Disney plus coming to the hopper?

bluegras

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
have anyone thought of contacting dish about adding disney plus to the hopper 3 dvr? maybe a suggestion or a thought thanks :)

have anyone thought of contacting dish about adding disney plus to the hopper 3 dvr? maybe a suggestion or a thought thanks :)
Well have you contacted DISH about adding Disney+ to the Hopper DVR. If so, you’ve already completed that task. If not, do so and be done with it. Titling the thread the way you have makes it sound like it could happen, even with the question mark. Stop asking others to do what you want to happen....

Am I the only one who doesn't use or care about the apps on Dish network? It's not that hard for me to change an input and use a roku or fire stick. The one time I tried Nextflix through dish it didn't have 5.0 audio and the picture was not even close to the quality as it is through my Roku. Maybe it's just me.

Am I the only one who doesn't use or care about the apps on Dish network? It's not that hard for me to change an input and use a roku or fire stick. The one time I tried Nextflix through dish it didn't have 5.0 audio and the picture was not even close to the quality as it is through my Roku. Maybe it's just me.
You are not alone. The only person who continues to go on and on about adding apps to the H3 is Alan. I find it funny because he actually owns another streaming device and we have told him over many years to use that for those kinds of apps.

To further this, let's look at two available apps on the Hopper/Joey system, Netflix and Amazon Prime. Starting with Netflix, it is available on both the Hopper and 4K Joey in 4K but no HDR on either. Amazon Prime, Is available on the Hopper3 in 4K and HDR but is not available on the Joeys at all. I contend that this is because the Joeys are not HDR compatible and also are DD+ non-compatible. So, the providers, Netflix and Amazon, are not allowing DISH to provide these services because the Joeys can not support them.

Now, let's add Disney+, as requested by Alan. Disney+ has 4K, HDR, and Atmos sound, as do Netflix and Amazon. What is Disney going to ask DISH to do regarding the Joey non-support? Leave off HDR entirely like, Netflix. Don't provide the app on the Joey like Amazon. Until Joeys are able to support everything a Hopper can all of this is just a waste of energy. Perhaps a Joey 4, if that ever comes to pass, will address these shortcomings. Until then use your Roku, AppleTV, Firestick, Shield....

My LG smart tv is loaded with more apps than I can use and my TiVo has a lot. Dish quality is so bad, I do not use any of its' apps. The ones on the smart tv are best because they do not have to go through any cables or av receivers.

I don't use any of them either. Prime on every other platform lets me stream HBO (Westworld is a trip this year) so it's pointless. Youtube is rough. Netflix is always an issue and I listen to SiriusXM (or Amazon Music), not Pandora

My wife and I were big on the apps because it made switching to other services and then back to Dish so easy. We were very happy with the addition of the Netflix and Amazon Prime apps, because with our old TV we would have to hit the TV button on the Dish remote, then hit the Input button to switch to Roku, then wait a few seconds for a delay before the system recognized our choice and acted on it. Then, after watching Roku for a while, we would hit the Input button on the Dish remote 3 times to get back to the Dish receiver input, wait for another delay, and then hit the Sat button to get rid of Dish's warning that the remote wasn't set to operate the satellite. Not awful, but inconvenient and not terribly fast. And sometimes the remote didn't catch one of my Input button presses, and would switch to the wrong input.

We recently purchased a Sony 4K TV, and got an Apple TV box to make mirroring from our iPads and iPhones easier. I was very pleased to discover by accident that hitting the Menu button on the Apple TV automatically switches the TV to that input, and hitting the Sat button on the Dish remote switches the TV back to that input! Can't ask for the process to be easier. And beyond that, the picture quality IS noticeably better when viewing other services. I now agree that other apps are no longer interest me.

Perhaps the ability to switch more quickly between Roku and Dish using Home on Roku and Sat on Dish was always there, and I just didn't know it.

... The only person who continues to go on and on about adding apps to the H3 is Alan. ....
This is the only thing in your post that I can disagree with. You forgot about me! Although in my case, I tend to go on and on when apps do get added to the Hopper 3, but do not also become available on the Hopper Duo or Wally. I suspect that the same reasons apply for those receivers as the ones you listed for the Joeys. So, perhaps a Wally 4K or a Hopper Duo 2 will address these shortcomings.

Let's not forget that Dish already had a Disney app (never officially labeled as "Disney" but that's what it was) called More Video Services. I started the thread when that app was removed recently, and complained loudly about the removal in that thread. Having just removed the one Disney app that they already had, I highly doubt that Dish is looking to add a new Disney+ app. Even if Dish does add Disney+ it will likely only be available on the Hopper 3, for reasons that were already stated. So, swapping from More Video Services to Disney+ would simply be another case where Wally and Hopper Duo customers lost an app so that Hopper 3 can gain one. If that actually happens, that would tick me off even more! :mad:

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
and then hit the Sat button to get rid of Dish's warning that the remote wasn't set to operate the satellite. Not awful, but inconvenient and not terribly fast. And sometimes the remote didn't catch one of my Input button presses, and would switch to the wrong input.

You can turn that warning off in the settings.

I would like Disney + on both hopper and Joey. I don’t use a fire stick or Roku on either of my start TVs, one a high end but older Samsung and the other a hisense 4K. Neither have the Disney + apps (yet, if ever).
Plus good or bad (from a software perspective), dish is pretty good with a consistent UI, and a single well thought out remote. For some reason my Samsung TV (master bedroom) has both a bad UI and bad remote, using Netflix through my hopper is just easier for my wife.
Kinda all the people who buy ota dongles rather than use the TVs built in tuner.

I would like Disney + on both hopper and Joey. I don’t use a fire stick or Roku on either of my start TVs, one a high end but older Samsung and the other a hisense 4K. Neither have the Disney + apps (yet, if ever).
Plus good or bad (from a software perspective), dish is pretty good with a consistent UI, and a single well thought out remote. For some reason my Samsung TV (master bedroom) has both a bad UI and bad remote, using Netflix through my hopper is just easier for my wife.
Kinda all the people who buy ota dongles rather than use the TVs built in tuner.
If the TV had built-in DVR, I would agree with that sentiment.

I completely agree with you as for my preferred use, however, I know a great many H3 users who DEPEND upon the apps on the H3 to access Netflix. These people tend to be older and--YES, they do have a VERY hard time changing inputs to access the Roku's and Fire TV's they have and they STILL have problems even if they attempt to use a Harmony remote that has been programmed for them. Yes, it seems simple, but a great many people knocking on and past 60 are now having problems juggling their life and, especially technology--eventhough they were very good with tech when they were younger.

Just one (of many) example(s): One dear aunt and uncle (a married couple) LOVE accessing Netflix with H3 so much because it is far easier for them, they have even forgotten they have a Roku still connected that they USED to use, which means they can NOT access their Amazon Video via the Roku's. Now they are so excited about the Amazon app on the H3 becaues now they can view and use their Amazon Video account. Before the Netflix app on H3, they were having occasional problems using the Harmony to switch to the Roku and had to call me a number of times as they just don't remember anything they were told last time and what seems intuituve to me or you is just a foreign language to them: they are truly lost and can't get it back to regular Dish TV until I talk them through it on the phone to fix things. The Harmony is NOT infallible (it has mucked things up on ocassion when I attempt to use mine), but it is EASY for me to fix and work around and get things--including the Harmony--back to what it should be, but not for the aged to do so.

Have a little compassion for the many now aging (we will all eventually get there) who were once as sharp as you, but who actually do BENIFIT and DEPEND upon apps on the H3 and adds to their entertainment options. You and I have no need for these apps on the H3 (my Fire TV's run circles around the H3 experience and even the horrid TiVo experience with apps); we do not and will not use them, but others are welcome to use them if they choose. Yes, as one who now has many aged people in my family, I DO CARE about apps on the H3--I don't care for me, but I CARE about other people and I do care about others who actually do prefer or need apps on their H3's.

So, yes, Disney+ wold be a nice app on the H3, but it is something I would not use on the H3. And considering how warm and fuzzy Ergen and Iger have been (Mr. Iger is still part of Disney "supervising" or "mentoring" the new CEO), I would not doubt that both Dish and Disney are at least discussing the possiblity of a Disney+ app on the H3.

Reactions: Miner
I have kind of the opposite perspective. I have no need for the H3. However, if there are going to be apps on the H3, then I think they should make them compatible with all models of receiver that use the Hopper interface, including the Hopper Duo and Wally. I am not just being selfish to try to get these apps for my own use. I am also thinking of the great many people who choose these lower-model receivers, either simply because they are cheaper (with lower monthly fees or no fees) or because they are much simpler and easier to use than the H3 with all of its bells and whistles and fancy features. I would imagine that many of those great many older people that DishSubLA was talking about would fall into this category of people who would choose either a Hopper Duo or Wally. Therefore, if the main purpose of adding these apps to the Hopper system is to provide help for the older population who may not be as good at changing inputs on the TV or using other devices, then Dish should be working to integrate as many of these apps as possible into the lowest-model receivers possible. Instead, we basically just get Netflix and Pandora, and really nothing else of value unless you are lucky enough to live in a market where Locast is available.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts