Do all HR44's have ths same caller ID problem?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Waaaay more than that. In fact, of everyone I know where I live in Fl all have a home phone, either traditional or VOIP. In Ct a few younger people living on their own do only have Cell phones, those in dorms also, but the vast majority of our friends have a form of a home phone. If your thinking is 4 out 5 households only have Cell phones, I would say that very underestimated. I bet a high percentage of people with Cable have that Cable's VOIP home phone service and about 2/3 of households have some type of Home phone. Traditional has fallen way off, in fact phone companies are trying to phase them out.

Edit - 3 out five households have a Home phone.
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...ive-u-s-households-have-only-wireless-phones/
I think it is AT&T which is on its way to phasing out its support for landlines. That is non Internet based....And damned likely most telcos are scrapping POTS

Reactions: Tampa8
When I had CentruyLInk for phone service had issues with caller id. For some reason they were interfacing with the DTV receiver. At that time my DTV bill was bundled with CenturyLink. A message would pop up saying if problems to call CL who knew nothing about their software issue. Finally after several attempts got to the right person and that feature was disabled. Now I'm using Straight Talk home unit (Verizon). It displays the call id number fine, but since a cell phone, no name is displayed.
Several years ago I had an issue with caller id not displaying any info. A web search turned up the recommendation to add a second dsl filter which fixed the problem.
Too bad the feature is being discontinued. I like it.
BTW I have a HR22, old, slow, been reliable and produces good quality pictures.
Would you care to post that last message for a FOURTH TIME?

Ahh.."Should" and "Do".....The former is theory. The latter is reality.
Caller ID is bupkis. At least in my area dealing with a lot of older people in rural areas. Once thy saw that phone number light up for the first time on their TV it was like the Fountain of Youth for them...
And if for whatever reason stopped working....HOLY the world is coming to an end, Batman....And of course it was the most unfixable problem with Dish equipment. And these people got MAD....
Most of the time it was a telco issue. But try to convince these people there was not a problem with the Dish equipment? No freaking way....
It got to the point where if they asked me on the initial install about the caller ID, I would just lie to them and say it wasn't compatible with the local telco....
Never got busted for that...WHEW!!!!
Wow, all they had to do is look at thier actual PHONE that has it built into it ..... most anyways ... and you can still get the add on if ya look for them ....
I know, it's a nice convenience to have.
I like mine to work on my TV too !

I think it is AT&T which is on its way to phasing out its support for landlines. That is non Internet based....And damned likely most telcos are scrapping POTS
Soooooooo...... how do you suppose those same subs are getting thier Internet and VOIP dial tone ?
Yes, those same lines you said ATT is doing away with.
Not happening. They will continue to have uVerse in uVerse areas and landlines as well.
Many older people would be lost without them.

At&t pulled out of Ct because Ct would not let them end Landline/POTS service at least as quickly as they wanted. They sold their Uverse Business there and their telephone service which covers close to the whole State and keeping their Cell Service. Michigan is letting their Telcos end traditional Landline service.
For this discussion it should be noted VOIP service can work with receivers for caller id, mine does with DISH.

http://michiganradio.org/post/bill-...andlines-clears-michigan-legislature#stream/0

http://www.cnet.com/news/at-t-unloads-connecticut-wireline-biz-for-2b/

Can't read more than 1st line without subscribing.
Anyways, my point is they want you to go to Voip, essentially .... however, at this point the only way to get you VOIP service is thru those same lines you've been using.
Unless there's WiFi in the VRAD boxes that would connect everyone, that was mentioned way back when vrads started, but no one was able to confirm.it.

Currently, other than Cell Internet service there is no other way to get your Internet to you without those lines your wanting to get rid of.

Not saying they may not have options down the road, but we're not being told about them yet if there is.

Now is it eventually all gonna be cell tower based ? I don't know.
They would have to drastically change data plans.

Also, what do people do that don't have Internet ?

Yes, there are people out there that don't have it for one reason or another.

Also, just talked with a sub yesterday that is going back to POTS service as VOIP doesn't support service for those with ankle bracelets and I think I heard something about Collect calls as well.

