do hughesnet lnb's work with fta receivers?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dekker

Original poster
Dec 26, 2015
Waco Tx
Im trying to get into my first fta set-up trying to go bout it as cheap as possible . is there a common lnb thats fta compatable? such as a wildblue/hughes net lnb? been reading on this stuff for quiet a while but just stumbled upon here today.

No, those LNBFs will not work with a FTA receiver. Modifications have to be made to those dishes in order for them to receive FTA signals

:welcome to Satelliteguys Dekker
You'll want a LNBF with a L.O. (local oscillator) frequency of 10750 Mhz (10.75 Ghz) and the operating frequencies covering 11700 Mhz to 12200 Mhz (11.7 to 12.2 Ghz) See LNB LO Frequency - 101
Modifications to dish would entail provisioning it to hold a proper LNBF in the proper position. (not something that's recommended for a novice)
Here's a dish and LNBF that's highly recommended.
Receiver that's past the 'teething' stage and proven,
Harder to find but also proven, Amiko HDSE, Manhattan DJ1997,

so im guessing 19-20 ghz would rather be pointless, and thanks! ever since i decided to cut the cord a few years ago (although not fully) ive only recently stumbled upon fta concept , i used to line up dish and direct tv sats at a rv park when i was 19 with only a compass but i know things arnt quiet as simple as they seem building a fta system from scratch , i live in a apartment so only ku for me.... and minimal budget , i probably shouldn't be getting into this stuff given my current situation but my love for anything space related prevails, ive been finding out all kinds of neat stuff such as outer net ect .

Welcome to the site Dekker !
Yeah, I would not fool with the trias on hughesnet or wildblue dishes. Most are KA band and other specs are not right.
You could reuse the Hughesnet dish however. Not big enough to get all Ku signals but will work with some stuff.
FaT Air made some good suggestions!

Welcome to SatGuys!

A linear LNBF with a Lo of 10750 like Fat Air said will work, a universal one with a Lo of 9750/10600 will too. If you do try re-using a old paid service dish, LNBFs can be bought for cheap money within the $5 to $20 range on Amazon, Ebay, etc, and from some members on here. A PLL [phase-locked-loop] LNBF will give you the best bang for your buck.

Reactions: Dekker
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)