Do I even need the Dish 500 Anymore?

Y2k06

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 16, 2006
After a series of confusing calls between the CSR's at Dish, and the installers 'winging it', Here's what I've got.

I have the Dish 1000 with 3 LNB (110, 119, 129) coming into a DPP 44 switch. Three of the ports OUT are all going to 3 HD receivers, 2 with splitters.

The remaining SD TV in the house is connected to a Dish 500, with a DP34 switch going to a single SD receiver.

Due to recent storm damage, I will get getting a new roof. I really don't want TWO dishes on the roof if I only need one.

It seems common sense that I could simply take the SD lead off the DP34 / D500 and just plug it in to the DPP44 switch?

Is this correct? Am I missing anything? I have no need to 'ask' for a 1000.2 unless I need it. Everything is working beautifully now and truly believe if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Anyone agree that I don't even need the Dish 500 for the one remaining SD TV in the house?

Where would I connect the last cable on the DPP44 switch for the SD line out?

Yeah I have my 2nd dish at 61.5 hooked up to the dish 1000.2. If yours is going into a DPP44 you have 4 outputs so you could just hook your SD receiver into the 44 and be done. Theres no reason to have the 2nd dish right now.

When the roofer remove the existing dish(es), I've measured pretty good as to where it will need to go back.

Assuming the 'footprint' of the mounting bracket is very close to where it was, do you think I'll have any problem hooking up with good signals? I'm pretty sure I can get it really close.

Also, does the SD come off the side of the DPP44 to the one remaing SD TV? Will I even need the DP34 for anything?

When the roofer remove the existing dish(es), I've measured pretty good as to where it will need to go back.

Assuming the 'footprint' of the mounting bracket is very close to where it was, do you think I'll have any problem hooking up with good signals? I'm pretty sure I can get it really close.

Also, does the SD come off the side of the DPP44 to the one remaing SD TV? Will I even need the DP34 for anything?

No, the open side is used to cascade another switch, you will not need the DP34 unless you add a fifth receiver.

Well think of it this way, you are aiming at a little microdot in the sky. Think of it as your pickup truck in space and you have a laser pointer mounted on the end of your dish that you are trying to use to hit your truck. It's not that bad but thinking of it this way makes it easier for me.

My bet is that you won't get it right on when you re-install and it will take a little fidgeting to get it peaked well. Have someone at the tv reading the numbers to you while you are doing it. And when I say 'doing it' I mean very tiny MICRO adjustments. If you don't mess with your set screws when you remove your dish it should be close to what you need.

if by "really close" you mean perfect... then you may be ok. If not, you will probably have to tweak it to get good signals, mainly on the 129

No, the open side is used to cascade another switch, you will not need the DP34 unless you add a fifth receiver.

So, the D-500 that is up there now that currently has 2 coax cables coming to a DP34 in the attic isn't needed anymore, correct?

And, the 3 coax cables coming from the D1000 to the DPP 44 switch would use the one remaining "to receiver" port for the only remaining SD TV, correct? (it is looking at 110, 119, 129)

In tweaking the signal, should I cover one or more of the LNB's with foil and focus on getting ONE strong signal first - like the hardest? If so which one.... I am NOT planning on moving any of the settings already tweaked previously. Will just move dish around slightly on hope to lock on.

Thanks

Cover up the two outside LNBs and use the middle one to find 119. 119 is the easiest to find and has a good strong signal so you can get in the right neighborhood pretty quick. Once you have that done, cover up the two rightmost LNBs (as viewed from behind the dish) and go for 129 transponder 31. Since 129 is the weakest satellite, you will want to get it peaked so you don't have any signal dropouts on it. Also, make sure your mast is plumb. This is most critical.

If you want to avoid holes in the roof, get this product and slip the roofer some extra cash to put it in. LINK

If it were me:

I'd talk to a local retailer, and trade the POS 1000, the 500, the dp44, and the 34 switch for one 1000.2 and lnb. It will handle 3 twin tuners and also a fourth sat if needed.

(And, I've installed a few hundred dishes - never once had to cover an lnb!!!)

fred

If it were me:

I'd talk to a local retailer, and trade the POS 1000, the 500, the dp44, and the 34 switch for one 1000.2 and lnb. It will handle 3 twin tuners and also a fourth sat if needed.

(And, I've installed a few hundred dishes - never once had to cover an lnb!!!)

fred

Professional installers and a few select customers can align a dish without any trouble. If the OP doesn't fall into either class, then covering the LNB will be quite useful, especially for a first-timer.

Professional installers and a few select customers can align a dish without any trouble. If the OP doesn't fall into either class, then covering the LNB will be quite useful, especially for a first-timer.

Way back when before all this HD came out I had the two D500's. One was looking at 110 and 119 (I think). The 'first era' of HD and VOOM were MPEG2 and they put up the second 500 pointing to 61.5 But the 129 wasn't fully ready for VOOM (and locals - I think) and was a mix of MPEG 2 and 4, with notice that 61.5 was carrying the load but would be eliminated with the D1000 and 129 would be the mainstay.

Then when we got the first HD 622, up went the D-1000 and they took down the 61.5. Later, I found that I was missing channels and still had a need for 61.5. So, like a good boy scout would do, got my surveyors compass and protractor to 'eyeball' about where I thought it should point.

To my amazement, I hit it right on the dot first try! Needed just a very minor tweak to gain max signal.

Then when we got the other HD TV's, the 61.5 was no longer needed so it was taken down.

Now I'm hearing you say to KEEP the now (not needed) D500 for potential to point back to 61.5 again?

I think I've got the picture. Thanks for the help. Hope it goes well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)