Do I need a HTPC ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Steve Mackay

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 9, 2004
I'm remodelling the living room and putting in a new HD LCD TV (questions on that for another thread).

I have a wireless network in the house to connect my laptop & desktop to the net. Is there a device that can can use to connect to my new TV's VGA input that I can send pictures/video/music to wirelessly via my router and have that device show it on the TV?

It seems like HTPC is not what I need because I already have 2 PC's I don't think I need a third. I have a dishnetwork DVR so I don't need a PC to do DVR stuff.

Is there such a device?

Cheers

Steve

Do you enjoy gaming? If so, an X-Box 360 might be a great choice. With support for wired and wireless networking and tight integration with Windows XP MCE and Vista, it might be a really nice choice for you. Those D-Link devices would be nice, and the AppleTV looks promising. But, even though I don't yet have one, the X-Box 360 looks very tempting, and has the full weight of Microsoft behind it as a media center hub.

I would have to say that the 360 works pretty good as a media extender. As long as my PC has a wired connection I can send HD video and it looks outstanding. Wireless has some problems when trying to send an HD stream. Of course wireless is perfect for pictures, music and SD video.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts