Distant Networks and Grandfather Clause

Status
Please reply by conversation.
i upgraded to Genie with pro install, DECABB, 2 mini clients and pro install for 149.00. They did not remove my grandfathered DNS service then, nor did they remvoe them when i added locals when my area finally got them last year. Nor the year before that when i changed my package, nor each time i have added/removed premium channels. So i would say you have an excellent shot at keeping them.

There are posters that said they didn't lose their DNS when they got whole home. When you got hd in 2007, did you start receiving your local channels in hd?

When I started in '97 I was with a Sony friends and family deal. i got a free box and dish and self-installed. I could not get all the locals. it wasn't a big deal back then so they just gave me DNS. I think I did have to get a waiver from Fox. From there I did three coast to coast moves, kept my mouth shut and did self-installs. Bought my own TiVo during that period too. That all changed in 2007 when I wanted HD. Even if possible I don't know if it was financially feasible to do a self-install so I called up and ordered HD. In the process I lost DNS as they said I no longer qualified as Locals were available through them. End of story. Maybe just an unlucky day and got the wrong CSR. You place your bet and take your chances.

When I started in '97 I was with a Sony friends and family deal. i got a free box and dish and self-installed. I could not get all the locals. it wasn't a big deal back then so they just gave me DNS. I think I did have to get a waiver from Fox. From there I did three coast to coast moves, kept my mouth shut and did self-installs. Bought my own TiVo during that period too. That all changed in 2007 when I wanted HD. Even if possible I don't know if it was financially feasible to do a self-install so I called up and ordered HD. In the process I lost DNS as they said I no longer qualified as Locals were available through them. End of story. Maybe just an unlucky day and got the wrong CSR. You place your bet and take your chances.

Yes, if you have a waiver they are supposed to remove DNS when you get locals. If you have grandfathered DNS (nothing to do with whether you have locals or not) then getting your own locals should NOT remove your DNS although often the CSR does remove them. And once they are removed, they can't get them back.

Dumb question probably but what is DNS (or VIP Channels)? Is this referring to specific programming packages? I have Choice Xtra Classic (which as everyone knows is no longer offered as a package) and I have had for over 10 years and it has survived 2 moves using the "Movers Connection" and I still have Choice Xtra. If DNS/VIP has nothing to do with this then -----> :confused:

oops.gif scratch everything I just said...:)

DNS is an acronym for Distant Network Service, at one time many were not served with local networks and these nets from NY & LA gave subscribers them.

When i left directv 3 and a half years ago i had the east coast dns channela plus lifetime dvr service ,i read on the directv terms of service i should get back my lifetime service back,but would they let me have my dns channels back?

When i left directv 3 and a half years ago i had the east coast dns channela plus lifetime dvr service ,i read on the directv terms of service i should get back my lifetime service back,but would they let me have my dns channels back?

when you cancel your account you lose grandfathered status...even if you dont move

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)