Do any Dish Net. Receivers provide network access?

friskyweasel

Original poster
May 20, 2004
Louisiana
Hi all -
signed up for the forum JUST so I could throw this question out there : ) . Sorry - I usually try to research more first, but I'm a bit surprised on this one so I had to ask - here's the deal:
I recently upgraded my receiver to the 100 hour DVR variety (the 510 I believe) - I have been extremely happy with all the new available options it's afforded me in the couch potato realm - pause live tv, rewind, easy tapeless recording, etc... - EXCEPT for 1 : - ) (knew that was coming huh)
This thing uses a standard IDE hard drive for recording, and obviously runs it's own little operating system (evidenced by the ability to display back to the user the data contained on the drive - shows you've recorded - stuff like that) - yet they didn't think it prudent to include a standard RJ-45 jack (ethernet network connection) on the back???
So if i understand it right, i have up to 100 hours of recording - which is awesome by the way - BUT....once i fill up that drive - if i want to move my shows from the Dish DVR and archive them to DVD say....thereby freeing up all the space on my Dish DVR drive WITHOUT losing what i've already recorded, i only have a couple of options at this time:
1 - pull the drive out (which voids my warranty i'm sure) - place it in my PC and copy all the data over to my computer system - put the drive back in the DVR
2 - use those old, dinosaur (jurassic period, i believe) RCA audio / video outs on the back to manually "play back" and "record" my programming into my computer via video/audio capture cards - (YUCK : ) - so i'd have to sit thru all that programming again i guess...

but if these things had an ethernet port on the back, i could just browse for the DVR across my network, drag all my files over to my PC across the network - and bam i'm done - ready to burn DVDz - i spoke with one of the tech guys at dish, and he said that it records the video in standard MPEG format files - if i'm not mistaken, all you would have to do if you had network access to the DVR is pull those puppies off your drive - bam now you're drive's all free and clean again - and burn DVD content to your heart's delight

ok so now after this extremely long and drawn out post (sorry) - does this bother anyone else and does anyone know what i can do to remedy it? is dish coming out with any network accessible DVR's any time soon?
i'm not 100% sure but i believe Replay TV already offers this functionality, and it seems like someone told me they thought Tivo did as well???
i appreciate any light anyone could throw on this subject 4 me

thnx simon for the warm welcome and for taking the time to reply to my post

i'll definitely check out those sites you referred to me

it's nice to know i'm not losing my mind : - ) - first thing getting the receiver out of the box - i was thinking - ooh the wonders of modern technology - it utilizes a hard drive, therefore i KNOW they naturally gave you an ethernet port to offload all your recorded goodies -

had to look the thing over like 6 times - lol - just couldn't believe it wasn't there...to me it just seemed like the natural thing to do - i mean you record a program on a VCR tape - you can store that tape, or you can bring it over to a friends house to watch, etc... same thing with the new DVD recorders....but i just can't see myself lugging around my frigging dish 510 receiver to somebody's house every time i wanna watch something i recorded : - )
maybe dish network will read these forum posts and do something about it - i have to say if the frigging thing had a network jack i think i'd be 110% happy with it

You might have a fighting chance trying to do that with the old Dishplayer as it was built on a Microsoft platform but I'm not sure.....

Actually, the 921 is/was suppsoed to have IEEE1394 output. Also known as FireWire, but that's a trademark, so E* named it DishWire.

However, after using the feature to entice us to buy the pigs, they dropped it. BASTARDS!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)