SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 14, 2009
Ayer, Ma
Antenna - Antennas Direct 91XG

PRE Amp - none

Distribution Amp - Channel Master CM 3418

TV Fool - TV Fool

With antenna connected directly to any of 4 HD flat screens I am receiving all the channels that I should except WBPX (ION) and a couple that I don't think I should (WUTF and WUNI). TV's don't have signal meters that read percentages but as the auto scan is running the signals are filling 75-90% of the little square box's.The problem I need to solve is connecting the antenna to all 4 tvs at once.
This is what happens: Antenna to CM 3418, tv's connected to CM 3418, unused outputs on CM3418 terminated. I loose all but 4 channels.
I then bypassed the CM 3418 and used a basic 1 in 4 out splitter that I had laying around, this was a little better was able to tune in 10 channels but still not satisfactory. Note I am consistently tuning in a total of 19 channels and sub channels.
I have a VIP 722 and I HAVE not tried hooking the antenna to it yet, mostly because it would be a pain to access the back of the 722 and I don't need the extra tuner for recording.

I did some searching in the forum but after reading a whole bunch of postings it just made my head hurt. I got a bit lost over the discussion about splitters and combiners, same with preamps, line amps and attenuators. Don't get me wrong I do have a clue (I have TV 2 from the 722 running to multiple TVs with 0 issues) but I have come to the conclusion, very quickly, that sending digital antenna signals around the house is not quite as simple as buying a cheap splitter at Wally World.

What do I need to do to be able to send signal from the antenna to the 4 tvs in the house?

Thanks

Ross

Usually an amplified distributor will do it.
Amazon.com: TV antenna amplifier

This one looks good.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000F3NOPK/?tag=satell01-20

The quick answer is attach the amplifier to the incoming cable from the antenna, and attach the four TV's to the amplifier. A variation, you can still use the splitter, connect from the splitter to the closest TV(s) where the length of the cable is not long. Then attach the amplifier input, to the output of the splitter, and attach the remaining TV's to the amplifier outputs. This would be if the amplifier has less outputs than needed.
If you can't get an amplifier with four outputs, and all TV's need to be amplified, it's very likely putting a splitter on one of the outputs of the amplifier, to make more than one output will still have enough power to give a good signal. Really depends on the length of the run of cable to the particular TV.

You're not looking at the ones that amplify the signal from the antenna to your house or any mast mounted ones, different purpose.

Last edited:
Antenna to CM 3418, tv's connected to CM 3418, unused outputs on CM3418 terminated. I loose all but 4 channels.

I'm thinking that you've got a damaged amplifier or the power supply is not outputting the correct voltage. The other thing try each TV one at a time to see if one has a problem and is loading down the amp.

Antenna - Antennas Direct 91XG

PRE Amp - none

Distribution Amp - Channel Master CM 3418

TV Fool - TV Fool

With antenna connected directly to any of 4 HD flat screens I am receiving all the channels that I should except WBPX (ION) and a couple that I don't think I should (WUTF and WUNI). TV's don't have signal meters that read percentages but as the auto scan is running the signals are filling 75-90% of the little square box's.The problem I need to solve is connecting the antenna to all 4 tvs at once.
This is what happens: Antenna to CM 3418, tv's connected to CM 3418, unused outputs on CM3418 terminated. I loose all but 4 channels.
I then bypassed the CM 3418 and used a basic 1 in 4 out splitter that I had laying around, this was a little better was able to tune in 10 channels but still not satisfactory. Note I am consistently tuning in a total of 19 channels and sub channels.
I have a VIP 722 and I HAVE not tried hooking the antenna to it yet, mostly because it would be a pain to access the back of the 722 and I don't need the extra tuner for recording.

I did some searching in the forum but after reading a whole bunch of postings it just made my head hurt. I got a bit lost over the discussion about splitters and combiners, same with preamps, line amps and attenuators. Don't get me wrong I do have a clue (I have TV 2 from the 722 running to multiple TVs with 0 issues) but I have come to the conclusion, very quickly, that sending digital antenna signals around the house is not quite as simple as buying a cheap splitter at Wally World.

What do I need to do to be able to send signal from the antenna to the 4 tvs in the house?

Thanks

Ross
Let's see if I understand your problems.
Your 91XG is a very long range UHF only antenna being used about 25 miles from Boston broadcasters.
If you connect the antenna to only 1 TV you receive 19 channels.
If you add the 3418 8 way distribution amp with 4dB gain you lose all but 4 channels (which ones are those?), possibly overdriving the tuners.
Now using a 4 way splitter with 7dB of loss you drop to 10 channels. What are those channels?

I suspect multiple problems from Ayer to Boston you might have multiple signal paths which could cause signal interference. Your antenna could be too much for your distance from broadcast towers, bigger is not always better.

I agree with Sergei & suspect the 3418 is not working correctly. I would try connecting just one set to the antenna with no splits & see if you can get the missing ION channel. If not try fine tuning the aim/height of the antenna as you should easily be getting that channel.

There is certainly nothing wrong with the antenna choice. I have installed 3 of them as close as 4 miles to Wash DC & no overload issues whatsoever. Never used the 3418, but assume it is just as resistant to overload as the 4 output 3414.

First thanks for all the replies. I will answer what I can from memory and the rest when I can "experiment".

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROID RAZR Maxx using SatelliteGuys

Tampa8 said:
Usually an amplified distributor will do it.
Amazon.com: TV antenna amplifier

This one looks good.
http://www.amazon.com/Electroline-EDA-2800-Booster-Amplifier-Warranty/dp/B000F3NOPK/ref=cm_cr_dp_asin_lnk

The quick answer is attach the amplifier to the incoming cable from the antenna, and attach the four TV's to the amplifier. A variation, you can still use the splitter, connect from the splitter to the closest TV(s) where the length of the cable is not long. Then attach the amplifier input, to the output of the splitter, and attach the remaining TV's to the amplifier outputs. This would be if the amplifier has less outputs than needed.
If you can't get an amplifier with four outputs, and all TV's need to be amplified, it's very likely putting a splitter on one of the outputs of the amplifier, to make more than one output will still have enough power to give a good signal. Really depends on the length of the run of cable to the particular TV.

You're not looking at the ones that amplify the signal from the antenna to your house or any mast mounted ones, different purpose.

Thanks
The CM 3418 is an amplified distributor. Each output is labled +4db. I will keep your other suggestions in mind when I " experiment".

Ross

sergei said:
I'm thinking that you've got a damaged amplifier or the power supply is not outputting the correct voltage. The other thing try each TV one at a time to see if one has a problem and is loading down the amp.

Ok I will.check yhe voltage output of the power supply. The first tv I hooked up through the distribution amp was the farthest away. It only tuned 5.1, 7.1, 27.1, 27.2, 61.1 and 61.2. Bypass the amp and it tuned in normally.

Ross

sergei said:

The input voltage as written on the amp is 12-16 vdc 250 ma.The power supply that came with the amp is putting out 22 volts dc. The rated output is 15 vdc 300 ma. I have another ps that goes to a motorola amp I used when we had cable it is rated at 12 v dc 200 ma I might try that just to see...

Ross