Distants again ...

roadrhino

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 11, 2004
I've not received any letter from Dish stating I need to choose between Distant Networks (DNS) and locals. It's been a while since anyone here has reported receiving any such letter. I'm wondering whether Dish sent the letters out all at one point in time and not having received one is a good sign.

How about another poll?

Roadrhino

Under my account, which should be right where it takes you once you're registered. At the top it told me I needed to make a choice. It still shows that I cose to keep distants & shows the exact time I made the choice. See below:

At the top of the first "My Account" screen:

To make and review your Grandfather election to choose locals or distants- click here.>

After I made the choice:

Grandfather Protection Election

On 02/05/2005 16:38:27, you elected to keep your distant network programming and to not have your local stations.

Sparkman said:
Register & go on their website. If you were supposed to get one, it will tell you so there.

Been there, done that.

I didn't see anything on the site that indicates they've sent a card or that they will be.

With my address they now indicate that I am eligible only for locals but my billing indicates they are charging me for locals and DNS.

So, where should I look?

Roadrhino

-----

Just saw your reply, Sparkman.

There appears to be nothing of that sort in my account anywhere. What is odd is that I moved to this location in Sep 2004 and qualified for DNS and locals at that point in time. I have not requested a waiver, but it is definitely a location that will NOT receive any signal (let alone grade B) over the air. I figured the end of DNS is coming (my wife wants to keep locals over DNS and I am not going to argue if push comes to shove).

I don't know that anyone here knows for sure, but I am now wondering (based on your info) whether that section of the "My Account" is added ONLY for those who are going to be forced to choose or only after one has made the choice.

Things that make you go "hmmmm".

Apparently they're also following up with phone calls. I got the letter some time ago but just got around to making my choice to keep 2 DNS I have and letting my Lils go. I did this online 2 or 3 days ago. This morning I got a call from a CSR asking if I'd received my card and if I'd made a choice yet.

Interresting side note: I've only had 2 of the 4 DNS, Fox & NBC out of NY. I told the CSR that I'd read recently that DNS could still be added if one had waivers from the station. Since I can't get any signal at all for abc & cbs maybe they'd grant waivers. She said she would apply for them and I hear in about 30 days. She seemed to agree that the sat company offering LiLs in an area didn't really have a bearing on qualifing for DNS - it still depended on the signal. You just can't have both DNS & LiLs.

We can conclude from the 3rd category (not yet, but I thought I would or think that I will) that either E* hasn't yet sent out all the letters (which would surprise me, you would think that at least a month would be given to consumers to indicate their preferences ... after all, some people take vacations) or that many of us have some misunderstanding of who will be forced to choose and who won't be.

I'm hoping for the 2nd!

Roadrhino

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts