DMS SG6100

Status
Please reply by conversation.

chadg2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2006
Maiden Rock, WI
Did the DMS SG6100 ever make a great HH dish mover? Read about it when it first came out, but now it's hard to find anyone who's selling one or has them in stock. Thanks.

They were ok but had their glitches. I had a few returns on them. No one is currently importing any.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I've been wondering the same thing. Lots of good hype at the start then down to nothing. I've heard about the occasional issue but that goes for anything out there. Since I've never had one or sold them I can't speak to reliability or how well they work.

I grabbed the very last stash of the good old SG6000 probably 2 years ago from MrTim @ DMSI. Kept a few stashed for if I ever kill the ones I use. If you are looking for a tough good motor and you can find one, get a 6000. The one on the dish right now was out in a farm field, high winds all the time, even tornado force once. It isn't worn one bit and is dead accurate. The one I have for bench testing was out in those conditions previously and took a near lightning spike. It went all the way east didn't move no matter what I did so I swapped it. A few months later I brought it back inside, hooked it up and back to normal. And no, you can't have any of my 6000 stash. :D

seems like we are loosing availability on great dish movers, first I can't get me a spare G-Box to save my soul and now the SG-6000's are hard to find. I sure hope a couple of years down the road there is more stuff left to buy just than just ok stuff.

Get you a STAB if you can't find a 6000.

Posted via Kindle Fire HD

Thanks, any recommendations for zero backlash and it has to do USUALS?

Zero backlash in a gear system means the gears are meshed so tight they will not move. There is no such thing as a zero backlash system, you have to allow a little bit of free play. USALS is a function of the STB, not the motor. If the motor supports DiSEqC 1.2 it will work with a USALS receiver.

seems like we are loosing availability on great dish movers, first I can't get me a spare G-Box to save my soul and now the SG-6000's are hard to find. I sure hope a couple of years down the road there is more stuff left to buy just than just ok stuff.

It is hobby FTA stuff in general and it will probably get worse. This is the end results of a few idiots on fleabay combined with certain people that wanted to bring in low cost junk and fight for the bottom barrel price in a tiny specialized market. One of these idiots is now defunct but the damage is more than done. With the exception of Brian and select Titanium products no one really wants to bring in large quantity or variety for the hobby guys. Not enough market in USA and not enough margin to justify it.

I'll be looking at a really nice small dish motor and a VBOX type controller while in EU with Amiko. You'll probably never see them in North America. Quality costs money, many now have the fleabay mentality where a motor should be $40 with free shipping. Those that would pay what a good motor is worth are a tiny fraction of a tiny market. Shipping wise these are too heavy/costly (I think) to get a few cases of. If I got a pallet or two it might balance but they'd sit forever waiting for the few that want good equipment and will pay for it. Not enough margin to warehouse that dollar amount of inventory for a long time. This is why Amiko Americas/FridgeFTA's main focus is on STB's. There is a stronger market here for those to make it worth doing.

As a hobbyest myself I'm really frustrated with the business realities of the limited market for our hobby here. It doesn't translate into anything good for anyone. :(

So true Joe. I see people complain about junk and want quality, but when someone brings in quality those same people complain the price is too high.

Posted via Kindle Fire HD

I have been asking about the 6100 on a monthly basic. The margin is so small I've been told someday maybe :) so I'm not sure. Out of about 200 units sold returns were low about 10. So I would say its safe to say 3- 5% defect rate.

For the money great motor.

I didn't like the SG6000, at least the first run of them.
I tried 3 of them when they first came out years ago and they all didn't do USALS well at all with the Traxis 3500 or the Prof 3500 I had at the time.
They would end up being about 3-5 degrees off at the far ends of the arc, if I remember right.
And they all had at least a couple of degrees of play that couldn't be adjusted without the motor seizing. One had over 5 degrees of play.
One of the 3 arrived with the coax connector hanging out.
I tried to work with them over the issues but that went nowhere.

I went with a DG-380 and it has been great. I haven't had to realign it in years.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)