Do I need a new Dish for getting HD ?

max2k1

Original poster
Oct 11, 2004
I'm a current Dish customer with the AT120 package.
Have a single dish 500 somehow crammed into my small apartment patio. It receives 110 and 119 programming.

If I want to upgrade to HD (maybe lease a 811 receiver), would I need a second dish pointed elsewhere ?
I heard that VOOM might need a separate dish - but how about the HD Pak channels ? Do they get picked up by the current dish 500 unit itself and I just add a HD receiver ??

I guess adding another dish might make things a bit difficult -- space constraints and the apt. doesn't like dish too much !! (I think they get a cut from the cable guys)

The HD pak is available on the 110/119 satellite so you will not need another dish. If you want the Voom channels, you will need a 2nd dish pointed at the 61.5 satellite.

Mike4HDTV said:
The HD pak is available on the 110/119 satellite so you will not need another dish. If you want the Voom channels, you will need a 2nd dish pointed at the 61.5 satellite.

Thanks for confirming that -- I can't get VOOM as I don't have any visibility to the 61.5 bird.
At least I can get the HD pak !

max2k1 said:
Thanks for confirming that -- I can't get VOOM as I don't have any visibility to the 61.5 bird.
At least I can get the HD pak !

I also don't have 61.5 visibility. I wrote to ceo@echostar.com pointing out that many of us dont' have access to 61.5 and therefore were singled out of the voom channels. He actually called me within 10 minutes ! :shocked He thanked me for "pointing out that fact" and that dish will be working on that... :rolleyes: well, but at least he called. So perhaps you should do the same and email them also. if all of us who can't access 61.5 tell them that, and IF we're enough people, who knows, a miracle may happen and they may actually mirror those channels in another bird before 2050! :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)