Distribution system

NSBFLA

Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
New Smyrna Beach Fl
New Guy here so first Thanks for any help.

I have 2 Dish VIP722 receivers, 2 DVD players and an external local channel antenna that I would like to send via coax to the 5 TVs in the house. I already have the coax ran from the TVs back to the area of the centrally located equipment. I believe I can assign one DVD to channel 3 and the other to channel 4 (both unused locally). I also think I can assign each 722 to a UHF channel that is not used locally. I am not sure how to connect the output of each piece to the TVs so that I can switch between the equipment by selecting the appropriate channel. I have tried to read about diplexers, triplexers, multiswitches,splitters, combiners and other things but still lost.

Any guidance very appreciated.

The 722's have NTSC modulators built in so you can use them to create your channels for distribution. You cannot use channel 3 and 4 they are adjacent channels and will cause interference for each other. With any NTSC channel you should skip at least one channel for distribution. You also need to stay away from any ATSC OTA broadcast channels. Because a channel is 8-1 that dosen't mean it is really being broadcast on channel 8 it could be on UHF channel 14 really.

NTSC channels can not carry a HDTV channel so your 5 TVs should be SD not HDTVs. The fact you have 722 receivers suggests you may be dissappointed in your picture quality with a distribution system.

The modulated RF signals are not much worse than the composite plus audio and a lot easier to distribute with splitters. I combine 2 722s, a DVD recorder, DVD sound system (both nearly unused), antenna using a reversed splitter. I then amplify and split to all including ATSC to the 722s and TVs.
-Ken

Ken am I understanding you correctly that I can use a reversed splitter and connect the coax outputs of all this equipment without hurting anything?

Thanks for the help.
Charlie

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)