Distants - Emergency Retailer Chat

Bob Haller said:
E may reach saettlement with Nets, aftyer all much net programming is being disribuited in many ways today.

Ideally the solution FOR A PRICE would enabvle anyone to get a special feed perhaps delayed a few hours or a day late like PBS went too.

Just a matter of $$$$$:(

And how much the local gets..........

Not a bad idea.

Its more than paying the local what they would not get if the customer would subscribe to their channel. They lose that viewing audience which costs them ad revenue as well. So that would make the cost even more as a result.

Question:

Why cant Dish just add all DMAs in the whole countrys. Then they would not need distant networks at all. For those DMAs missing 1 or 2 channels Charlie should just agree to paying the same retrans rate that Direct TV pays.

They are adding more HD so I know they have bandwidth. They also have bandwidth on the old Super Dish Sats.

After all, receiving your Locals for your DMA market (or the same locals that cable has) and no other Locals is the law. If you want more, you have to change the law.

Last edited:
Why cant Dish just add all DMAs in the whole countrys. Then they would not need distant networks at all. For those DMAs missing 1 or 2 channels Charlie should just agree to paying the same retrans rate that Direct TV pays.
most of the DMA's left (I say at least 2/3) don't have all 4 nets. Some of these areas might have to do with spotbeams (spotbeam may work in the neighboring DMA but not the one with the missing affiliates). But alot are just goofy.

Example...Mankato MN...3 counties, one channel in the DMA (CBS). On cable the rest of the nets are from Minneapolis (which DIsh obviously has up). DirecTV gave them
CBS Mankato, NBC ABC FOX from Mpls and PBS Nat'l. So how hard is it for DIsh to get KEYC (CBS) to agree? They're chomping at the bit to be on satellite.

I propose that if its on the Local Cable, then Dish can carry it, even if its outside the DMA. All they need is a retrans agreement and if they cant agree then the FCC should step in and make them allow it using the average retrans price for the nearest DMA.

An other Example, North Platte Nebraska (one of the smallest DMAs).
========================
The only station in the DMA is NBC, but cable pulls from the near by DMA through the use of over the air translator stations. Cable has ALL locals.
All Dish would need to do is uplink one channel to have the exact same carrage as cable. If the local NBC would not agree to a retrans then Dish and Direct could force the issue by using the average price for retrans rates from the near by DMA.
The other channels are already carried by dish in the near by DMA so dish would have it easy.

The North Platte DMA would not need the National Locals under this plan as they would have the same locals as cable.

I propose the Retrans agreement would be automatic if Dish or Direct TV carrys the near by Station, and if not, and they cant agree on price, then you go with the nearest DMA rate price for retrans.

Im sure there are other DMA examples where this could work, if you follow a cable must carry type of guideline.

With this plan of Average Rates and near by DMA, we would have 100% of the USA covered with all 4 networks. The new CW and MyTV would also be covered under the Super Station package that is allowed already.

Im working with my congressman now on some more ideas along this line. He is listening, even called me. In th emiddle of Nebraska it is hard to get good TV unless you have Direct or Dish.

Last edited:
Example, North Platte Nebraska.

The only station in the DMA is NBC, but cable pulls from the near by DMA through the use of over the air translator stations.
I know exactly what you're talking about. DBS is different since alot of these markets they don't have up they have the neighboring up (my Mankato example). Dish has room for 1 channel and could finish up MN with no issues (right now Mankato does qualify for NBC & Fox legally)

neljtorres said:
:D I dont know what are you looking at because I have been a dish customer in Puerto Rico since 2000.
And the local channels the show all the shows that the networks offer.

WPRU ABC
WVXF CBS
WVGN NBC
WSJP CW
WSJX FOX

There are no mutations you are problable watching other stuff.
I have the New York and Los Angeles Networks too and have a 721 receiver that has PIP and the channel from here show what the New York feed has!

You might be right, I don't actually watch those channels much because the quality (compared to the NY, LA feeds) suck. I'm sure that I've seen 'Lost' (ABC) and 'Veronica Mars' (UPN) on the same channel though, I think it was channel 30. Maybe things changed since I watched the last time.

I've been a suscriber since 97, had the 5000, Dishplayer (which died), and the 721, using the 522 now. I would still have the 721 but one of the tuners died, loved that receiver :-( . Upgraded the HD twice before it died (I posted a HOWTO here). I still have it, it's not easy for me to throw electronics away, heh, I still have my Commodore Amiga...:)

Yes it is...

I will be dialing in to it in just a few minutes. :)

Chat room will also be open, note its a new chat software so it may take a moment to load. :)

Scott Greczkowski said:
BTW the main site is still not up yet but the following URL is active

http://www.savemychannels.com/atstake/
Yea, and isn't that next-to-the-last paragraph nice?
"In 2004, consumers sent emails to their Senators and Representatives, and Congress granted the satellite TV industry the right to offer consumers ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX in high definition when the signal was not available from their local broadcaster. "

Ok, it's been 2 years. Where are those HD Nets?

Mr. Lieberman at Dish's DC Bureau of Government Relations was so available during that e-mail-congress blitz, then when it was over he couldn't be reached.

How can they expect to drum up support again when they never followed through on the the last request nor gave an explanation why.