Do I need DirecTV's protection plan?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tom J

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2004
Omaha, NE
There seems to be numerous negative comments concerning the protection plan. I understand that it’s a high pressure sell and is almost certainly pure profit for DTV. I’m left to wonder what do I actually get out of it? Many of the “features” seem to be things DTV would cover regardless. (I.E. They offer to replace a bad receiver or DVR. Don’t they have to if it’s leased?)

I can troubleshoot receiver problems, fix any wiring problems, diagnose network issues, even re-align the dish if I need to (pending buying a meter). So, would I get anything out of it? What am I missing?

If you are handy at the maintenance of your system, there is little benefit to the pp. It does give you guaranteed free shipping, but you can often get that by asking for it. The higher level pp gets you guaranteed free upgrades, but that's something you can often get by asking for, too.

is that something you wouldn't have gotten even without the PP? Just by calling and saying your 2 years were up and asking for retention?

Maybe, depending upon your payment history, monthly commitment, and the csr you get.

If you think you may need more than one service call in a 1 yr period then, IMHO, it's an absolute must.
For most areas its probably not necessary, but for folks in places like Florida (hurricane season) and Arizona (Extreme winds) it can save them a ton of money.
I also think its a good thing for a lot of senior citizens who dont have family close by to help them when they need it.

I agree, older folks yes! People that haven't a clue what a genie is or a DVR, yes!! These are the most normal service call we make. Older people that don't have a clue

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I agree, older folks yes! People that haven't a clue what a genie is or a DVR, yes!! These are the most normal service call we make. Older people that don't have a clue

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I'm an older folk and am pretty knowledgeable but too old to climb up on the roof. We live in an area that experiences high winds and sometimes the Dish needs to be aligned. When I got the free HR44 I didn't have to play CSR roulette and beg for an upgrade, I just told the front line CSR that I wanted it and she said "no problem, we can get that installed tomorrow afternoon if you like". That's the kind of service I expect and am willing to pay for.

I was never one for buying any ext warranty or PP on anything. Then I had a problem and saw that it was going to cost me $150 for a new SWiM and PI. I but the bullet and signed up for PP then waited the 30 days required for coverage to take effect. I was planning on waiting the obligatory 60 days and then cancel it, then they added the free equipment upgrade to it. After the BS I went through to upgrade my old HR21 and S12s 2 years ago, I decided the $100/yr for the PP was money well spent.

I got it because my install was an apartment install. So being a pole mount if something goes terribly wrong they fix it for free with the plan PLUS they already replaced the lnb once because the first lnb went bad somehow.

I got it because my install was an apartment install. So being a pole mount if something goes terribly wrong they fix it for free with the plan PLUS they already replaced the lnb once because the first lnb went bad somehow.

Part of the way the game is played = LNBs rarely fail but they are a replaceable component that gets switched out without comment while repeated repointing or incorrectly cut fittings eventually get charged to a tech or customer. Hope for better luck with the LNBs.

I always told customers the PP was like buying one SD receiver a year...but they were pretty bullet proof. With more than one recorder or a Genie rig the PP will probably pay for itself...in my opinion.

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)