Do I need this DECA thing?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Speedwagon

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 30, 2004
I just got my DirecTV install today. The installer said that this DECA thing is needed for internet connectivity of the HR24 HD DVR I got. Why does this box have an ethernet port on it, if it needs this DECA thing? From what I've searched for and read online, the DECA created a network inside the coax cable. But I only have one receiver. That, along with the amp(or whatever it is) in the coax from the antenna, plus the DVR, means I needed 3 dang power outlets just to add some satellite TV.

DECA is the only official solution that DirecTV supports because they don't want to be in the home network support business. By doing MRV using Ethernet over coax it keeps the traffic off your network gear so they can limit what they need to troubleshoot.

That said, the HR24 has DECA built in -- you wouldn't need a separate adapter. Also, if you only have a single receiver, you can just use the Ethernet jack to link back to your Internet connection for On Demand content without issues.

DECA is the only official solution that DirecTV supports because they don't want to be in the home network support business. By doing MRV using Ethernet over coax it keeps the traffic off your network gear so they can limit what they need to troubleshoot.

That said, the HR24 has DECA built in -- you wouldn't need a separate adapter. Also, if you only have a single receiver, you can just use the Ethernet jack to link back to your Internet connection for On Demand content without issues.

Ok. As I said, I only have one receiver, and no intention of expanding. I only own one television. Tech support(who I just called) offered no useful information. They just told me that whatever the tech installed, is what it needs. Right, like the install techs are all knowing on everything, all the time.

So I can get rid of this white DECA box, and run directly from my router to the HR24, no problems then. That is what I want.

So I can get rid of this white DECA box, and run directly from my router to the HR24, no problems then. That is what I want.

Yes, you can just run a cable from your router to the receiver but I am jut curious on why you would want to do that. If they already have the DECA module installed everything is already setup for you. The only thing you would benefit with running the cable is the time, effort and costs of running the network cable.

Edit: Just saw were you were concerned with needing the extra power outlets. If this is an issue then I can understand why you would want to get rid of the DECA module.

I just got my DirecTV install today. The installer said that this DECA thing is needed for internet connectivity of the HR24 HD DVR I got. Why does this box have an ethernet port on it, if it needs this DECA thing? From what I've searched for and read online, the DECA created a network inside the coax cable. But I only have one receiver. That, along with the amp(or whatever it is) in the coax from the antenna, plus the DVR, means I needed 3 dang power outlets just to add some satellite TV.

If you were told you needed a separate DECA "thingy" then you did not get an HR-24 and the installer is either:

a) clueless
b) honestly mistaken (see a)
c) trying to unload an HR21, 22 or 23

HR-24 has DECA built in.

I definitely have an HR24-500(I looked at the back). I definitely have a white DECA module box.

Today, I removed the white box, and plugged my router cable directly to the HR24, and hit the red reset button. Got on the internet just fine. My HR24 is 2 feet away from my router and modem, and I really didn't want/need extra cables and such in the area with everything I already have there(TV, stereo, DVD, xbox, router, modem, etc.).

The installer told me I needed the DECA box because the HR24 had problems connecting to the internet. The limited research I have done, has led me to the conclusion they only have problems when there are multiple receivers involved. Just saw that my bill is available online, and they charged me a $25 fee for "Internet Connection Kit." And apparently D* has no idea what the "Internet Connection Kit" actually means. I am now on my 2nd person on the phone, and they are still trying to figure it out. But I do not see a $3 fee anywhere on my statement. She put in a request to have the $25 fee reversed, but didn't say anything about the DECA box. She couldn't actually tell me how the charge got there, or what it was for though.

I looked at the other box in the coax, and it is a SWM module.

Last edited:
Yeah if you just have one HD DVR not a issues! I had put in a spare room where my wireless router was due to I did not have a network drop behind my entertainment center. Plus I want the DVR to communicate with my other HD Receiver as well. So it will vary from install to install.

And apparently D* has no idea what the "Internet Connection Kit" actually means. I am now on my 2nd person on the phone, and they are still trying to figure it out. But I do not see a $3 fee anywhere on my statement. She put in a request to have the $25 fee reversed, but didn't say anything about the DECA box. She couldn't actually tell me how the charge got there, or what it was for though.
Ahh the joy of CSRs and companies who change policies without informing them.

As you guessed, the "Internet Connection Kit" is the separate white DECA module. Typically they would link all the receivers together via DECA, and then run a line to wherever your router is and use that separate module near your home network to allow the receivers to connect to your network and out to the Internet.

With a single receiver, this is obviously unnecessary if you can attach into your network nearby via Ethernet.

So the $25 charge was basically for a part that you didn't really need, but was probably spelled out as a requirement as part of the install tech's DECA training.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts