DIY Move - Help

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

cpotter638

Original poster
Feb 24, 2007
I'm a current DISH customer in SE Missouri. We are physically moving to SW Missouri. We are going to have to transfer our service to the new residence. We are doing a true move, not a "fake move" that I have just read about on this site. Our service address and billing address will be at the new residence in SW Missouri.

We are currently under contract for 1 more year. The residents of the home that we are moving into also use DISH. As such, they currenlty have DISH equipment installed at our new home. I have no desire to pay a DISH installer to come out to our new home, nor do I want to get a new DISH contract.

I'm assuming that we can just take our receiver with us to the new address and plug into the existing hardware? I can then just call DISH to tell them of our new address? I assume that they will then change our service address, billing address, and locals to SW Missouri? And I assume all of this would be at no charge to me?

Thanks for the help in advance. Chad

IT shouldn't matter as long as you have the right dish already to go. It would be like you moved the dish your self. All you have to do is tell Dish that your new address will be ----- and you have already installed the dish yourself or that there is already a dish there and you are ready to go. They will change your service address and billing to the new address and give them your new phone number and you will be all set. No commitments or contracts needed.

IT shouldn't matter as long as you have the right dish already to go. It would be like you moved the dish your self. All you have to do is tell Dish that your new address will be ----- and you have already installed the dish yourself or that there is already a dish there and you are ready to go. They will change your service address and billing to the new address and give them your new phone number and you will be all set. No commitments or contracts needed.

Do you know if you have the right match between the dish & equipment? If not, you need to get:

-The types of receivers you will be using
-The types of dishes on the new house, and where they are pointed. It might be handy to know about your current dish setup too. You can do this by looking at th "check switch" screen on a reciever (assuming all the receivers use th same dishes, which is by far the most common setup)
-What kind of switches the new house has, if any, as well as the wiring setup. If you can look at the check switch screen on a receiver that's already in this house, this would make it easier.

You can get help from this site in figuring this out, if you need it.

as the OP said he is still under contract I would assume it is a newer reciever and should work with whatever lnb/ switch configuration is at the new home.

Information

Here is the info that I obtained:

Dish on outside of home: Dish 500
LNB on outside of home:
Digital LNBF: AK72-BTE

Receiver:
Dish DVR 625

Results of Check Switch:
Sat Input 1 & 2 are identical
Port: 1,2,3
Sat: 119,110,x
Trans: OK, OK, x
Device: Twin, Twin, NC

Switch: DPP Twin

Check Switch Details:
LNB Status: Direct Connect to DPP-Twin
Port 1: DPP-Twin 119 Even, Odd
Port 2: DPP-Twin 110 Even, Odd
Port 3: External LNB: NC

Satellite Input 1 and 2 are the same.

I am unable to obtain information regarding the current set-up at the home that we are moving to. The new home is in a different town (4 hrs away - same state). I will not be able to see the setup there until we move in.

Question 2:
The 2nd remote for our receiver often has difficulty in operating the sytem, even with fresh batteries. I assume this is due to the distance from the receiver? We are in a house of approx 3000 sq feet and moving to a home with sq. footage of 4500. I assume this will only make the problem worse? How can I fix this in the new home?

Please let me know if I need to provide any additional information. Thanks again for the help. Chad

Just moved in

We finally moved into our new home. The home has a DISH antenna mounted on the roof. The previous owners preferred DirectTV. As such DirectTV is currently hooked up, not DISH. I assume that the DISH antenna was hooked up at some time previously and that it is correctly directed.

I am able to view the DISH antenna only from the ground due to the steep roof. It has a label that states "DISH 500". As far as I can tell, there is 1 LNB. There is also a horizontal rectangular shaped object on the roof. With binoculars, I can read a label on this device which states "Winegard".

I went up into our attic. From the hardware mounted on the roof, there are 5 RG-6 cables that are dropped into the attic. None of these cables are labeled. 4 of the 5 are bundled. As such there are 2 bundles of 2 and an additional single cable.

The DirectTV satellite also has 5 RG-6 cables which feed into a Zinwell Wide Band 6 x 8 Multi-Sw. This device has 6 inputs (18V, 13V, 18V, 13V, Flex Port 1, and Flex Port 2). All but Flex Port 2 are connected. 3 of the 8 outputs are connected. I assume that this device is not compatible with DISH. I only mention it in case it is helpful in my installation.

When I unhooked our DISH DVR 625 receiver at our old house, I left all cables hooked up (hopefully to ease my new installation). The connections on be back of the receiver are as follows:

The Satellite 1 and Satellite 2 ports on the back of the receiver are fed into a DISH network DP Plus separator 123254. The input port of this separator is connected to the "sat" port of a CableTronix CTDPX-10 diplexer. The U/V ant port of the diplexer is connected to the Ch 21-69 out port of TV 2 on the back of the receiver. The "in/out" port of the diplexer was connected to the wall jack in our previous home.

We will be connecting the DVR dual tuner receiver to 2 TVs in our new home. My question is how to connect the hardware which now includes:

1.) DVR 625 receiver
2.) DISH 500 satellite with 5 RG-6 cables dropped into the attic (not labeled)
3.) DISH separator
4.) Diplexer
5.) Zinwell device (that I assume we will not use)
6.) 2 wall jacks

Sorry for the long post, but I'm a newbie and wanted to make sure you got a full list of our equipment. Thanks in advance for all the help. Please let me know if you need any more information.

Chad

We finally moved into our new home. The home has a DISH antenna mounted on the roof. The previous owners preferred DirectTV. As such DirectTV is currently hooked up, not DISH. I assume that the DISH antenna was hooked up at some time previously and that it is correctly directed.

I am able to view the DISH antenna only from the ground due to the steep roof. It has a label that states "DISH 500". As far as I can tell, there is 1 LNB. There is also a horizontal rectangular shaped object on the roof. With binoculars, I can read a label on this device which states "Winegard".

I went up into our attic. From the hardware mounted on the roof, there are 5 RG-6 cables that are dropped into the attic. None of these cables are labeled. 4 of the 5 are bundled. As such there are 2 bundles of 2 and an additional single cable.

The DirectTV satellite also has 5 RG-6 cables which feed into a Zinwell Wide Band 6 x 8 Multi-Sw. This device has 6 inputs (18V, 13V, 18V, 13V, Flex Port 1, and Flex Port 2). All but Flex Port 2 are connected. 3 of the 8 outputs are connected. I assume that this device is not compatible with DISH. I only mention it in case it is helpful in my installation.

When I unhooked our DISH DVR 625 receiver at our old house, I left all cables hooked up (hopefully to ease my new installation). The connections on be back of the receiver are as follows:

The Satellite 1 and Satellite 2 ports on the back of the receiver are fed into a DISH network DP Plus separator 123254. The input port of this separator is connected to the "sat" port of a CableTronix CTDPX-10 diplexer. The U/V ant port of the diplexer is connected to the Ch 21-69 out port of TV 2 on the back of the receiver. The "in/out" port of the diplexer was connected to the wall jack in our previous home.

We will be connecting the DVR dual tuner receiver to 2 TVs in our new home. My question is how to connect the hardware which now includes:

1.) DVR 625 receiver
2.) DISH 500 satellite with 5 RG-6 cables dropped into the attic (not labeled)
3.) DISH separator
4.) Diplexer
5.) Zinwell device (that I assume we will not use)
6.) 2 wall jacks

Sorry for the long post, but I'm a newbie and wanted to make sure you got a full list of our equipment. Thanks in advance for all the help. Please let me know if you need any more information.

Chad
Call 1-800-333-3474 if you are under DHA18 lease you have DHPP which entitles you to a free Dish Mover have them install the new equipment you need.

DISH Mover

I thought about using DISH mover. However, if I used the "free" DISH mover, I would have to sign a new 18 month commitment. That is something I do not want to do at this time. I would like to try and install the hardware myself. If it is beyond my skill level, I will pay the $100 to have professional installation. This will not require the additional 18 month commitment. Thanks. Chad

first thing you need to figure out is what type of lnb is on the Dish. If you are looking at the dish there will be a logo on the outside of the lnb. It will either have the old Dish Network logo (usually all gray) on it will have DP (in black) or DishProPlus (also in black). That will tell us wether or not the seperator will work or not, and how many lines you will need to the receiver.
Second question. To the room that you are wanting the 625 placed in... how many wires are running to this room?
If only one, then i'm guessing you are going to be replacing the LNB with a DPP lnb. If not, you will have to run a second line to that room.
Then you need to figure out which wires at the dish correspond with the wires in the attic.
If you could answer those questions, then we can go about describing how everything needs to be connected.

Requested info

DISH lnb:
The DISH antenna is up high on the roof. I will not be able to access it. So changing the lnb is out of the question. If that has to be done, I will have a professional do it. But, I am able to see the outside of the lnb from the ground with binoculars. The lnb itself is grey in color. On the outside of the lnb there is a rectangular area that is either white or silver in color. Within this rectangular area I can see the DISH logo (same as the logo on the satellite dish). This logo on the lnb is black in color. There is nothing that states "DP" or DishProPlus.

Wires:
There is only 1 wire running to the room at this point. However, the room is right next to a storage room. It will not be a problem to run an additional wire to this room. Again, changing the lnb is not an option.

In the last post there was a statement:
"Then you need to figure out which wires at the dish correspond with the wires in the attic."
I'm not sure what was meant by this. The DISH satellite is up too high to see exactly where the 5 wires are connected on the satellite / lnb. There are 5 wires that are dropped into the attic from the satellite / lnb, (1 group of 2 wires, another group of 2 wires, and an additional single wire - all RG-6). I am assuming that it will just take trial and error to figure out which wires to use?

Thanks again for the help. Chad

ok, if you are going to leave the legacy lnb on the dish, then you will need to run a second line from where the lines from the dish are, to where the reciever is going to be located.
then, what i would do is connect those two lines to the reciever. Then connect two of the lines that MAY be from the dish, to the lines going to the reciever. Then run check switch on the receiver and see if you get anything. If not, go try 2 different lines in the attic.
O, also pray that whoever had the system before, had at least 2 receivers and that there are 2 lines connected up on the dish.

then once you have signal to both sides of the receiver, let us know, and we'll go over diplexing and backfeeding the TV2 side back out

Attempt to connect

The last post confused me. Basically, what I was able to do was extend the 5 RG-6 cables from the attic to the location of the receiver. As far as I can tell on the receiver, there are only two satellite inputs. They are labeled "Satellite In 1" and "Satellite In 2".

To start, I took one cable at a time, attached it to Satellite In 1, and ran check switch. Out of the 5 cables, 2 gave a result of "119 - OK, 110 - OK", "reception verified", and "quad". These 2 wires give a normal picture on the TV.

For the next step, I kept one of the 2 cables that worked attached to "Satellite In 1". I then attached the other 4 cables to "satellite in 2" one by one and ran check switch. In each of these cases, when I ran check switch I got the following result: Satellite 1 Input remained connected with the results the same as above. Satellite 2 Input gave a result of "1, x, x", reception verified, and "none. I could not get satellite input 2 to connect.

So basically I have 2 cables that run from the roof / satellite area that give me a picture on the TV. If I take either of these cables and attach it to either Satellite input 1 or 2, I get a normal check switch result on either Satellite input 1 or 2. If I connect both of these cables to the receiver at the same time (connected to both Satellite 1 and 2 inputs), check switch seems to then work for input 1, but not input 2. At no time can I get check switch to work for both satellite input 1 and 2.

I'm not sure where to go from here. Again, thanks in advance for the help. Chad

Any suggestions to my problem of not being able to get both Satellite Input 1 and 2 to work? Thanks for the help. Chad

Any suggestions to my problem of not being able to get both Satellite Input 1 and 2 to work? Thanks for the help. Chad

If you have a wife like I do...save yourself a LOT of headache and just have it installed professionally. Once they come out and install it professionally..you have a 90 day warranty on "their work". Trust me...I KNOW just how GOOD that warranty is where the wife is concerned. You can even hold the installers beer for him/her and say "thanks for the hard work you do for going up on that high roofline".

Just my 2 cents.

I did a free Dish mover in august and DID NOT increase my committment (currently Month to month).

Try a different CSR or an email to the ceo address

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts