DNS qualifying is back on the Dish Site

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
If its old news, don't shoot me :)

Just was checking the Dish site, and I noticed DNS qualifying is back (woo hoo!)

Sadly, the rules are pretty simple…locals available, no DNS (even if it use to qualify)

There is a white area in the Duluth, MN DMA (Silver Bay, Beaver Bay, Tofte) but now they just qualify for Duluth locals.

However, an area that has no locals yet on Dish DOES qualify for partial DNS (after SHVERA DNS wasn’t posted) (this area qualified for the below BEFORE SHVERA

MANKATO, MN 56001-

Thu Mar 03 09:31:36 MST 2005

LOCAL NETWORK PACKAGE

Unfortunately, this address is not eligible for any of the Local Network Packages.

This address is not eligible to receive Local Networks for one of the following reasons:

Does not technically qualify - This address does not fall in a DISH Network Local Broadcast Network coverage area. (The satellite signal does not reach your address with your local channels.)
Does not Legally qualify - This address is not in a local Designated Market Area (DMA). (Local Broadcast Networks by satellite are only available to customers who reside in the specified local DMA.)
The address was entered incorrectly.

DISTANT NETWORK A LA CARTE

Congratulations! This address may be eligible for part of the Distant Network A La Cartes. You may choose a maximum total of 2 (two) A La Carte networks (ie. no more than two NBC, two ABC, two CBS, two FOX). You must be eligible to receive National PBS.

NBC FOX PBS

A LA CARTE STATIONS:

New York, NY NBC - WNBC

New York, NY FOX - WNYW

Atlanta, GA NBC - WXIA

Atlanta, GA FOX - WAGA

Chicago, IL NBC - WMAQ

Chicago, IL FOX - WFLD

Los Angeles, CA NBC - KNBC

Los Angeles, CA FOX - KTTV

NATIONAL PBS

I want HD DNS. Get off yer arse and get 'em up!!! I need (well, actually would like) access to FOX HD. We don't even have an errant DTV signal for FOX over Lincoln and most of Omaha.

long_time_DNC said:
They took my FOX DNS away from me 2 months ago...because they couldn't come to a "reasonable pricing agreement".

Is that anything like "no compelling content"? Sheesh...
Huh? Fox DNS is still up and running for me from NY, LA, and DEN.

What are you really talking about?

long_time_DNC said:
They took my FOX DNS away from me 2 months ago...because they couldn't come to a "reasonable pricing agreement".

Is that anything like "no compelling content"? Sheesh...

whatyoutalkinboutwillis?

I still have my Fox Denver, Fox LA, and Fox Duluth (and Fox Mpls...but ssshhhh..don't say anything) :)

Iceberg said:
<snip>....Just was checking the Dish site, and I noticed DNS qualifying is back (woo hoo!)

Sadly, the rules are pretty simple…locals available, no DNS (even if it use to qualify)

Dish is MISinterpertating the law in a way similar to "D". According to some responses from the FCC to consumer inquiries, whether analog LILs are available by the DBS provider have no bearing on your qualifications for DNS - it's still the '99 SHIVERA law / rules regarding grade "B" signal, etc. That law didn't die, it was extended along with some added wording regarding digital signals.

Per threads on other forums, some people are now haveing success getting digital DNS (which is HD) from "D" even if they're NOT in an O&O area. Some affiliates are in fact granting waivers or providing letters of "no objection" to people for HD only too.

Apparently you CAN actually be denied analog DNS, have LILs and still be elidgable for HD DNS.

is this a white area?

i live in corbin kentucky (zip code 40701), i get the lexington locals (about 70-80) miles away. and yes they show up as locals on my bill. i just checked the dish network site and i am elgibe for distant networks. is this a white area?

I just tried it and the only non-local station you can get is PBS (statewide)

1000 E CUMBERLAND GAP PKWY

CORBIN, KY 40701-

Fri Mar 04 13:19:20 MST 2005

LOCAL NETWORK PACKAGE

Congratulations! This address is eligible for the
Lexington, KY Local Network Package

Click here to see a list of the channels in the package.

STATEWIDE STATIONS

Congratulations! This address is eligible for Statewide Channels.
Station Local Channel Dish Channel

LEXINGTON PBS-WKLE 46 9211

SUPERSTATIONS

Congratulations! This address is eligible for all Superstations.

NEW YORK WPIX
DENVER KWGN
LOS ANGELES KTLA

NEW YORK WWOR
BOSTON WSBK

mathius8 said:
i live in corbin kentucky (zip code 40701), i get the lexington locals (about 70-80) miles away. and yes they show up as locals on my bill. i just checked the dish network site and i am elgibe for distant networks. is this a white area?

I plugged in an apartment complex in Cobin, Ky and it says that Lexington are your locals and your are eligible for national PBS only. I think the way they word it is a little misleading.

same as what I get...Lexington locals, KY PBS and qualify for Nat'l PBS, which you wouldn't qualify for.
(Nat'l PBS is if your locals are available and there is a PBS, then you don't qualify)

338 COBBLESTONE WAY

CORBIN, KY 40701-

Fri Mar 04 14:02:20 MST 2005

LOCAL NETWORK PACKAGE

STATEWIDE STATIONS

Congratulations! This address may be eligible for part of the Distant Network A La Cartes. You may choose a maximum total of 2 (two) A La Carte networks (ie. no more than two NBC, two ABC, two CBS, two FOX). You must be eligible to receive National PBS.

PBS

A LA CARTE STATIONS:

NATIONAL PBS
TIME ZONE:

Iceberg said:
same as what I get...Lexington locals, KY PBS and qualify for Nat'l PBS, which you wouldn't qualify for.
(Nat'l PBS is if your locals are available and there is a PBS, then you don't qualify)

338 COBBLESTONE WAY

CORBIN, KY 40701-

Fri Mar 04 14:02:20 MST 2005

LOCAL NETWORK PACKAGE

STATEWIDE STATIONS

PBS

A LA CARTE STATIONS:

NATIONAL PBS
TIME ZONE:

distant a la carte is towards the end of the page, it says i do qualify

mathius8 said:
distant a la carte is towards the end of the page, it says i do qualify

That's why I said it is misleading. It looks like you qualify for all the national feeds, but it really only lists PBS. If you could actually get NBC, CBS, ABC, and FOX it would list them with PBS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts