DIY Eastern Arc Questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

CowboyDren

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 18, 2005
I've seen posts about people having success getting acceptable signal splitting 61.5W and 72.7W with a D500, and using a wing dish to pick up 77W. I have a pile of dishes, a few LNBs, and some free time on my hands, so I want to try. I'm also handy with metal, so I can extend the focal length of the D500 LNB arm if I need to. I just have a couple of questions:

1) Aside from doing a "Check Switch," do I have to tell somebody, like a CSR, that I want Eastern Arc service? I have a 722 with a purple card, and the birds are all in the "Point Dish" list.

2) ALL of my locals, SD and HD, are on 61.5. Looking at "The List!" and it's table on 77W, there's nothing on it to which I subscribe or see myself subscribing in the future. Do I technically need it to work, or will the receiver freak out?

A 1000.4 dish would mean 75' of RG6 to my 722, vs. 150' of RG6 to my current D500 and ANOTHER 175' from the D500 to a 129W wing dish. Adding a wing to a D500 only adds 6' and one insertion point, so I should break even on signal levels. :)

You dont have to tell dish you are switching to EA, just do a check switch. Are you using a DPP44 switch or tying the wing to the dish 500 LBN in port? If you are using the port I am pretty sure that 175 feet will not work to the 500 LBN. I don't what the max distance for a wing is but I know they say no more than 200 feet from the dish to the receiver. If I am reading it correctly you say it will be a total of 325 feet from the wing dish to the receiver?

You dont have to tell dish you are switching to EA, just do a check switch. Are you using a DPP44 switch or tying the wing to the dish 500 LBN in port?
No multiswitch, just the LNB IN port.

If I am reading it correctly you say it will be a total of 325 feet from the wing dish to the receiver?
Don't ask me why it works, but it does, and it has for over a year. People usually laugh at me when I tell them. I get mid-60s on 110, low-50s on 119, and mid 50s on 129, I think.

Not having a clue about the skew setting, I had to settle for trading my 129 for a 61.5 wing dish. I eliminated 75' between the Plus and the wing dish in the process (there was actually over 200' to start with) . My signal strength was indeed breakeven. I REALLY need to get an answer to number 2 in the first post. Do I have to plug in a 77 wing to get this done? Once I get the skew number, I really want to push forward.

If there is nothing on 77 that you need/want then you don't need to add it. The receiver doesn't care what you are looking at as far as Eastern vs Western Arc.

According to the 1000.4 installation manual, the skew should be set at 65°. Since I'm not using a 1000.4, and 72 rides lower in the sky, I think that 67° is probably closer to what I need. This would all be a lot easier if I just spent $100 on a proper EA dish, but I'm beyond broke.

I have no idea how much more length I'll need on the LNB arm, but I'll worry about that later, when I get rid of the 125'+125' of RG6 still strung across my back yard, replacing it with 75' wrapped around my house instead. :)

Last edited:
Kansas City, MO, 64133. Just about dead middle between New York City and Los Angeles.

[ame=http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=New+York,+NY&daddr=los+angeles,+ca&hl=en&geocode=&mra=ls&dirflg=w&sll=39.97712,-98.173828&sspn=47.503566,79.101563&ie=UTF8&ll=37.439974,-96.152344&spn=49.022223,79.101563&t=h&z=4]Walking directions from: New York, NY to: los angeles, ca - Google Maps[/ame]

:D

gotcha. skewed is the same here in springfield mo. was going to offer you a hand, but that's a bit far from here

Got the skew set at 65, peaked the best I could on 61.5 (by myself), and moved the DP twin to the other side of the Y adapter. That sumnagun worked! When my buddy gets off work, he'll bring the compression fitting tool over, and we'll REALLY get this dialed in!

It's Working! Low 50s on the strong tp's, but it's totally functional.

Attachments

• 850A0136.JPG
    850A0136.JPG
    225.3 KB · Views: 89
  • 850A0138.JPG
    850A0138.JPG
    248 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)