DIY Upgrade to HD equipment check

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bxl4

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 17, 2005
Bainbridge Island, WA
For WAF reasons, it looks like I'll be doing my own upgrade to enable our HDTV to get the new local signals. I'd like a check on my equipment transition path.

Existing Equipment:
Dish 500 Legacy Twin looking at 110 + 119, grounded
510 receiver (to remain)
DVHS/5000 receiver (to be replaced)
RG-6 coax throughout.

Proposed Equipment:
Replacement Dishpro Plus Twin LNBF on existing dish and arm (or do i need a whole new dish 500 assembly?)
Add new DP34 switch (will be adding 2nd dish for 129 in future)
Add new coax run for new room #3, additional single receiver (future) into dp34
Connect ProPlus Separator in room #1 with NEW 622 (won't be using TV2 feature)
Reconnect coax from separator (room #1) into dp34
Reconnect 510 receiver (room #2) coax into dp34

Check the signal strength on the 510, tweak the aim on the antenna as required and call to have the 622 activated.

What did I miss?

Thanks for your help.

dpp separator does not work with Dp34 switch. In fact, you dont need the Dp34.
If you plan on just sticking with the 510 and 622, the DPP Twin is fine. It has an input on it for a third satellite location.

ok, i just read it again and you say additional single receiver in the future... at that point you will need to get a DPP44 switch, or run an additional line from switch to 622 to use DP34 switch

Dp44

Thanks Jared. I'll have to read more about the switches to understand the bit about dp44 vs dp 34 but I was thinking that it might just be easier to cross that bridge for future room #3 when I'm ready to go there.

The technology does tend to get cheaper with time so I'd guess that I'll take your advice and skip the adding a switch for now. Especially since the dp44 would be the priciest part of the whole retrofit.

So the new LNBF should fit in the old arm OK?

A Dpp twin will fit but I would just install a Dish 1000.2 and then you wont need the switch at all. You will have 129 and you can add another wing dish plus be able to run 3 receivers, all with single cable runs. No additional stuff to buy for the 3rd receiver.

You would have to add a wingdish to the DPP twin also if you wanted any HD programming on the 622. You need the 129 or 61.5. Seems silly to get a 622 if you arent going to get HD programming.

i agree with ^^^^

if you plan on adding 129 right way, may as well do it right now with the 1000.2
that will give you 3 outputs for up to 3 receivers, including support for the separator for dual tuner receivers, and an additional input in case you ever want to add a forth satellite location

129, that's the problem

I started down the road of putting in a 1000.2 dish but up here in the Pacific Northwest, we just can't get enough reliable signal strength out of 129 to make it watchable.

The standard arrangement for up here is a separate 30" or at least 24" dish dedicated to 129.

When they put up a replacement bird at 129, then the 1000.x dish would make sense.

I really just want to record and watch my HD locals for now. A 622 looking at 110 and 119 will give me that.

Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts