Do I have a dead 922?

BearHuntr

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Dec 11, 2003
This is pretty weird. So today just after noon, I was watching a recording on my 922 when it just shut off and the fan on it was really loud. I had to unplug the power cord and replug it back in to get it to come back up as it did not reboot on its own. What is really strange is that at the exact same time, my wireless connection on my laptop dropped. The wireless router is plugged into the same power strip. When the 922 rebooted, it seemed OK again, but did the same shut down thing after a few hours. This repeated a few times during the afternoon. Eventually, I plugged the 922 into a different outlet hoping that might help. It did for a while and then around 6:30 pm, it shut down and this time couldn't get past the Starting up boot screens before shutting down again. Every time it shuts down the fan goes crazy. I left it unplugged for just over 30 minutes and tried again. Still no luck. I've made several attempts with starting it up with different cables unplugged from the back (OTA antenna, USB cable to EHD, ethernet cable, even the SAT line to the dish) and got some success it that it would eventually boot back up and I would see a channel, but as soon as I hit the Guide or DVR buttons on the remote, it would shut down again.

I'm guessing that I have a dead 922, but just curious if there is anything else I can do? If I do need to get my box swapped out, how does that work? Does dish send me a new one that I can connect myself or does a technician have to do that? Do I have to contact Dish directly to initiate that or can the Dish support guys here on the forum help? How long does it usually take to get a new box?

This really sucks as I was planning to get a Hopper to replace the 922 right away. If only it could've waited a couple weeks.:mad:

If it won't power up it's dead. Dish will mail you one or you can have a tech come out. Depending on your local office it may be faster to have it mailed. The customer service rep will tell you the earliest available day to schedule when you call.

This is pretty weird. So today just after noon, I was watching a recording on my 922 when it just shut off and the fan on it was really loud. I had to unplug the power cord and replug it back in to get it to come back up as it did not reboot on its own. What is really strange is that at the exact same time, my wireless connection on my laptop dropped. The wireless router is plugged into the same power strip. When the 922 rebooted, it seemed OK again, but did the same shut down thing after a few hours. This repeated a few times during the afternoon. Eventually, I plugged the 922 into a different outlet hoping that might help. It did for a while and then around 6:30 pm, it shut down and this time couldn't get past the Starting up boot screens before shutting down again. Every time it shuts down the fan goes crazy. I left it unplugged for just over 30 minutes and tried again. Still no luck. I've made several attempts with starting it up with different cables unplugged from the back (OTA antenna, USB cable to EHD, ethernet cable, even the SAT line to the dish) and got some success it that it would eventually boot back up and I would see a channel, but as soon as I hit the Guide or DVR buttons on the remote, it would shut down again.

I'm guessing that I have a dead 922, but just curious if there is anything else I can do? If I do need to get my box swapped out, how does that work? Does dish send me a new one that I can connect myself or does a technician have to do that? Do I have to contact Dish directly to initiate that or can the Dish support guys here on the forum help? How long does it usually take to get a new box?

This really sucks as I was planning to get a Hopper to replace the 922 right away. If only it could've waited a couple weeks.:mad:

It does sound like the 922 has failed. If you send me a PM with your phone number or account number, I can get you details on a replacement receiver

Did the loud fan noise come back every time? Thanks.

It does sound like the 922 has failed. If you send me a PM with your phone number or account number, I can get you details on a replacement receiver
Matt, thanks for the offer, but I was able to chat with tech support last night and they are sending me a new 922 on Friday. If only I could have gotten a Hopper instead! Please tell me getting a replacement 922 will not affect my being able to get a Hopper on day 1!

Last edited:
Did the loud fan noise come back every time? Thanks.
Yes, every time that it has shut off, the fan goes full speed. I left it last night and the fan was still going this morning. I tried booting it up a few more times today and sometimes it seemed to be running normal, but within about 5-10 minutes, it shut off again. I wish that I could have gotten my recordings backed up to the EHD.

My 2 Boxee boxes have been a godsend with the dead Dish receiver.

Dish DIRT members - you know, while I haven't had this problem, it is clear that several experience this same thing. Is it possible to give the official, technical explanation of what this failing is, and why it goes bad? Is there a chip that is faulty, or something that overheats, or what? Or maybe indicate: what does the reconditioning center do to make these units work again? (or are they completely 'toast'?)

Dish DIRT members - you know, while I haven't had this problem, it is clear that several experience this same thing. Is it possible to give the official, technical explanation of what this failing is, and why it goes bad? Is there a chip that is faulty, or something that overheats, or what? Or maybe indicate: what does the reconditioning center do to make these units work again? (or are they completely 'toast'?)

It's electronic equipment, and there could be a number of thigns that have failed. In my house (these are not all mine) I have a computer with a power supply that fried my HDD and motherboard, another computer with a bad HDD, and a third that has a dead motherboard.

We do not have access to inverntory, so we aren't able to see what is done to receivers that may be refurbished. All receivers are tested before being sent out to make sure that they are working like new

Thanks for the response, Matt. However, what I was aiming for was not conjecture or comparison, but something that would say - hey, this is basically what we are seeing create this scenario of a near-dead 922 with high fan noise. It was my hope that there would be some specifics that could be researched and reported. You have to admit - this is a common reported failure scenario.

So I got the replacement 922 yesterday and everything seems to be working fine, however, I noticed something weird with restoring my timers from my main remote with the system wizard. The restore said it was successful, but when I looked at the list of timers, there were only about 50 of the 85 or so timers I had. What's even weirder is that some numbers were missing. So, there was a Timer for 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, etc..., but not 3, 6, etc... I rebooted the receiver and the missing numbers came back, but it just filled in the blanks with the next in line instead of the missing timers. I ended up using the bedroom remote and did the restore process again and all 85 timers came back. Has anyone else seen this?

So I got the replacement 922 yesterday and everything seems to be working fine, however, I noticed something weird with restoring my timers from my main remote with the system wizard. The restore said it was successful, but when I looked at the list of timers, there were only about 50 of the 85 or so timers I had. What's even weirder is that some numbers were missing. So, there was a Timer for 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, etc..., but not 3, 6, etc... I rebooted the receiver and the missing numbers came back, but it just filled in the blanks with the next in line instead of the missing timers. I ended up using the bedroom remote and did the restore process again and all 85 timers came back. Has anyone else seen this?
when i had to replace my 922 last november it did the same thing. i ended up just deleting all the timers and redoing them. it was a PITA, since i thought the "backup" feature was suppose to make this easier.

when i had to replace my 922 last november it did the same thing. i ended up just deleting all the timers and redoing them. it was a PITA, since i thought the "backup" feature was suppose to make this easier.
I figured as much, when I get the Hopper I plan to manually recreate all of the timer even it if does support the restore option from the 922 remote.

Funny mine just developed the same problem yesterday, fan running loudly, no picture and only a hard reset gets it up and running again for about an hour.

Funny in that it started yesterday, March 15 2012, the same day of the Joey/Hopper, hmmmm!?!

Funny mine just developed the same problem yesterday, fan running loudly, no picture and only a hard reset gets it up and running again for about an hour.

Funny in that it started yesterday, March 15 2012, the same day of the Joey/Hopper, hmmmm!?!
I highly recommend backing up any recordings to an EHD before it's too late.

My 922 did the same thing starting about 3 weeks ago. I finally called tech support and received a replacement 922 yesterday. Hooked it up this morning. All was well for over an hour. The last thing it did was get some sort of large download that appeared to upgrade the firmware. After that it ran 10 minutes and then like my original, the screen goes out, all the lights go off the front, and the fan starts buzzing really loud. I called tech support and now they're going to send me out another 922. Whatever they've done to update the firmware, it's killing the 922. Extremely pissed as I loved my 922 until this. I told the tech several times to tell them that there's a problem in the software download and he said he would "note" it on my account. I'm game. How many 922's will they send me until it gets fixed. I really think support should have sent a tech out. At least i was able to get my dvr backed up to my EHD. I would think if something is defective in the box it wouldn't show a picture etc. It works fine for 10 minutes. I wonder if they've changed something in the software that's now causing the Broadcom chip to be overdriven making it overheat?

I have had a similar issue. The first time last November. Then again this morning. One thing i did notice this time, i started seeing Starz and HBO in mu guide Thursday / Friday. Then Sunday morning reboot and loud fan. Can get it to boot up, but as in this post within minutes it black screens and fan goes loud. Have to pull plug to shut it up. If memory serves me correctly, I saw the same weird channels showing up last November before it died. So after a long tech session I have another unit coming.....but of course my recordings are gone....not happy.

My 922 appears to be suffering from the same fate. I came home to discover it unresponsive with the fan blarring. I unplugged it and after plugging it back in, it eventually started up. After about 10 minutes of tv, the picture and sound went dark, all the lights on the front panel went dark,and the fan started blarring again. I just unplugged it. Any new developments regarding this issue? I'd hate to swap out my 922 for another. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

My 922 appears to be suffering from the same fate. I came home to discover it unresponsive with the fan blarring. I unplugged it and after plugging it back in, it eventually started up. After about 10 minutes of tv, the picture and sound went dark, all the lights on the front panel went dark,and the fan started blarring again. I just unplugged it. Any new developments regarding this issue? I'd hate to swap out my 922 for another. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Sounds like it failed :(

Nothing else that can be done besides resetting the receiver, and hoping it will boot properly

Sounds like it failed :(

Nothing else that can be done besides resetting the receiver, and hoping it will boot properly
922 :tombstone::D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts