Do I need a repoint?

dwarren2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 30, 2003
Rochester, NY Region
Had my roof replaced last Thursday. Roofers did not garanttee that they would get the Dish pointed properly. I checked and I was getting both 62.7 and 72. Just did a check switch and I am not getting 77. Checking signal strength on 61.5 the best is 53 on trans 24 and on 72, 30-31 on trans 18 and 22.

do it yourself? Since the signal are low you are very close to the "sweet spot" and probably would take 5-10 minutes of your time to do

The dish sits on the edge of my roof 2 stories up. I have no ladder long enough to get that high. Since I haven't lost any channels, I just may leave it as it is. Am I loosing anythin by not being able to get 77?

The dish sits on the edge of my roof 2 stories up. I have no ladder long enough to get that high. Since I haven't lost any channels, I just may leave it as it is. Am I loosing anythin by not being able to get 77?

After taking a very brief look, there's a handful that you may be missing (like some PPV channels, I think there are some Spanish channels also). Other than that, it doesn't look like you're missing much.

If you choose to, you can go with the "If it's not broke, don't fix it" motto.

MattG@ DISH NETWORK said:
After taking a very brief look, there's a handful that you may be missing (like some PPV channels, I think there are some Spanish channels also). Other than that, it doesn't look like you're missing much.

If you choose to, you can go with the "If it's not broke, don't fix it" motto.

It needs to be properly aligned... U should know better.

It needs to be properly aligned... U should know better.

I DO know better. Not having a full arc installed does make the OP more susceptible to lose channels due to satellite moves that may happen.

However, without the OP being able to do it himself, or not wanting to pay for a tech to come do it, the problem is out of my hands.

Didn't want to say anything before I talked to him, but Matt comes through again.

Woke up this morning and found a PM from Matt saying he would arrange a tech visit at no charge to repoint the dish. He just called me and we set up the visit for tomorrow AM.

The DIRT team comes through again!!

Why is it we seem to be getting more and more people bitching at the responses by the DIRT team, even when their responses are correct.

People are always looking to criticize.

Why is it we seem to be getting more and more people bitching at the responses by the DIRT team, even when their responses are correct.

I wasn't complaining. They are a valuable asset. The tech just left. While the roofers tried, and were close. Tech was here about 30 minutes and took care of repointing and correcting the dish installation.
Thanks to Matt for setting it up at no charge to me.

This is the internet. Most people's first reaction is to be an a--h---, unfortunately. The Dish team on here has been nothing but awesome and professional.

Anyway, I came into this thread to wonder out loud: why do installers always put the dish on top of the roof? Is it just because it is easiest? This re-roofing issue has to come into play all of the time. Back when I installed my own dish 10 years ago I put it on the chimney for that reason--I didn't want to fool with it if/when my house was re-roofed. When I moved into my current house I had it put on a pole about 20 feet away from my house. It was more for the line-of-sight, but secondarily avoids the roofing issue. Good thing too--I had to put a new roof on my house a year ago.

Anyway, it just seems like standard practice should be to mount somewhere other than down through the shingles and into the decking of a roof. Just my $.02.

Often there is no other choice. I have no chimney. There is a line of tall trees on the south side of my property. My original dish was in the middle of the west facing side of my roof. The new 10k4 is on the SE edge of the roof.

This is twice in as many days where I've seen the DIRT team get hammered in a reply. I suppose Matt should have just strong armed it and said ; You are getting a tech visit whether you want it or not, you will be billed for it whether you want it or not!, but while we were "ranting", Matt worked his behind the scenes magic and solved the issue. Good job Matt.

This is twice in as many days where I've seen the DIRT team get hammered in a reply. I suppose Matt should have just strong armed it and said ; You are getting a tech visit whether you want it or not, you will be billed for it whether you want it or not!, but while we were "ranting", Matt worked his behind the scenes magic and solved the issue. Good job Matt.

Thanks, I try my best :D

Nobody got "hammered"...As a retailer, I am very thankful that we have the DIRT team here. But we all must be careful what we tell our customers. I'm just so sick and tired of hearing people say that satellite goes out when it's cloudy... Well no crap, it's not pointed correctly.

The customer spent thousands of dollars getting a new roof installed, he should have to pay to get it fixed. Dish, the retailer or the tech should not have to pay for something the customer did.

There were many other options for the customer other than "if it's not broke, dont fix it"

A. Pay Dish $95 for a truck roll
B. Hire a local retailer
C. Place an ad on craigslist for a repoint

I'm sure I can think of more, but for a Dish rep to say leave it alone was wrong and he admits he knows better.

Sorry if I offended anyone. My jaw dropped when I saw the DIRT teams response...

skynetamit said:
Sorry if I offended anyone. My jaw dropped when I saw the DIRT teams response...

Thanks for the apology. I think people are just asking for the DIRT team to be treated with some courtesy and respect. I for one think they've earned it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)