Would you care to post that last message for a FOURTH TIME?
Don't know what happened but by the time I noticed the multiple posts it was beyond the window of time that I could delete. Forum moderator(s) feel free to delete redundant postings. No electrons will be harmed

Soooooooo...... how do you suppose those same subs are getting thier Internet and VOIP dial tone ?
Not happening. They will continue to have uVerse in uVerse areas and landlines as well.
I think what he was getting at was ATT was wanting to phase out any landlines that was not being currently used for uverse. I have no idea what their intentions are. Voip dial tone is post gateway. There is really no difference between internet and voip before it gets to the gateway, its all data packets. You wouldn't be able to hook up a test set at the cross box to listen for Voip dial tone. I think a possibility that no one has mentioned yet might be that if att pursues a integrated residential server, where direct tv and uverse is combined, then it is very possible to have caller id show without even having to connect a phone line to the box. The voip dial tone is generated at the residential server / gateway, would have a phone-out to be tied in to existing phone lines and the caller ID would be transmitted over coax to the clients.

Last edited:
ATT is pushing hard to phase out residential and small business pots. Took me nearly 4 hours and at least 6 phone calls just to convert a customer back from voip. They will still keep pots around for a while for emergency services and business using more pots lines than uverse can support. On that note uverse is rolling out a IAD "Integrated Access Device" for business customers which connected to the gateway will allow up to 6 lines of voip and 10 ethernet ports between the two. As for customers who are getting voip I can say roughly 1/3 of my installs have voip on them and about half of those have any intentions of using it. Usually they got it just to get a bundled discounted price.

ATT is pushing hard to phase out residential and small business pots. Took me nearly 4 hours and at least 6 phone calls just to convert a customer back from voip. They will still keep pots around for a while for emergency services and business using more pots lines than uverse can support. On that note uverse is rolling out a IAD "Integrated Access Device" for business customers which connected to the gateway will allow up to 6 lines of voip and 10 ethernet ports between the two. As for customers who are getting voip I can say roughly 1/3 of my installs have voip on them and about half of those have any intentions of using it. Usually they got it just to get a bundled discounted price.
I had one yesterday that did that ..... instead o f just adjusting the bill, they bundled into something they will never use.

Can they do Alarms and that type of thing with voip now ?

They will work with alarms, haven't had any issues so far. Just needs to be wired up the same as Pots would. Voip doesn't work very well with credit card PoS systems though, but usually they have it wired up via ethernet if they got voip

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702304834704579403090132882148
You'll have to create a free account to read the entire article
http://stopthecap.com/2013/07/08/fc...ist-another-5-10-years-att-wants-out-by-2020/
I don't have to 'suppose' anything....
I'm have to wonder what went through your mind as you read my previous post and asked yourself "did dishcomm just make that up?"....
Did you?
I have been a member here a long time. You have responded to my posts. You should know that I don't post without doing a little research first.
Thanks.
POTS will eventually go the way of the telegraph....Into the annals of history

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702304834704579403090132882148
You'll have to create a free account to read the entire article
http://stopthecap.com/2013/07/08/fc...ist-another-5-10-years-att-wants-out-by-2020/
I don't have to 'suppose' anything....
I'm have to wonder what went through your mind as you read my previous post and asked yourself "did dishcomm just make that up?"....
Did you?
I have been a member here a long time. You have responded to my posts. You should know that I don't post without doing a little research first.
Thanks.

POTS will eventually go the way of the telegraph....Into the annals of history

That wasn't my point at all ....

Anyways, my point is they want you to go to Voip, essentially .... however, at this point the only way to get you VOIP service is thru those same lines you've been using.
Unless there's WiFi in the VRAD boxes that would connect everyone, that was mentioned way back when vrads started, but no one was able to confirm.it.

Currently, other than Cell Internet service there is no other way to get your Internet to you without those lines your wanting to get rid of.

Not saying they may not have options down the road, but we're not being told about them yet if there is.

The point is...and this is without any bias or personal views, traditional land line service has nearly run its course.
Oh..BTW, in areas Verizon offers FiOS, the company is removing the copper service drops and replacing those with FOC drops.

"wanting to get rid of?....I neither stated not implied I wanted to 'get rid of' traditional POTS service. I merely discussed its eventual demise.

"wanting to get rid of?....I neither stated not implied I wanted to 'get rid of' traditional POTS service. I merely discussed its eventual demise.
My simple question is if ATT and all other phone companies are getting rid of thier landlines, how do they plan on getting the internet to them ?
They do not have Wireless available (other than cell) to them.

As for ringing fiber drops to houses, I think that would require the entire structure being changed over.
Very costly for the 90 percent it doesn't effect.
I've been putting in copper drops for 25 years now and don't hear that that's changing anytime soon. (Unless your in a new development where fiber is placed.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts