DLNA Video format

I use the built in Windows 7 media server and TVersity (the older free version) both work well with the hopper. I try to use MKV for video and it plays on both servers very well.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Yup that is what I use and it works GREAT!

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Just installed it and it's awesome. It was really EASY. The Hopper automatically saw it and linked and it's really easy to use. I've now got different music streaming wirelessly to different rooms simultaneously.

I've not tried video, any suggestions on what format you should rip DVDs in?

I have been using MP4 which has been working good, except on RIPs where the audio is DTS only then I get no audio. But thats a problem with my Ripper not the Hopper.

I have been using MP4 which has been working good, except on RIPs where the audio is DTS only then I get no audio. But thats a problem with my Ripper not the Hopper.

Is it a problem with the ripper, or that the hopper doesn't have any DTS decoding on board? Don't blame the ripping tool, if the playback device can't handle a common audio standard.

This is one thing I don't like about DLNA, it does a good job of blocking you from your content. I go for the full blown streaming devices (like Dune / Popcorn Hour) and stream via NFS or CIFS. Works great, less filling.

Does anybody know if you rip a blu ray disc can you play it via DLNA to the Hopper?

Scott will tell you yes you can based on his post. you'll have to ask him what parameters are working for him.

I rip using make MKV with my mac, with the original video and a subset of the audio files. I don't transcode or decrease bit rates.

the only thing I have found that hopper will play is DVD's ripped to MKV format. I haven't dealt into the why of it I just know it doesn't like vc-1 or H .264 inside the container.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

I installed TVMOBILI on my MAC trying to set it up how Scott G has it.
I could not get anything to play on the Hopper, it just starts with a progress bar on the botton flashing by but nothing is ever shown.
I used MP4
I am guessing I have the wrong Handbrake settings for making the file. They play on my Sony Google TV.
The file format extension is M4V the Format is MP4 The Video Codec is MPEG-4 (FFMpeg) Framerate is Same as source.
I also tried an AVI file, no luck.
What do I have set wrong?

I've found mp4 to be the best streaming format on the hopper as far as not needing to transcode.

ScottChez said:
I installed TVMOBILI on my MAC trying to set it up how Scott G has it.
I could not get anything to play on the Hopper, it just starts with a progress bar on the botton flashing by but nothing is ever shown.
I used MP4
I am guessing I have the wrong Handbrake settings for making the file. They play on my Sony Google TV.
The file format extension is M4V the Format is MP4 The Video Codec is MPEG-4 (FFMpeg) Framerate is Same as source.
I also tried an AVI file, no luck.
What do I have set wrong?

Find the IP address of you hopper then go into tvmobili settings and ins your hopper by its IP address now change the profile to directv (not hopper) and now you can can watch mp4s.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

So here is what you do...

Go on your Hopper and hit the YELLOW Button on your remote.
Click on Network Setup.
Click on Broadband
Now look for your IP Address on your screen and make note of it.

Now go to your computer and make sure you are running the latest DEVELOPMENT VERSION

For Windows the current DEVELOPMENT VERSION is found at http://www.tvmobili.com/binaries/rc/tvmobili-windows-i386.exe
For Mac the current DEVELOPMENT VERSION is found at http://www.tvmobili.com/binaries/rc/tvmobili-snowleopard-universal.dmg

If your not running the DEVELOPMENT VERSION then download it and install it!

Now once installed go into you STATUS screen... scroll down and you will see all the DLNA devices on your network. You will notice that the Hopper / Joey's do not identify themselves like other devices do... this is why you need to know the IP address of your Hopper & Joeys....

So go down the list until you find the Hopper and then once you find it select the CLASS pull down on the right and select 'directv-client' DO NOT SELECT 'dish-hopper-joey-client'!!!!!!

Now assuming your have TVMOBILI setup so that MY FOLDERS goes to where your video files are located you should not be able to go to your Hopper and select Home Media then your TVMOBILI server, now you should be able to watch all your MP4, MKV and most AVI files (depending on the codec they were encoded in of course)

Enjoy!

Attachments

• tvmobili_hopper_settings.png
    tvmobili_hopper_settings.png
    154.5 KB · Views: 268
So here is what you do...

Go on your Hopper and hit the YELLOW Button on your remote.
Click on Network Setup.
Click on Broadband
Now look for your IP Address on your screen and make note of it.

Now go to your computer and make sure you are running the latest DEVELOPMENT VERSION

For Windows the current DEVELOPMENT VERSION is found at http://www.tvmobili.com/binaries/rc/tvmobili-windows-i386.exe
For Mac the current DEVELOPMENT VERSION is found at http://www.tvmobili.com/binaries/rc/tvmobili-snowleopard-universal.dmg

If your not running the DEVELOPMENT VERSION then download it and install it!

Now once installed go into you STATUS screen... scroll down and you will see all the DLNA devices on your network. You will notice that the Hopper / Joey's do not identify themselves like other devices do... this is why you need to know the IP address of your Hopper & Joeys....

So go down the list until you find the Hopper and then once you find it select the CLASS pull down on the right and select 'directv-client' DO NOT SELECT 'dish-hopper-joey-client'!!!!!!

Now assuming your have TVMOBILI setup so that MY FOLDERS goes to where your video files are located you should not be able to go to your Hopper and select Home Media then your TVMOBILI server, now you should be able to watch all your MP4, MKV and most AVI files (depending on the codec they were encoded in of course)

Enjoy!
My Hopper has a wired connection to the Internet. Using TVMOBILI I can stream videos from my Mac just fine to the Hopper. But not the Joey. In fact the Joey thinks it is not connected to the Internet. I thought that if a Hopper was connected then any Joey attached to it was also connected. Is that not so? Is there some set up step I am missing? Or does a Joey need its own independent connection for DLNA to work?

Last edited:

monthly fees for 2 hoppers and 2 joeys

Dish Network PPV price Movies

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts