Do CNN and The Weather Channel look staticy on your Voom setup?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

seandudley

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
Loudon, Tennessee
Do CNN Headline News and The Weather Channel look staticy on your Voom setup?

Hi,

I just called Voom to ask if they could tell me when they would be getting the problem fixed that causes lots of static on The Weather Channel, CNN Headline News and some other standard definition channels. I was told that I shouldn't be getting the static on these channels, and there must be something wrong at my location. I find this a little hard to beleive since most of the standard def channels come in fine, and all of the HD channels come in great. I thought the static I was seeing was what I have heard others refer to as "sparkles", but I'm not sure. So, I am entering a poll to see if everyone has this problem like I suspect on these channels, or if it really is just a problem on my setup.

Thanks.

Sean Dudley

yeah I see the "sparkles". they are little black dots with tails mostly on high chromatic colors or on sharp contrasts..

I also sent them an email about ABC family being soooo bright and they said they fixed it so...

Maybe to them it looks fine and it's a problem with their uplink or the sat downlink..

seandudley said:
Hi,

I just called Voom to ask if they could tell me when they would be getting the problem fixed that causes lots of static on The Weather Channel, CNN Headline News and some other standard definition channels. I was told that I shouldn't be getting the static on these channels, and there must be something wrong at my location. I find this a little hard to beleive since most of the standard def channels come in fine, and all of the HD channels come in great. I thought the static I was seeing was what I have heard others refer to as "sparkles", but I'm not sure. So, I am entering a poll to see if everyone has this problem like I suspect on these channels, or if it really is just a problem on my setup.

It's best not to get the Voom call center involved in this issue. They'll insist on setting up a service appointment and sending out a tech to monkey with your installation.

This is a problem on the Voom side. It's amazing to me that analog cable looks far better on these channels than on the state-of-the-art Voom system.

I was visiting my parents over Christmas and their cable provider also has a lot of this type of static on CNN. Perhaps CNN and The Weather Channel don't offer a digital feed to the service providers? But then again, these channels are crystal-clear on DirecTV and Dish Network.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your input. This is my thinking as well. Voom insisted in setting up a service call for Thursday, but I'm sure the guy they send out won't be able to do anything about it.

Sean Dudley

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)