Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
Interesting Read...

http://www.tvpredictions.com/hdsurvey092006.htm

Do HDTV Owners Watch More TV?

New survey says so, but adds that consumers are still confused about high-def.
By Phillip Swann

Washington, D.C. (September 20, 2006) -- A new survey of High-Definition TV owners has some good news and bad news for the HD industry.

The good: 97 percent of respondents say they are "satisfied" with their high-def sets. And 59 percent say they are watching more TV as a result.

The bad: 28 percent say they are unsure how their high-def set is connected and only 11 percent believe they are using HDMI cables, which is the best connection for a high-def picture.

The study was conducted by the research firm SmithGeiger for the Digital Entertainment Group (DEG), a consortium of CE manufacturers, studios and music companies. SmithGeiger interviewed nearly 1,100 HDTV owners.

DEG officials recently introduced a "HDTV Guide," an educational brochure that offers instructions on how to connect a high-def set as well as basic facts about the technology.

Last edited:
I don't watch any more or less TV now than I did before I upgraded, but I certainly enjoy what I do watch a lot more! And having HD has broadened my scope quite a bit. I was locked into a routine of a few SD shows for many years, even if what was on wasn't worth watching. With HD capability I'm more inclined to surf for something in HD when I'm not looking for a particular show. That way I find myself watching Discover, PBS, Equator, etc. and I actually find the programming to often be valuable and of interest, and looking/sounding darn good to boot!

No doubt the new technology brings challenges and frustrations for those that are technically ignorant or inept. Take my wife... (please...!)

I agree BHELMS. I don't watch more scheduled shows, I still have my list of shows I DVR and I watch them. However I am now browsing a LOT more. I will sit down, browse through the HD channels and find something that looks interesting. This leads me a lot of the time to channels I likely wouldn't have watched before, Food Network, Equator, Discovery, HDNET, HGTV.

So yes, my TV watching overall has increased, because I now browse where I never did before.

I agree with both of you. When I'm just surfing for something to watch, I check the HD channels first. Sometimes I'll watch a movie I've seen before just because it's available in HD.

Poke said:
The bad: ...only 11 percent believe they are using HDMI cables, which is the best connection for a high-def picture.

That doesn't surprise me. They should have counted DVI cables in with them since the video is exactly the same. Some tvs just don't have hdmi. Mine doesn't. I used DVI when I had my 811 but since there is no DVI output on the 211 (and I didn't want to buy a converter) I just switched back to component.

bowens said:
...I used DVI when I had my 811 but since there is no DVI output on the 211 (and I didn't want to buy a converter) I just switched back to component.
Probably a good move. The extra weight/leverage that adapter would have presented to the HDMI socket probably would have broken a PCB connection inside the 211 rendering the output useless, as widely reported...

Probably a good move. The extra weight/leverage that adapter would have presented to the HDMI socket probably would have broken a PCB connection inside the 211 rendering the output useless, as widely reported...

Or just buy a converter cable. I got one on ebay for $20 ($25 shipped) that has DVI on one end and HDMI on the other. No extra weight that way.

As far as time goes...If you're new to HD you'll probably wind up spending a lot more time watching stuff you would never otherwise watch. However, once people settle in to thier HDTV most folks probably watch about the same amount...just a lot more of it in HD.

As far as quantity, I actually watch a lot more with our HD DVRs since I typically fly through an hour long show in about a half-hour. And I can PIP and Swap between two or more shows and still achive 85% enjoyment. However, my wife actually watches less TV since she is always replaying something or even rewatching commercials. Ugh!

bowens said:
That doesn't surprise me. They should have counted DVI cables in with them since the video is exactly the same. Some tvs just don't have hdmi. Mine doesn't. I used DVI when I had my 811 but since there is no DVI output on the 211 (and I didn't want to buy a converter) I just switched back to component.
I can't tell any PQ difference between component and HDMI, and probably most other people can't either. So the reference to HDMI connections(11%) in the article is a little misleading...

I definitely watch more; but barely watch ANY SD, except for Sci Fi.

I agree that it is difficult to tell the difference between Component video and hdmi; at least to my eyes.

Before I got HD and even after, I recalled reading threads over at AVS with similar questions. There were people who watch shows, a weekly series, for example, only because it was in HD. A show playing at the same time and day could be on, but not in HD, and they're "boycott" the show ! I mean, given the choice between watching a dental cleaning show in HD vs a bikini car wash show in standard analog, well, you can guess.... :D

I cant say wether i watch more or not. But like others have said what i watch is different. I to scan all the hd channels first. I now will watch HGTV National Geo, i also like some of the stuff on Equator and i find that Rave soundstage has some very good concerts on that look and even more sound amazing. Monsters is good at times to like last night i watched JawS just because it was in HD.

I am like foghorn2, except that my PC monitor is right next to my TV watching position and my rollerball mouse is velcroed to the arm of my recliner, best of both worlds. As to watching more tv, I watch just as much as I ever did, but I always try to watch HD unless there is "compeling" content that is in SD that I must watch.

I have only a handful of shows that are SD, The Shield, Rescue Me, Blade, Stargate 1 and Atlantis, Battlestar Galactica, otherwise everything I watch is HD. I lock the guide into HD only and if I don't see anything worth watching off goes the set.

I know I watch more and always check whats on in HD first. Also, now that Jepeordy and Wheel are in HD, I am looking at that much more often than I ever did before. WNBC 4 in NYC just started local news in HD and I am now watching that more than the other newscasts. Before I really had no preference.

Recently I was away for a couple of days on a business trip. Boy did I miss my HDTV. I did fill in the satisfaction survey card at the motel I stayed at (Microtel Inn & Suites in Olean, NY) and stated just that. It will be a great day when HDTV's come to most motel & hotel rooms across the land.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)