DN and OTA w/ Splitter's and Diplexers

rbday

Original poster
Jul 28, 2007
Wow am I confused ...

Dish Network on peak of roof ... Dish 1000+, 2-VIP 211 with standard and HD one in living room and the other in the bedroom with one coax from outside to each.

A storm blew the dish out of alignment and when the technician came out to fix it it had been raining, so instead of going up to the top he mounted another dish (dish 1000.2) at the eve where the ladder hit the roof. Now I wouldn't have gone up on the slippery roof either so it didnt bother me. BTW ... I bought an OTA antenna so I could watch TV for the week it took Dish to fix it.

Im still having problems with rain fade and lost signal so now i want to fix it myself.

Here's what i need to know. First, since the switches are now intergrated with the LNB assemblies can I change the LNB's and use both dishes for different alignments ... one pointed at 129 and the other at 110 and 119, and if so what kind of LNB's do they need to be? I know if this will work then I will have to add some type of switch. I am hoping that there is a multiswitch out there that will combine a OTA antenna so I will just have to put the diplexers at the recievers. Is there a switch out there for Dish Network and ...

Will This Work??

If not ... can i just align the second dish better ... use a combiner/diplexer or just use a OTA splitter to both diplexers on each coax for both recievers with the antenna end diplexer passive? I was told that diplexers will not work with dish network.

I am at my wits end.

RBDAY

You can diplex the OTA into the Dish Sat signal, but it must be done AFTER the switch (which is a moot point on the 1000.2). You will have to diplex it into each cable off the 1000.2. I personally do not recommend diplexing because it reduces signal strength for both OTA and Satellite.

You may need to detune 110 and 119 in favor aof 129 in the D1000.2. Check your signal strength on 129 TP 27 (one of the weaker TPs). I found with my D1000 that after I peaked 119, that I f I lowered the elevation just a bit, it helped 129.

The 1000.2 has a port for an additional satellite input on it. you could point your old dish at either 129 or 61.5 and connect it into the input on the 1000.2. I'd use the 129 lnb off the 1000+. I am not aware of whether you could remove the other 2 lnb's from the 1000+ and put the 129 in the middle or not.

BTY, why did you have a 1000+? And if it was needed, what are you missing now that you have the 1000.2?

The first and second dish was placed by Dish Network. I don't know why they placed them except that they did not want to retreive the first one because it was so slippery.

If I use the second dish for 129, and connect it to the 1000.2 "other dish" connection will it over ride the original 129 LNB from the 1000.2? Or is there any way to disconnect the 129 LNB on the 1000.2? Or does it really matter?

Looks like I'm getting close to the correct fix. I really want to make sure I know what I need to do before I get up there ... its real high!

Thanks so much for the help

RBDAY

Not to mention lightning strikes.

If lightning strikes you're toast anyway. Proper ground helps reduce porbability of lightning strikes by draining static charge build up.

As for 129 you must disconnect 129 on the first dish so you can use 129 on the second. That means you will need a DPP44 switch and will bypass the DPP34 in the 1000.2. Not a cheap proposition. Suggest you try to peak the 1000.2 to 129 before you make major alterations.

Jim ... one more thing,

I read in one of the earlier posts that you can duct tape aluminum foil around the eye of the LNB and that would act just like disconnecting the LNB itself. If I was to do this and use the second dish for 129, would this work, or has someone succsessfully pulled my chain ... hard!

RBDAY

It kills signal from that lnb, but the switch still sees the lnb, might cause a problem. Try it.

The system does not know which satellite an lnb is pointed toward until the satellite reports.

It will probably show up on a check switch as a bad lnb, but it just might work. Pull the cap off the lnb (if it comes off easily) and put a piece of foil inside.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts