Do i need a Hopper?

Hopper fanboys are a hoot! They don't seem to understand not everyone NEEDS or wants one. Which is why I held on to my 922 until I left DISH last August!

Hopper fanboys are a hoot! They don't seem to understand not everyone NEEDS or wants one. Which is why I held on to my 922 until I left DISH last August!
He is asking if he "needs" one. We are explaining the benefits of having one compared to not having one. I see no relevance in your post other than to troll.

Reactions: KAB and rodder
While folks have shared benefits others have also mentioned why it may not be a good fit. don't think people are saying you must go to the Hopper now!

Last edited:
Will Dish (direct) not do it?
Answering myself here.... I went to Dish's website and began to sign up as a new customer, told the system builder I had (1) TV, and it's offering a Hopper with Sling. I didn't have to specify I wanted a Hopper (it didn't even ask if I wanted DVR service - it defaults to it!).

After the two responses below, I started to think that no, they wouldn't, that you had to work the system.
You are correct Hall. I beleive they are supposed to offer a H/J solution it another receiver, but as I mentioned in my post, there are so many different ways around that, it's honestly not really worth mentioning as a limitation.

I do remember when you couldn't get a Hopper by itself (it was a "rule" or policy of Dish's) and the trick mentioned by @Bobby was given around here. Given the push/emphasis Dish has put on the Hopper in the past year or so, I was thinking that getting one now had no restrictions.

I do remember when you couldn't get a Hopper by itself (it was a "rule" or policy of Dish's) and the trick mentioned by @Bobby was given around here. Given the push/emphasis Dish has put on the Hopper in the past year or so, I was thinking that getting one now had no restrictions.
Makes sense. Maybe we can have a DIRT member verify if any restrictions. Granted, as mentioned, restrictions really do not matter if they won't stick to them either. lol.

Maybe we can have a DIRT member verify if any restrictions.
The only restrictions might be related to a potential customer's credit, the package they sign up for (that may only determine if it's free or will cost money out-of-pocket), etc.

As I mentioned above, the "builder" at Dish's website defaults to a Hopper. Using this tool, there's no obvious way to refuse one (or DVR service) using the website. I'm sure if you call in, you can though.... Here's what it gives one for just (1) TV:

hopper.PNG

Reactions: ChadT41
When I first upgraded from 722 to H2K, I got 2 Hoppers no Joeys for 2 TVs in my RV. That was back when you could not install a Hopper in an RV. I went thru Dish, but it took about 5 different CSRs in the retention department, before I got the one who knew how to do it all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts