Distant Network Information

Yep. There are no royalties paid for LIL. Congress did not make it legal to lie about your service address in order to get network channels. As has been pointed out repeatedly, Congress removed some of the copyright protection in order to provide network programming to the unserved. DNS was never designed as a vehicle to give you whatever station you want. Cable and DBS are different technologies and have different (although sometimes similiar) rules. Why do you find the idea that the owner of a valuable product would want to be paid for it so strange? It's bad enough that the law says content owners must "sell" to certain groups. Now you want freebies. Again we see the results of the stranglehold the NEA has on public education.

Are you making a comment about my level of intellect?

I never said I wanted something for nothing. I had no idea DISH was selling me L.A. TV and not paying L.A. for it.

What I said was, I wish Congress and the FCC would get out of the way and allow me to buy my TV from whomever or wherever I please. If Anchorage TV was as good as L.A. TV, I'd be happy to "buy" their feeds.

BTW... It's not a preference for L.A. Just a distaste for the production quality and added commercials of Anchorage TV.

I need to move....

zip code

Well I had the L.A. Locals with Dish Network,but they are all gone now dammmm lol..
Anyway I went to NPS to get my Atlanta and San Franciso Locals...
Finding out that I need a address is a WHITE area to get the Distants.
I found a very small town in Calif (Ghost type of town}that has no Local stations and only way to watch tv is to get cable or satellite and nothing on a UHf/VHF antenna..
Well I found a Street in Calif(Ghost town} that I can call home lolll and gave it to NPS 2 weeks ago..
Just called NPS a few days ago after 2 weeks, and they took my receiver# and my NEW Address again and my NYC Cellular number..Gave them my Credit card number where they will charge me every 6 months $54,,,so I will not get any bills too my NEWEST Calif address....
Geeeee I cannot believe its this easy to get the distants.....
Just pay by credit card and no bills coming to the address.......I feel like a happy camper now lol..........JohnnyT:hatsoff:

what is the zip code for the ghost town for us desperate distant viewers thanks

"...Why do you find the idea that the owner of a valuable product would want to be paid for it so strange? ..."

Perhaps what is strange is that they, the local stations, "give it away free" by OTA broadcasts. They make their money by selling advertising. The more viewers they have, the more they can charge for that advertising. It therefore seems odd that they would also expect anyone (cable or DBS) to pay to retransmit. The local station is given a favor by retransmitting, as it allows for more viewers and higher ad revenue. Granted, some local ads for local businesses may not generate sales to someone watching several hundred miles away. But other advertisers could be attracted- ones with mail, telephone and internet sales.

What is the logic? Because "they can?"

Are you making a comment about my level of intellect?

No. But I can if you wish.:) (that's a joke)

I never said I wanted something for nothing. I had no idea DISH was selling me L.A. TV and not paying L.A. for it.

Well, now you know. In any event, whether of not you pay for the signal is not the issue.

What I said was, I wish Congress and the FCC would get out of the way and allow me to buy my TV from whomever or wherever I please. If Anchorage TV was as good as L.A. TV, I'd be happy to "buy" their feeds.

But you can. Call up the station you want and ask how much. There is no law preventing you and the owner of the content from striking a deal. Just as there is no law that prohibits me from selling my car to you. Now if you club me over the head and take my car, the fact that you throw the FMV in cash at me isn't really the operative point, is it?

BTW... It's not a preference for L.A. Just a distaste for the production quality and added commercials of Anchorage TV.

I doubt that LA has any less commercials than Anchorange. The network programming is essentially the same so you must have a gripe with the local stuff. Unless you're in prison, you chose to live in Anchorage. So if the weather girl looks like Ernest Borgnine - that's the price of living there. I assume there are some advantages. Better air quality? You can even carry a concealed handgun without a license. Try that in LA.

I need to move....

I don't know if you mean in reality or as in lying about your location. If the former, I suggest Washington or New Hampshire. If the latter, you and your conscience are on your own.

I just noticed a grammatical error in my post. Rather than correct it, I will suffer public humiliation and ask if anybody can find it. Of course, there may be more than one but this is rather subtle (and often disputed).

"No. But I can if you wish.:) (that's a joke)"
"But you can. Call up...."
Starting a sentence with the word "But" is one.

"...Why do you find the idea that the owner of a valuable product would want to be paid for it so strange? ..."

Perhaps what is strange is that they, the local stations, "give it away free" by OTA broadcasts. They make their money by selling advertising. The more viewers they have, the more they can charge for that advertising. It therefore seems odd that they would also expect anyone (cable or DBS) to pay to retransmit. The local station is given a favor by retransmitting, as it allows for more viewers and higher ad revenue. Granted, some local ads for local businesses may not generate sales to someone watching several hundred miles away. But other advertisers could be attracted- ones with mail, telephone and internet sales.

What is the logic? Because "they can?"
I am all in favor of Network Broadcasters charging a fair market price for their programming on Pay TV services. Local broadcasters "lease" spectrum from the government in order to provide programming. In exchange, they are required to provide a variety of public services, as well as abide by a variety of rules & regulations enforced by the FCC...which certainly limits their programming capabilities (no nudity, vulgarity, epithets, etc.). Local broadcast signals are free of charge to those who receive them with an OTA antenna...they are not free of charge to commercial pay TV entities. These rules seem quite fair to everyone concerned. Additionally, the last time I looked...USA, TBS, TNT, and almost all the other "cable favorites" that are "Cable Owned & Operated" were running just as many, if not more, commercials than the broadcasters. Why are people having to pay Comcast and Time Warner just to watch their commercial laden programming; don't they make money from their advertisers? Why don't the cable networks pick up the overhead costs of running the local cable plants and provide service free-of-charge to their customers? Likewise, why aren't the "cable favorites" providing their programming free-of-charge to satellite providers? Wouldn't they make more money selling advertising time?

The day that cable is provided free-of-charge is the day I will support carriage of local broadcast networks free-of-charge. Until then, customers are subscribing to a "Pay TV" service and should be prepared to pay fair market value to receive the most popular programs (CSI, Criminal Minds, NCIS, Numbers, Survivor, Cold Case, 24, Bones, American Idol, Grey's Anatomy, Desperate Housewives, Boston Legal, Law & Order, etc., etc.). Again, most people can receive free OTA programming by erecting an indoor/outdoor antenna...so no one is forcing them to pay for free OTA programming. However, I do agree that certain provisions in the law should be made for those unserved people who are unable to receive network broadcast programming in their area, free of charge...but laziness and apathy should not be provisioned.

A bigger injustice in my opinion is making people pay for programming they do not watch in any form or in any fashion. Why should a customer pay to view local broadcast programming on cable when they already receive it with their free over-the-air antenna? Likewise, why should any customer pay "Big $$$" to ESPN with their basic cable/satellite subscription when they don't even watch sports? Why don't cable boxes come with an NTSC/ATSC and fully integrate free broadcast programing into the customers EPG? Why does Dish Network force a customer into subscribing to their locals package in order to receive guide data for their digital broadcast locals that is actually part of the PSIP datastream?

Last edited:
Not a bad guess but not it. In some situations (like mine) it is not an error. Here the first part (no) was separated in order to provide softening and focus. Combining into one sentence - "No but I can..." sounds threatening. In my version there is an inherent pause (waiting for the punchline). I agree that it is not the norm. Want to play again?

"No. But I can if you wish.:) (that's a joke)"
"But you can. Call up...."
Starting a sentence with the word "But" is one.

OK new fairly new customer to E* here and I searched for my answers but most of the threads that pertained to this had better than 20 pages to filter through so I am going to ask a few questions.

1. Did the NDS deal get killed? Can we get the distant locals from Atlanta and SF?

2. If it didn't get killed then has anybody in Chicago got the waivers from the locals? I would think that since the site says I need waivers from the 4 locals that the deal is still good but you never know if the site was updated after the deal was killed.

3. If we can get the DNS from these cities are the major sports blacked out on these stations? While I was with D* I was able to get the NYC locals while having the Chicago locals and I was able to watch the NFL and MLB games. It would be a big part of my decision to get these added.

4. Not related to the NDS deal but related to distant locals. I have the superstation package with E* and have watched a few Mets games on WPIX and tonight watched a Raiders game on KTLA. Obviously MLB doesn't blackout the MLB games but does the NFL blackout the regular season games?

1. Did the NDS deal get killed? Can we get the distant locals from Atlanta and SF?

It's still good. The courts threw out the suit and said NPS is another company and not barred like Dish is. So yes you can get NPS IF YOU QUALIFY for distant networks. See https://www.mydistantnetworks.com/

2. If it didn't get killed then has anybody in Chicago got the waivers from the locals? I would think that since the site says I need waivers from the 4 locals that the deal is still good but you never know if the site was updated after the deal was killed.

Getting waivers from TV stations so you can watch some other channels is next to impossible! Good luck!

3. If we can get the DNS from these cities are the major sports blacked out on these stations?
No blackouts.

4. Not related to the NDS deal but related to distant locals. I have the superstation package with E* and have watched a few Mets games on WPIX and tonight watched a Raiders game on KTLA. Obviously MLB doesn't blackout the MLB games but does the NFL blackout the regular season games?
There are no regular season NFL games on the Superstations. It's not that they are blacked out...there just aren't regular season NFL games on those channels.

For the EKB's page on NPS/AAD see Dishnets / NPS Distant Networks Page

See ya
Tony

Getting waivers from TV stations so you can watch some other channels is next to impossible! Good luck!

See ya
Tony

Thanks Tony.

That leaves me with one question still I guess. Since the the Chicago locals are all O&O are the ones in SF and Atlanta also? If so that might make it easier to get the waivers.

Oh wait I have a second question. Since NPS charges $3 for the waiver request are they the ones that file for the waiver or do I have to do it?

Thanks Tony.

That leaves me with one question still I guess. Since the the Chicago locals are all O&O are the ones in SF and Atlanta also? If so that might make it easier to get the waivers.

Oh wait I have a second question. Since NPS charges $3 for the waiver request are they the ones that file for the waiver or do I have to do it?

Well, CBS has told their local 0&0 stations to deny waivers. So much for that theory.

The law stipulates that the provider(NPS) must be the one which applies for the waiver on your behave.

Well, CBS has told their local 0&0 stations to deny waivers. So much for that theory.
If the local is O&O and the and the distant is also why would any of the networks care? I think they could use it against their advertisers and tell them that they are reaching a larger market.:confused:

Try the zipcode for 71945 it qualifies for all distants without waivers. You can have different physical addresses listed for DISH and AllAmerican Direct. I did it for a few months till they went up on the price. I had Houston locals in hd & sd for DISH and used Arkansas for AllAmerican. I decided that the pq wasn't as good as the overcompressed SD DISH locals, so I dropped them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts