dnsc work

tennessee titan

Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Tennessee
I'm new to this site so i'm still trying to figure it all out, I really hope i'm posting this question in the right spot. Here's the question, how busy is the work in other areas? I work in the Nashville area, I work with a sub-contractor thats does work for dns in this area and we have hit rock bottom. We went from 5 jobs a day, 6-7 days a week, to praying for 10 jobs in a week. I was just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this or if its only in my area?!?:confused:

I'm new to this site so i'm still trying to figure it all out, I really hope i'm posting this question in the right spot. Here's the question, how busy is the work in other areas? I work in the Nashville area, I work with a sub-contractor thats does work for dns in this area and we have hit rock bottom. We went from 5 jobs a day, 6-7 days a week, to praying for 10 jobs in a week. I was just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this or if its only in my area?!?:confused:

I reccomend you join THE INSTALLER ZONE forum of this site.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/installer-zone/

DNS is on a MAJOR hiring push right now, opening up new offices and expanding territory.

You're not getting jobs because they are all going to in-house techs.

The good news for you is that if you are considering joining DNS, they are offering a $2000 sign-on bonus (broken into two payments) to experienced installers that can pass a Level 2 Technician test.... which will also start you at 10% more base pay than a Level 1 tech...

DNS is on a MAJOR hiring push right now, opening up new offices and expanding territory.

You're not getting jobs because they are all going to in-house techs.

The good news for you is that if you are considering joining DNS, they are offering a $2000 sign-on bonus (broken into two payments) to experienced installers that can pass a Level 2 Technician test.... which will also start you at 10% more base pay than a Level 1 tech...

The flyer we've been given has 4,000 sign on bonus for people who qualify. I've been training a guy that signed on as an FSS 2 and he was also told 4,000 as a bonus as well......

Not sure which figure is right........:confused:

The flyer we've been given has 4,000 sign on bonus for people who qualify. I've been training a guy that signed on as an FSS 2 and he was also told 4,000 as a bonus as well......

Not sure which figure is right........:confused:

I'm sorry... you are correct. The $2000 goes to an existing employee that refers someone that can qualify as a Level 2.
$2000 is what existing techs get as a bonus for promotion (on top of the % base pay increase)

Yeah, they're hiring alot of in house techs here in the nashville area, I don't see how it could last too long, they have a very high turnover rate. It's kinda hard for someone like me to break down and aplly at the dns office. I don't know what contractors in your area get paid, but we get $80 the first room and $25 for every room after that. Most 4 room installs last about 4hrs for me, thats if everthing goes well. So, that's $155. Subtract $20-$30 for gas and materials. Now, how can that compare to $13-$16 hour at dns, that's $52-$64 for that same install. That's what keeps me where i'm at for the time being, but if things keep in the direction they're going, then I may have no choice. I do believe that as long as there's a dns office, there will be dns contractors in the area as well. I've also heard in the past day or two that att and dish is in a big contract dispute, that may be playing some kinda role in it. However, the guy that told me this is not very trustworthy on stuff like that.

What all does the level test consist of? I can do pretty much anything dish has. I know all the approved equipment and stuff like that. Just wondering.

The Level 2 test is a joke.... anyone that has been (competently) doing Dish installs for at least a year can pass it. It actually has very little to do with installs.... more general knowledge of how the Dish works.... the various satellite bands, radio frequencies, parts of the satellites, Off Air Antennas, etc.