Distant Networks on VOOM????

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Trouthead

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Rockies
Other than transponder space and enough customers, what would prevent VOOM from offering a distant network package in HD???? They could certainly free up space by dropping a few of the VOOM exclusive HD channels, there are a few that have little use. I am not talking local stations but a full HD grouping of ABC.CBS, NBC, and FOX (when HD)

Now I don't pretend to understand the SHVA completly but something is wrong with the law and the system. Protecting the locals will never make sense to me in the free enterprise capitalistic American buisness climate.

Something is wrong when you can live in Canada and watch HD American networks off statellite, but I as an American taxpayer cannot. UNLESS you lie about your address (and then only CBS) or UNLESS you are grandfathered in on a satallite sytem and then never change. I get SD networks off a C-Band. How would it hurt my locals any more if I got HD networks off a VOOM system. I don't watch local networks anyhow.

No networks are broadcast in HD in my whole state (Wyoming) except for a local PBS occaisonal program. I know that someday with an antenna I will be able to pick up some local networks. The problem is putting up a very large antenna and rotor, in an area that regularly gets 110mph winds (every two years or so).

SVHA is a one size fits all that doesn't work for HD or rural America. We are certainly behind Canada in the ability for the whole population to enjoy HD. If HD is going to be make it then networks are essential.

How many HD freaks watched VOOM last night when the NCAA's were on? I sure didn't. VOOM better realize that a big market is the regular sports fans. MLB, NBA, and NFL has a huge market share. I can't imagine watching Gallery HD on VOOM at 7:00 PM on a Monday night during football season.

Well I am glad I got that off my chest!

Other than transponder space and enough customers, what would prevent VOOM from offering a distant network package in HD???? They could certainly free up space by dropping a few of the VOOM exclusive HD channels, there are a few that have little use. I am not talking local stations but a full HD grouping of ABC.CBS, NBC, and FOX (when HD)
First, they would probably have to remove two of their exclusive channels for every network channel, given the differences in content and encoding between those channels and the networks. They are not going to do this, for the simple reason that the exclusive channels are a major marketing tool.

Second, only a very small % of customers would quality for distant networks under the new rules, so the cost in bandwidth would not be worth it. They are not going to throw away 10 HD channels that 100% of their customers can receive for 5 HD channels that 5% of their customers can receive. Plenty of folks currently receive "grandfathered" networks under the old rules, but those will be shutoff on December 31, 2004.

Dish Network has lobbied for legislation or a ruling that would permit HDTV network signals to be delivered into any market where they are not currently available. They haven't had any success so far.

Trouthead said:
How many HD freaks watched VOOM last night when the NCAA's were on? I sure didn't. VOOM better realize that a big market is the regular sports fans. MLB, NBA, and NFL has a huge market share. I can't imagine watching Gallery HD on VOOM at 7:00 PM on a Monday night during football season.
Actually, I did a hybrid last night which worked out great. I watched the UEFA Cup soccer match with CBS on PIP.

Ok

I'll conceide that was a possibility. I grew up playing HS soccer in NY state in the 1960's and it is a rare treat until VOOM to be able to watch world class football.

But my point is still not enough sports, and some type of NETWORK feed. If VOOM is the HD satellite it needs more mainstream porgraming. I'm not sold on the exclusive VOOM channel just yet. Most subscriber would give up one of them for ESPN HD along with the deuce and ESPN news.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)