4-5 different Apps to get the same you do from one place now.
And still be a lot less expensive, I know someone will write FOR NOW, but no one can anticipate the future, of course prices will go up, but how much and how fast.

It is not like Cable/Satellite is about to have a price freeze.

Also with streaming, you are not forced to get services for content you will never watch, for me that would be the Florida RSN and Discovery content like Food Network.

I still do not understand this aversion to different apps, I find it much like changing channel, to leave a app, hit the Home Button on a Roku Remote, then hit OK on a different app, click on content, rinse and repeat.

Last edited: