Distant DNS and HD equip???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

awax

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 9, 2003
Fayetteville, Arkansas
Ok I just got a new plasma HD set and wanted to know about HD DNS. My service address is in 72852 and the DTV DNS tool says I qualify for HD DNS but not SD DNS because locals are available. I already had SD DNS and then locals were added. I have dished pointed at 101, 119 and 72.5.

Do I qualify for HD DNS and if so how much $$?
Which sat is HD DNS on?
Is HD DNS available without the HD pak?

I already had SD DNS and then locals were added. I have dished pointed at 101, 119 and 72.5

3 separate dishes? What is you full setup now - dish(es), switch, number of total receivers and their makes?

I would recommend upgrading to the newest 5 LNB model dish for the future or at least the PhaseIII version for now.

Do I qualify for HD DNS and if so how much $$?

Yes, according to the zip code and the DNS tool.

"CURRENT CUSTOMERS - If you currently have DIRECTV® service, and are eligible for DNS and want to add this service to your programming package, call 1-800-531-5000. When you call, you’ll also find out how to apply for a waiver. If eligible, a cost of $1.50 per month for each DNS channel will be added to your current programming package."

Which sat is HD DNS on?

CBS-E/W and NBC-E are on 101.0°w

NBC-W, ABC-E/W, and FOX-E/W and on 119.0°w

Is HD DNS available without the HD pak?

I have had mine for so long I honestly don't remember; I think no however.

So your current dish is one oval standard 18" and one of the older ELLIPTICAL PhaseII multi-LNB models? If you can find a SAT-C kit that will upgrade it somewhat to a PhaseIII (the PhaseIII is an elliptical all-in one multi-LNB and multi-switch for 4 lines). As long as you do not need to get the entire HD Pack (which also needs to see 110.0°w), you should be good to go now. Just call and add the programming to your account. The newest 5 location multi-LNB dish is also elliptical and adds the 102.8°w and 99.2°w locations. No matter which way you decide togo, you will still need the standard oval 18" 2nd dish for your 72.5°w locals; as you likely already figured.

Also, what HD receiver to you plan on adding to your account?

Last edited:
So your current dish is one oval standard 18" and one of the older ELLIPTICAL PhaseII multi-LNB models? If you can find a SAT-C kit that will upgrade it somewhat to a PhaseIII (the PhaseIII is an elliptical all-in one multi-LNB and multi-switch for 4 lines). As long as you do not need to get the entire HD Pack (which also needs to see 110.0°w), you should be good to go now. Just call and add the programming to your account. The newest 5 location multi-LNB dish is also elliptical and adds the 102.8°w and 99.2°w locations. No matter which way you decide togo, you will still need the standard oval 18" 2nd dish for your 72.5°w locals; as you likely already figured.

Also, what HD receiver to you plan on adding to your account?
Well I think I am going to upgrade to the 5 lnb dish and get a new HD receiver. I'll have to self install since I don't want to change my address from my hunting shack to my house since the hunting shack qualifies for all distants.

here is your answer

i can tell you first hand about your eligibility for dns because i too qualified for hd locals.actually only on fox. the installer came this morning and hooked up my hd programming but my dns fox channels in hd were not coming in. i called directv and told them i was eligible like you for some dns locals. they checked on it and concurred with me ,however when they tried to give me those channels 88 &89 they said the computer would not give themto me.they said even though i qualified for those channels that a waiver would have to go thru first which could take 45 days,it baffles me too. why say were eligible for hd fox and then not be able to give them to me? this just happened to me today.p.s. i called directv a week ago to verify i could receive those channels and they said yes, now go figure.

zip

zip code 17701. under the directv eligibility page it says i am eligible for hd fox feeds but they wont give them to me without a waiver.

Maybe some affiliate in that PA (or close) DMA is just now challenging and the page is not up to date. OR maybe you are eligible, but only after waivers go through some "hands" of the area's affiliate so they can have a record? Who knows, the NAB and the affiliates have made all these BS hoops and crap from everyone to jump through.

i agree

i agree .its alot of bs.until i am receiving my hd locals they should give them to me. any idea when wilkes-barre scranton get hd?

I am in 15558 and the very SAME thing happened to us. We are eligible for HD CBS and ABC without the waivers (and i did check it out myself thru decisionmark), but even going as thru every layer of D*s tech staff, the channels have never been turned on.
I am okay with that, however, just as long as I get to keep my E/W DNS as long as possible.

Did you talk to the "HD DNS Eligibility Department?"

It took me three phone calls but I got them activated. No problem once I got the right department.

Although I thought no waivers were needed, actually the waivers were automatic--I got a card a few days later saying I got the waivers.

My bill did not go up. DNS was either included in the price of my locals, or the HD package.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)