do I need a hd reciever to get local hd channels such as nbc?

zim

Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
lancaster pa
I currently have an hd ready tv with a comcast hd receiver, I am looking to switch over to dish or direct and would like to know if I need to get the hd reciever to pick up local channels that broadcast in hd or if the reciever is just if you want the hd cable channels?

Most of the current HD receivers and DVR's have built-in OTA receivers, so you can pick up locals through them. Two of the newest, the 722K HDDVR and 222K HD Receiver would require an optional ($30.00) OTA module which provide two OTA receivers. If your area has locals on sat, you of course can receive them without the OTA tuners if you subscribe to locals.

Your TV would have to be pretty old to be only "HD Ready". HD Ready is an HDTV with analog-only tuner, no digital tuner. I had one of those nine years ago (a $6000 Pioneer Elite), but every HDTV I've bought since then has been equipped with a digital tuner.

I currently have an hd ready tv with a comcast hd receiver, I am looking to switch over to dish or direct and would like to know if I need to get the hd reciever to pick up local channels that broadcast in hd or if the reciever is just if you want the hd cable channels?

Chances are, if you were to sign up for Dish, they would give you HD equipment anyway. They are pretty much giving Mpeg 4 receivers out now instead of Mpeg 2. I think everyone one is going to end up w/ hd equipment eventually. Unless you do the "Flex Tv" where you have to buy the receiver.

Yeah, if you sign up with Dish, you will get an HD receiver. You can hook up your antenna to the receiver and get your locals in HD. You on't even have to subscribe to the HD channels on Dish. Pretty sweet deal if you ask me. The only way you would have to spend more is if you get a 722k or 222k, in which you would have to purchase the OTA module.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts