Distance from reciever to second box

needn2know

Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
secluded
I have a satellite receiver with a second box in another room. I would like to take the second box out and run it to a workshop behind the house, about 200 ft. Would this work or is that too far away from the receiver?

OK...my husband says it can't be done. But, I'm going to buy a roll of cable and try it. I researched on some of the other threads here that I might need an amplifier or booster? And I'm not talking about from the satellite to the reciever, the issue is from the reciever to the second TV. l will stop by radio shack and ask them. Please if anybody has a tip....post it. I'd love to prove him wrong. : )

When you say "second box", are you talking about a second satellite receiver or another TV?

If it is another satellite receiver, don't bother. The length of the run is from the dish to the remote location as the cable lays.

If it is another TV working off of the RF modulator, your prospects are pretty good for it working with just a cable.

needn2know said:
OK...my husband says it can't be done. But, I'm going to buy a roll of cable and try it. I researched on some of the other threads here that I might need an amplifier or booster? And I'm not talking about from the satellite to the reciever, the issue is from the reciever to the second TV. l will stop by radio shack and ask them. Please if anybody has a tip....post it. I'd love to prove him wrong. : )

It just might work. In our house, the csble run to our second tv is probably around 80 ft with no problem. Also, if there is a significant signal drop, there are no doubt small signal boosters available at the Shack or other hobbyist resource businesses. Use good connectors and cable, of course. Some of the hobbyist on here should have ideas on this also.

Thank You! I got 250ft of RG6 cable, stripped the ends and screwed on connectors. It worked! The only problem now is that the remote still has to work off of the receiver in the house. I have to bring the remote inside to change the channel. But I'm going to try and move the reciever around to where I might can point it out of the workshop window and "see" the remote inside...somehow. ?

Don't waste your money on remote extenders. All you need is two standard two-way splitters and 3 small pieces of rg6 cable with the ends on them. The pieces only have to be 4"-6" inches in length. The goal is to remove the antenna from the back of the rcvr and relocate the antenna to where the 2nd TV is. Then your TV2 remote is not trying to cover 200' to reach the rcvr. Besides, the TV2 remote only has at best a 75'-100' range, barring any obstructions such as wall, floors, cabinets, etc.

Refer to the following link which will give you the exact diagrams on how to extend the remote antenna.

https://rweb.dishnetwork.com/depart.../tech/remotes/howto/TechRemo_uhf_extend.shtml

I feel compelled to point out that if the OP subscribes to DIRECTV, many of their receivers don't have an external antenna so an extender may be required if the included remote doesn't reach.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)