Do I have a lemon? or is the 622 A POS?

chicagofilms

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 15, 2004
I find I have to do a hard reboot almost every day. Usually the picture will go black on all channels & DVR programs. a reboot clears it up. Today I had an interesting one; the picture got split in 3, with the right side on the left side of the screen and the right side on the left side :eek: . Once again, hard reboot fixed it. Another issue is I loose audio, but still have video & have to reboot.

Is this common? Or do I have alemon?

It sounds like you have a lemon IMO. A had a quirky box, but after six weeks of troubleshooting I could no longer accept the issues as being software related. I received a replacement two weeks ago and all has been peachy keen for the most part. There are some known software issues with your audio and video problems (especially when it comes to HD LIL and local OTA), but you shouldn't have to hard reboot daily. Are there any common patterns to your reboots?

One common thing I can think of off the top of my head is that I do watch alot of HD locals LIL & OTA. It seems I run into more serious issues when switching from DVR to live or switching from OTA to sat.

Guess I'll be calling Dish & try to get a replacement.

The 622 has most of it's problems OTA related. My first one did, my second one does it. Not real bad though. Not bad enough yet to get it replaced again. Still waiting on a new software upgrade. After that, we'll see how it acts. In your case, which is as bad as my first one was, you need to INSIST to get it replaced! Play Dish roulette if you have to. People paid way too much money for their "HIGH END" receiver, as Dish calls it, to put up with this "alpha" status device ViP622. It's great, as long as it runs.

Dish will keep promising software upgrades until the 211 and 622 are out of warranty and then you and I will be stuck with our POSs.

jerryez said:
Dish will keep promising software upgrades until the 211 and 622 are out of warranty and then you and I will be stuck with our POSs.
No Sir, I'll put up with the bugs just a little bit longer, and then I'll demand a replacement again. Then the warranty starts over.

I've been waiting for the next software release (or until the end of the month after all the shows hit their finale) so I can determine if I need a replacement, and then lose all my content and reprogram my timers (i've began to write them down!! BOOO DISH give us a way to back up our timers ahem ahem enable that ethernet port and upload them to our online account for tweaking!!)

ralfyguy said:
No Sir, I'll put up with the bugs just a little bit longer, and then I'll demand a replacement again. Then the warranty starts over.

No it does not. Warranties start from the original date of purchase.

Robert
PS:Leased units have to be fixed.

ralfyguy said:
It's leased, so every time I get a replacement the warranty should start over.

No end to the warranty on a leased unit. They have to provide a properly working unit.

Robert

Dish's statements about the warranty on leased units have been confusing. In a recent chat, they stated that a leased 622 had a 1 year warranty. What does this mean? It implies that there would be a repair charge if a problem occurs after that.

However, others have stated that if ones pays a return shipping fee, that Dish will replace any leased receiver.

Anyone know the real poop?

I agree with the position that if you get a new leased unit, and if there really is a warranty, that the warranty will not start over upon receipt of a replacement unit. It is possible for the warranty to be restarted, but that is not an industry standard.

As to 622s being a POS, a recent poll of over 160 622 owners returned a result of approx 88% of them being very satisfied to satisfied with their 622. That's a very high positive result.

Tom Bombadil said:
As to 622s being a POS, a recent poll of over 160 622 owners returned a result of approx 88% of them being very satisfied to satisfied with their 622. That's a very high positive result.

Compared to the 942 - the 622 needs a lot of improvement ... I still rely on the 942 over the 622.

My 942 is a POS. Lots of problems. I'm hoping that when I upgrade to a 622 that there will be less issues there.

Current 942 problems:

- Nightly update check screws up EPG
- Nightly update check screws up receiver to dish, requiring a daily checkswitch test
- DD audio problems between 942 and receiver. Problems that did not exist with 4900, 7100, 510 or 811 DD feeds
- 942 gets screwed up over time, requiring power on/off reset every 4-5 days.
- Switching between HD and SD channels occasionally initiates a signal reception test that takes 3- 5 minutes to complete.

I used a Dishplayer 7100 for about 4 years and had fewer problems with it than with my 942.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)