DIY SIMULSAT Dish for Home....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

norman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 22, 2005
Has anybody ever made or tryed to make a SIMULSAT Dish for home? I have got the itch big time to see if it is do'able. So if you have any help please PM me. I thought I saw many years ago in a mag where a person made one using plywood then painted it with some type of paint the worked to relfect the signal to the mulit
c-ban lnb's.
Norman

From http://www.atci.net/C_P_Simulsat.htm:

Simulsat is the world’s only true multibeam antenna that receives up to 35 satellite signals simultaneously. Simulsat has and continues to deliver programming to millions of cable TV viewers worldwide. Taking the space of about 3 parking spaces, Simulsat pays for itself in space, savings and insurance for future channels and programming changes. Available in 3 size and performance variations: Simulsat 5, Simulsat C/Ku and Simulsat 7, Simulsat is the only antenna you need.

I think the convenience of being able to see 35 satellites at the same time doesn't quite justify the expense and sheer space of the antenna. It's a neat idea for maybe a cable TV head end but you figure 35 LNBs x2 (don't limit your polarity after going to all this trouble!). 70 15° Norsats at $100/ea (good deal for the bulk purchase - lol) is $7,000. Maybe you'll want Ku too... make that $14,000.

ouch.

It'd be cheaper to put a complete 4dtv system (dish positioner, etc) for each receiver I'd think.

It would be a fun project but without the custom feeds I don't think it'll be real practical as a DIY project.

Shawn

Last edited:
I think that most HOA's would extrude small furry mammals out a major bodily orifice if they saw that monster going up in someone's front yard.

Tested one from Japan one time with 4 LNB's mounted on the Feed horn...Worked well. We pulled in clean cxr's with about 3-5 Db delta difference when compaired the the same antenna holding 1 LNB.......It is do-able..

Shawn95GT said:
Simulsat is the world’s only true multibeam antenna that receives up to 35 satellite signals simultaneously. Simulsat has and continues to deliver programming to millions of cable TV viewers worldwide. Taking the space of about 3 parking spaces, Simulsat pays for itself in space, savings and insurance for future channels and programming changes. Available in 3 size and performance variations: Simulsat 5, Simulsat C/Ku and Simulsat 7, Simulsat is the only antenna you need.
I think the convenience of being able to see 35 satellites at the same time doesn't quite justify the expense and sheer space of the antenna. It's a neat idea for maybe a cable TV head end but you figure 35 LNBs x2 (don't limit your polarity after going to all this trouble!). 70 15° Norsats at $100/ea (good deal for the bulk purchase - lol) is $7,000. Maybe you'll want Ku too... make that $14,000.
ouch.
It'd be cheaper to put a complete 4dtv system (dish positioner, etc) for each receiver I'd think.
It would be a fun project but without the custom feeds I don't think it'll be real practical as a DIY project.
Shawn

The Taurus(sp?) is the way to go....Of course in a Commercial environment....

Now that is a serious Dish!

Shawn95GT said:
ouch.
Shawn

I love it! Now where to find one!!! Would look great in my yard!!
NO HOA here!!! I am sure it would raise my neighbor's curiosity though. Even though the Winegard perforated Alum dish is semi semi- transparent (after a long while!) this baby will really grab some attention!!! I still want one!
jeff

Simulsats came in 3meter 5meter and 7meter varieties. We had a 5 meter variety. It continued to pull in a signal with no issues during a Hurricane and and severe tropical storms.

They lost popularity with the move to Ku Distribution as the signals were not a precise as C Band and there were issues.

They have made improvements in recent years and claim to have overcome those issues.

However, lots of luck on a home brewed version as you would also run into those same issues.

Come on folks. Let's be on the positive side. I live out in rual america and just want to see if it could be done. The CATV system in the next town will not allow me to take measurements of thier simulsat. Yea I know that they are VERY LARGE. Come on folks. I'm not an idiot. I may not be able to spell worth beans but I'm not an idiot.

gizzer777, If I find a way to make one I will contact you.

I have seen a website where a person made a c-band dish using plywood and a lot of screws.
Making a simulsat dish were it would not be up on a pole, come folks. What can you do if you put your mind to it.

Well, if why don't you try and make 4DTV receivers compatible with Megapipe or break 5c Encryption if you really want to do something useful and probably as successful as what you are talking about.

Krapola, Can you give me any info on that dish and how the lnb's were mounted?

HDTVFanAtic, Thank you for you words of wisdom. You thoughts are so helpful. Keep up the good work of encouraging people.

norman said:
Krapola, Can you give me any info on that dish and how the lnb's were mounted?

HDTVFanAtic, Thank you for you words of wisdom. You thoughts are so helpful. Keep up the good work of encouraging people.

All from memory.....The antenna is eliptical(less then 1m) with a prime focus feed. On the front of the feed was a proto type LNB mount that extended about 1 foot side to side...Basicall a "slider bar" is what it looked like. The people testing had 4 LNB's mounted at first, with a range wider than 20degrees. We compared C/N ratios with just 1 LNB mounted and peaked per designated bird and noticed not much more delta difference that 3-5db...All signals were acceptable when the array was completed...Again this feed mount was a proto type from Japan at the time...If my memory serves me right, the company was Jonsa, but I could be wrong...This was 4-5 years ago...

diy dish

Well - if I had your e-mail add. I might be able to help. I think your looking for a spherical with parabolic ribs. Make a spherical main backbone and put parabolic ribs set for 5ft. focal length. A 10ft spherical dish has a 5ft. focal point. Combine the two types and you have an elongated dish you can mount several lnb's on for C band, KU band,& KA band also. Just going to take some time to make.
I don't know when this was posted, I just found it. There is a dish like this at our local cable head-in. Yep it's doable................................................
STC (South Texas Connection)

You might check out Mike Kohl's site at http://global-cm.net/ , he has several ideas on multiple sat reception plus he did have a pic of a huge "dish" (more like reflector) that was made with wood, metal fabric, and screws.

Hello folks. I am back. Sorry for being gone so long. I am still on the kick of making a SIMULSAT Dish. Any help??

Here's a couple..

Napa Teleport1.jpgNapa Teleport8.jpg

Here is the dish they use at the DISH Network uplink center.

A majority of the satellite signals they receive for use on DISH Network are received by this dish.

I find the LNB's really interesting, I would love to know what they are...

Attachments

• P1000386.JPG
    P1000386.JPG
    264.1 KB · Views: 1,884
  • P1000382.JPG
    P1000382.JPG
    210.7 KB · Views: 1,113
ATCi's small one is like 5 x 8 meters. Got the room? Have you experience making a simple parabolic? Might be advantageous. The Simulsat's are basically a spherical, horizontally, with a focal distance slightly longer than the focal length of the vertical parabolic shape. Whip out the calculator, sharpen the pencil, and start cutting ribs. Let us know "how it goes" with a pictorial step by step. Might be good for "bragging rights" but an actuator on a polar mounted BUD, or multiple BUD's will do the job for a lot less cost, and certainly, little chance of failure. 3 or 4 LNBF's on a 10ft BUD is easily "do-able". Fund saving tip: If you do it, maybe a Ku only model. Maybe ~2 meters high by ~3-4 meters wide.

Looks like an ATCi Taurus design....ATCi does not advert this Receive Antennae any longer that I can see at this time...If you are genuinely interested, I can inquire...

Thanks

Here is the dish they use at the DISH Network uplink center.

A majority of the satellite signals they receive for use on DISH Network are received by this dish.

I find the LNB's really interesting, I would love to know what they are...

Reminds me of a much larger version of a Dish Network Ku dish that has two lnbs and is designed to get both the 110 satellite and the 119 satellite.

Anyway, there is a way to create a parabola with a string, a pencil and a right angle. I imagine that this method could be used to get the up and down shape of the dish. I think you would need to find a string with no stretch in it for this project. Assuming you were satisfied with a parabola you drew on say plywood, you could cut that curve out of the plywood and, holding it straight with a straight 2 x 2 you would at least have the "up and down" shape of the monster. You might be able to use that as a template in some part of the construction project.

As far as the left to right shape is concerned, I don't know of any string/square methods of creating that shape, since it wouldn't be trying to focus on a spot, but instead a line. The answer might be obvious if you had it laid out on a flat surface. As a thought, once you decided on the length and curvature of your lnb array, the focal point part of the string/square/pencil method would have to travel down the lnb line at the same proportional rate as the dish. Maybe you could make points say dividing the lnb line into 24 and making points on your right/left template. That right/left template would be huge though. I'm guessing 24 feet.

The photos give no indication what kind of lnbs are in that line where a scalar would ordinarily be.

It sounds like a major expense and a half year project. It's why people are saying that a big round dish can be had probably for free, and the rest of everything is off the shelf stuff. Investment maybe 2 months and five hundred. Your Simulsat? I'm guessing seven thousand or more.

The Simulsat would look cool though, and you could always tell your neighbors you are working with SETI in the search for extraterrestrial intelligence.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts