dlby true hd with xbox 360?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

moviemax

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
I have the hddvd player add on for the xbox360. It is hooked up to an onkyo
txsr805 which is the first receiver to offer the new sounds of hddvd and blu ray. One of those offered is dolby true hd. I tried both the departed and poseidon and my receiver didnt say dolby true hd on the display. is there an update that hasent come out yet that i need for this to work?

You wont get DOLBY true HD. Xbox 360 cant carry it. You can get as high as DTS.
There as an update about 1 month ago.....or more. The setup options (when you have a HDDVD playing) on the xbox 360 have changed...allowing you to set DTS as the audio coming out.

Isn't it because the 360 doesn't have HDMI 1.3? I only bring it up because I'd hate for someone to think it's a feature that could be enabled via a future flash update.

No it has nothing to do with the lack of the HDMI 1.3. Most of the HD DVD players out there right now do not support HDMI 1.3 and they can decode Dolby True HD. Micorsoft has said it could do an firmware upgrade to get the Dolby True HD option in the future. If this is not the case you will have some pissed off customers. I can care less because I have an stand alone player, but there are tens of thousand of people who purchased the 360 add on so MS better deliver.

No HD DVD or blu-ray player can currently send either TrueHD or DTS HD-MA to any receiver for decoding. It's called Marketing hype.

Having said that, I just received my Onkyo 605 yesterday. I wanted a new receiver with HDMI audio for my PS3 and to replace all those analog cables on my XA1. The old receiver lasted me for over 6 year and I wanted its replacement to last at least as long, and I felt the new Onkyo receivers with HDMI 1.3 and TrueHD & HD-MA decoding were more "future proof".

For a receiver to do the audio codec decoding, a player has to send the audio to it as bitstream. Currently, no player can do this. But, hopefully firmware upgrades will enable it.

No HD DVD or blu-ray player can currently send either TrueHD or DTS HD-MA to any receiver for decoding. It's called Marketing hype.

For a receiver to do the audio codec decoding, a player has to send the audio to it as bitstream. Currently, no player can do this. But, hopefully firmware upgrades will enable it.

Passing bitstream is an optional portion of the HDMI spec. HDMI is not firmware upgradable. Probably SOL until a manufacturer adopts that as part of their manufacturing standard. Then there is the advanced authoring on the disk which also must allow bitstream to be passed to the receiver. HDDVD advanced authoring mandates that it be decoded by the player. BD is supposed to have their finalized advanced authoring also by the end of the year. Whether or not it is written onto the disk to allow choice is unknown.

S~

Just to clarify: The fact that HD DVD players cannot send Dolby TrueHD (encoded) signal out over HDMI is not so important, as they do have built-in Dolby TrueHD decoders that convert Dolby TrueHD to multi-channel (uncompressed) PCM and send that over HDMI. Any version of HDMI can support multi-channel PCM, so if you have a receiver that can extract multi-channel PCM out of HDMI (whether it's HDMI 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, or whatever), you can enjoy Dolby TrueHD in its full glory! The same applies to Dolby Digital Plus.

Ilya has hit the nail on the head. I would recommend if you want DTHD and DTS-HD eventually stick with the stand alone player. Unless you want to sit around and wait on Microsoft for the 360 add on or Sony for the PS3.

Was it ever confirmed that the HD-DVD add-on for the Xbox could handle this? My SR606 just arrived and I'm wondering if I need anything else to enjoy true HD audio or not.

THanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)