Status
Please reply by conversation.

Greg Mueller

Munich Oktoberfest
Original poster
Mar 3, 2006
Datil, NM
Just in time for the up coming change over

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQhlmJTMzw]YouTube - Coat Hanger HDTV Antenna![/ame]

I built one of those about 6 months ago. It worked pretty good. I ended up adding an amplifier and preamp to it and am currently using it still. It works fantastic. Just make sure where the wires crisscross on the piece of wood to insulate the two from touching.

Depending on where your signal comes from it takes a bit of playing with to get the aiming correct, but compared to an $80 or higher store bought antenna I really have to say that the one I built works dang good.

The only problem with that antenna will be if any of your local stations go back to their current VHF transmitters you will not be able to pick them up :(

I guess we will have to wait until the switch on Feb 17 or Jun 12 to see what happens when some of the stations go back to the VHF band.
(7, 9, 11, 13 will be used in Los Angeles)

This look like a good idea... I wonder how the reception is if you live 50 miles from the transmitter? I bet it won't work so good, but should be great if you live close by the stations.

This look like a good idea... I wonder how the reception is if you live 50 miles from the transmitter? I bet it won't work so good, but should be great if you live close by the stations.

Gary, we are at least 40 miles from the trans. towers here, and the one I built worked great, used it for a month or 2, until we got our CM 4228.

I had it about 30' in the air so I'm sure that helped.

I am about 45 miles away from the transmitters and with two mountains in the way and a homemade 4-Bay antenna I can pickup most of the station except for three channels that I can pick up with a Channel Master 8-Bay antenna with occasional breakups.

I built one, and used it confirm what all the long time residents told me: there ain't no signal where I live. If I ever move, I'll think twice about being tucked in next to a big hill. I envy all you flatlanders. I wonder if a realtor could tell me if a certain piece of real estate can get Hispasat?

I, too, have built one for the upstairs TV. Put it in the back attic and it picks up the signals from 45-50 miles away as good or better than the antenna on the roof.

I built one, and used it confirm what all the long time residents told me: there ain't no signal where I live. If I ever move, I'll think twice about being tucked in next to a big hill. I envy all you flatlanders. I wonder if a realtor could tell me if a certain piece of real estate can get Hispasat?

OTA is iffy--- 43* to 148* (plus on both ends) clear LOS.

Attachments

• DSCN0935.JPG
    DSCN0935.JPG
    420.5 KB · Views: 193
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts