Do any of you subscribe to the NFL Ticket?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

grampi

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 3, 2009
Ohio
I've been an NFL Ticket subscriber every year since 2002. This year was the last year I'm getting it because I believe its cost has gotten so high that it exceeds it's value. The first year I got the Ticket it's cost for the season was $159. Now the price is up to $250. A $90 price hike over the last 6 years is just unacceptable in my opinion. And if you want to watch the Ticket games in HD, that's an additional $150 per season. You'd think for $250, getting those games in HD would be included.

Though I'm completely satisfied with DirecTV's service in general, I can't understand why the NFL continues to allow DTV to have the exclusive rights to the Ticket. The benefits of allowing all networks to provide the Ticket would be tremendous to both the NFL and all customers. Just think about how many more people would order the Ticket if it was available through The Dish Network, Comcast, etc. That would not only make the NFL more money, it would also create competition in the market which would bring the price down for customers.

If you consider all the times the games you want to watch are aired on local channels and/or are covered nationally, the cost of the Ticket per game is even higher. I'm intersted to find out if the NFL has realized how much money they're losing by allowing the DTV to have the exclusive rights and if they'll make any changes when DTV's contract expires here in the next year or two. I can't believe they'll continue to shoot themselves in the foot.

As long as DTV is willing to put out the big bucks to keep it exclusive then that is how it going to say. I would really like to see NFLST sub numbers these days. But DTV holds on to NFLST like a golden baby as if they were to loose that to another company well they would loose a chunk of subs.

I ws considering getting NFLST ( since I have not had it since it was on C-Band ) but an extra 150 for HD is just silly.

I've been an NFL Ticket subscriber every year since 2002. This year was the last year I'm getting it because I believe its cost has gotten so high that it exceeds it's value. The first year I got the Ticket it's cost for the season was $159. Now the price is up to $250. A $90 price hike over the last 6 years is just unacceptable in my opinion. And if you want to watch the Ticket games in HD, that's an additional $150 per season. You'd think for $250, getting those games in HD would be included.

Though I'm completely satisfied with DirecTV's service in general, I can't understand why the NFL continues to allow DTV to have the exclusive rights to the Ticket. The benefits of allowing all networks to provide the Ticket would be tremendous to both the NFL and all customers. Just think about how many more people would order the Ticket if it was available through The Dish Network, Comcast, etc. That would not only make the NFL more money, it would also create competition in the market which would bring the price down for customers.

If you consider all the times the games you want to watch are aired on local channels and/or are covered nationally, the cost of the Ticket per game is even higher. I'm intersted to find out if the NFL has realized how much money they're losing by allowing the DTV to have the exclusive rights and if they'll make any changes when DTV's contract expires here in the next year or two. I can't believe they'll continue to shoot themselves in the foot.

Yes I have had the Ticket for many years now.
When I started, the Ticket was only $ 79 and there was NO HD back then.

Everyone is allowed to get into the NFL ST at the time that the ST contract expires.
Originally, when it first started, everyone else thought it was a nitch item and would not go over well.
D* say, YES well give it a try, DISH said NO and the cable co's did as well. Probably didn't like the price for it , not knowing if it would be successful.
The NFL partnered with D* because they were willing to take that chance and the NFL has kept it inclusive because of that.
There is talk every time the contract comes up that they will change the situation, but I haven't seen anything changing as of yet.

As for Competition making the price go down, DON'T COUNT ON IT ...
IF the NFL opened it up to every one, then the small market Cable co. would be upset because they could not afford what the NFL is asking for it and in turn the Cable subs would be the ones to lose out. Mind you the Big Cable guy's would probably pick it up and then they would in turn charge you the $ 200 + for the service to be available on thier system.

Just because more people would have the ability to have it on thier systems doesn't mean it would drop in price, it would be nice, but I don't see it happening.

Jimbo

As long as DTV is willing to put out the big bucks to keep it exclusive then that is how it going to say. I would really like to see NFLST sub numbers these days. But DTV holds on to NFLST like a golden baby as if they were to loose that to another company well they would loose a chunk of subs.

I ws considering getting NFLST ( since I have not had it since it was on C-Band ) but an extra 150 for HD is just silly.

If the NFL would realize how much more money they could make by allowing all the networks to offer the Ticket, it would be a no-brainer to do away DTV's exclusive rights. There's no way DTV could offer the NFL as much money to keep the rights as the NFL would stand to make otherwise.

This was my first season with NFLST and I enjoyed it but I won't be re-upping. I can't speak to the history of the product but D* is shrewd to keep it exclusive. It HAS to be drawing people to D* because they've spent plenty to keep it. $259 is what I paid this year w/HD but it would not surprise me if they freeze the price and include HD. Let's face it, the NFL is not immune to what is going on in this economy. I read that two of the four playoff games this weekend were not sell outs until the last minute (teams buy the tix?) so next season will be even worse. Of course here in Cincy, the bengirls will not sell out but it nothing to do with economics!
NFLST was fun but I'm over it. HTH :cool:

This was my first season with NFLST and I enjoyed it but I won't be re-upping. I can't speak to the history of the product but D* is shrewd to keep it exclusive. It HAS to be drawing people to D* because they've spent plenty to keep it. $259 is what I paid this year w/HD but it would not surprise me if they freeze the price and include HD. Let's face it, the NFL is not immune to what is going on in this economy. I read that two of the four playoff games this weekend were not sell outs until the last minute (teams buy the tix?) so next season will be even worse. Of course here in Cincy, the bengirls will not sell out but it nothing to do with economics!
NFLST was fun but I'm over it. HTH :cool:

If HD was included in the basic price of the Ticket (no additional charge) I would strongly consider keeping it. Otherwise no.

If HD was included in the basic price of the Ticket (no additional charge) I would strongly consider keeping it. Otherwise no.

I've been a D sub for about 10 years - this was also my first season with the ST - and they did add the SF (for the HD) for free. I don't use the SF features (stat tracker and stuff) just wanted HD.

Agree that the HD needs to be part of the package if you have HD service. Unless they throw it in for free again I won't sub to ST next season. I like to watch my favorite team each week - but charging HD service subs an extra fee for HD feeds is just wrong - package is already expensive enough.

Would like to see the HD included - charge the fantasy league crowd the extra $ for SF if they want the stats & stuff - but HD should be included in the ST for HD subs.

I've been a D sub for about 10 years - this was also my first season with the ST - and they did add the SF (for the HD) for free. I don't use the SF features (stat tracker and stuff) just wanted HD.

Agree that the HD needs to be part of the package if you have HD service. Unless they throw it in for free again I won't sub to ST next season. I like to watch my favorite team each week - but charging HD service subs an extra fee for HD feeds is just wrong - package is already expensive enough.

Would like to see the HD included - charge the fantasy league crowd the extra $ for SF if they want the stats & stuff - but HD should be included in the ST for HD subs.

Amen! $250 a year is more than enough money for them to also include showing the games in HD. The greed is getting ridiculous.

I gotta say I loved having it. ST is a less expensive way for me to see all my games vs buying tickets and spending the gas money. It's about a 3 1/2 hour drive to Vikings games for me.

I do say the extra charge for the HD is ridiculous.

How does subbing to ST make one rich? I'll guarentee you plenty of people will spend more on alcohol and smokes than I will on ST.

How does subbing to ST make one rich? I'll guarentee you plenty of people will spend more on alcohol and smokes than I will on ST.

Actually, if you really wanted to watch some games on the really cheap and you have a newer TV, most of them have an input and can be used as computer monitors - short run of cat5e cable from your DSL to a laptop next to the TV - jumper from the laptop to the TV monitor input.

Several web sites out there where you could get feeds.

Pic would probably bet a little sub-SD quality, but what do you want for a few bucks worth of cat5 cable?:D

Over priced; maybe but I don't think so? So go add up ALL the costs for a family of 4 to attend the ONLY ONE GAME EACH week at your local NFL team (ONLY 8 games total in a season); assuming you have one within an hour drive AND it happens to be YOUR TEAM your care to follow! DUH; this is a bargain for what its offering users. IMHO, if you can't afford or don't want it; don't buy it. I would challenge most of you guys that you wasted far more money each season of even dumber and more wasteful stuff; why not cut that out? Hmmmm....

And to those wanting it all open to other outlets; those guys had their shots and failed to make a qualifying move, but I would bet if they ever do get in on it; they WILL find a way to screw it up.

Over priced; maybe but I don't think so? So go add up ALL the costs for a family of 4 to attend the ONLY ONE GAME EACH week at your local NFL team (ONLY 8 games total in a season); assuming you have one within an hour drive AND it happens to be YOUR TEAM your care to follow! DUH; this is a bargain for what its offering users.

i never looked at it that way. good point charper

I have been an NFL Sunday Ticket subscriber since 1996 and thoroughly enjoy the service. It is true prices have risen from the original $79 to $289. In these troubling times, this is a real financial issue for some people. I think most of us getting the ticket are regular people who are diehard football fans and will continue to subscribe.

For me the Ticket is the way to ensure I see my favorite team (Colts) every week of the season. I live in NJ and the local teams are the J-E-T-S and Giants and I couldn't care less about them. l also love the NFL in general and enjoy the option of channel surfing through all the Sunday afternoon games (my primary focus is my Colts games). I know some people say their local team is always on via OTA or cable and thus don't see the value in having the ticket while others have other reasons.

I just want to conclude by saying for this diehard Colts and NFL fan the ticket, although pricey, continues to be "worth it."

In my dma tv time is shared between Vikings, Bears and Packers. I missed a lot of games until have ST this year.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts