DMA issues

Status
Please reply by conversation.

davemich

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 8, 2006
SW Lower Michigan
A friend of mine that lives in Michigan just had D* installed after having Dish for years. He was happy except for one huge thing...the locals he received were not what he thought he was going to get. Come to find out via a call to customer service, the county he lives in is a stones throw from the adjacent county that would get the locals he wants. Is there anything he can do or is he gonna have to settle? Both of us are avid Detroit Lions fans...thats right, things are looking up again like the last umpteen years ha ha...and the locals he gets now are Indiana locals and therefore the Fox affiliate there shows the Bears. I told him to move to the next county which is about a half mile away! Just want to know if there is a way for him to be upfront with D* and get this changed. Thanks in advance.

I think DirecTV's hand are tied their legally.

I believe the only way to remedy it would be to "move", but I'd wait for some of the more experienced members to chime in.

Sincerely, good luck!

A friend of mine that lives in Michigan just had D* installed after having Dish for years. He was happy except for one huge thing...the locals he received were not what he thought he was going to get. Come to find out via a call to customer service, the county he lives in is a stones throw from the adjacent county that would get the locals he wants. Is there anything he can do or is he gonna have to settle? Both of us are avid Detroit Lions fans...thats right, things are looking up again like the last umpteen years ha ha...and the locals he gets now are Indiana locals and therefore the Fox affiliate there shows the Bears. I told him to move to the next county which is about a half mile away! Just want to know if there is a way for him to be upfront with D* and get this changed. Thanks in advance.

Can't speak for Directv....they are required to sell locals according to FCC guidelines. Some of the situation is controlled by their equipment capabilities (spotbeams).

But it has happened that friends have exchanged receivers for DIY test purposes and noticed different locals on the receivers. Connecting phones to these boxes can confuse the tests.

You are not alone. There are also some locals that are not carried anywhere but everyone wants these. People in these situations look at DISH, FIOS and OTA for alternatives. For sports events there are sport bars & neighbors' houses.

Sometimes bringing beer for the game ends up being cheapest & easiest.

Joe

Joe Diamond said:
Can't speak for Directv....they are required to sell locals according to FCC guidelines. Some of the situation is controlled by their equipment capabilities (spotbeams).

But it has happened that friends have exchanged receivers for DIY test purposes and noticed different locals on the receivers. Connecting phones to these boxes can confuse the tests.

You are not alone. There are also some locals that are not carried anywhere but everyone wants these. People in these situations look at DISH, FIOS and OTA for alternatives. For sports events there are sport bars & neighbors' houses.

Sometimes bringing beer for the game ends up being cheapest & easiest.

Joe

Looking to FiOS for locals in already underserved areas? Surely you jest. FiOS is the king of cherry picking. They have no plans to serve the majority of the country.

He has to be in the South Bend, IN DMA, Berrien or Cass County in SW Michigan.This would get him WSJV Fox28 from Elkhart IN.

I'm a little curious what Fox he had with Dish previously, it should have been the same one.

My parents had a similar issue with living a mile from a different DMA, they moved.

Looking to FiOS for locals in already underserved areas? Surely you jest. FiOS is the king of cherry picking. They have no plans to serve the majority of the country.

You are correct,

What I have seen is a good reliability and adequate speed for internet service. The TV programming is what it is and may be acceptable to some so I mentioned it.

As to the cherry picking....yup! Apparently they have built whatever FIOS system is going to be built for awhile. Sales wonks are now expected to get more addresses connected. Rural areas and old build city areas will not be contacted. This is the "last mile" problem. New construction has a joint trench opportunity where utilities can be run before paving. After construction is finished the "last mile" to each residence is expensive.

If you can't get service from CATV, DTV, DISH, FIOS or OTA today you either move or enjoy the silence.

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts