Do I need to buy High Frequency splitters?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
yes you would need 2 high frequecy splitters (up to 2200MHZ) to add a DVB box (FTA box) to an existing C/KU setup if you have an analog box or 4DTV already setup

yes you would need 2 high frequecy splitters (up to 2200MHZ) to add a DVB box (FTA box) to an existing C/KU setup if you have an analog box or 4DTV already setup

Thanks for your reply. So thats not what the Diseqc thing included in the package is for? If I need more parts I want to secure them before the receiver gets here.

A link to a suitable switch would help this newbie out.

no

The diseqc allows you to hook up to 4 LNB's or dishes to one reciever. The diseqc switch would allow you to switch between C-Band and KU Band (in your setup)

The splitters allow you to split the cable coming from the LNB to go to both recievers

The splitters can be found at most electronics stores like Radio Shack. Just make sure the frequency range goes up to 2200. The cheaper ones stop at 1000 which won't work (satellite runs between 950-1450)

no

The diseqc allows you to hook up to 4 LNB's or dishes to one reciever. The diseqc switch would allow you to switch between C-Band and KU Band (in your setup)

The splitters allow you to split the cable coming from the LNB to go to both recievers

The splitters can be found at most electronics stores like Radio Shack. Just make sure the frequency range goes up to 2200. The cheaper ones stop at 1000 which won't work (satellite runs between 950-1450)

You've been very helpful as usual Iceberg. Looks like it's time to do more shopping. I see some that say all ports power passing and some are just one port power pass. Does this matter for my setup?

Power pass is important to allow the receiver to send voltage to the LNB.

So I should get one that passes power to all ports? I see you have an analog and FTa receiver. Which high frequency splitter do you use?

Only one port should pass power. If you can only find a splitter that passes to all ports, you can purchase DC blocks that will prevent the other receivers from sending voltage to the LNB.

Only one port should pass power. If you can only find a splitter that passes to all ports, you can purchase DC blocks that will prevent the other receivers from sending voltage to the LNB.

Ahh thank you tron. I get the picture. I'm glad I didn't order one last night. I was thinking all ports. Radio shack around here is pretty much a joke so I will just order a couple online I think.
I'm thinking the Eagle Aspen P-2150-2-GX 2 GHz high frequency splitter
from the following site should suffice.

http://www.starlink-dss.com/splitters.htm

Check your local dollar stores. Around here I have found 2 port power passing, 5-2400MHz 2 way spitters for $2.00. I have one that I removed the cover and cut out one of the diodes (but leave the capacitor connected) to make it into a single port power pass for one of my setups. The capacitor passes the signal (AC) and the diode passes the power (DC). Then glue the metal cover (shield) back on. Silicone sealant worked fine for me. Just use a small bead around the outside of the cover.

To answer your other question Boomer, my analog receiver has the option to turn off voltage in the on-screen setup. So far, I have ran the IF out of my Coolsat 4000, (DVB box) into the analog receiver (Uniden UST 4900) and have had no problems whatsoever.

The polarity rule still exists as expected. Whichever polarity is set on my digital box, the analog will be stuck with. It's just as well.

Now, when I get C-band going. It's gonna be slightly different. I may end up getting a separate digital receiver for C-band. I don't wanna have to sit there paging through Ku birds while getting to C-band birds. I may end up doing it that way.

Although, if I sucessfully program the analog receiver's actuator one day, I may end up just slaving a new digital box. Lots of options.

I'm just now getting around to doing this. :eek: All I'm really interested in is getting one KU satellite for DVB. Can I just use one high freq. splitter and split it to the DVB and analog c band rec? If so would I be correct in connecting the power passing port to the C band receiver since it's going to be moving the dish?

The analog receiver probably won't be moving the dish through the coax... at least I've never heard of one that does, although a modern one might. Chances are your analog receiver is moving the dish using an actuator and ribbon cable. You might want to slave the analog receiver to your DVB digital receiver. That way, you won't have to use a splitter at all. Just use the loop through on the DVB receiver and connect that to the analog receiver input. You'll want to place a DC block between the analog receiver and the DVB receiver in this case.

we used to have cable digital cable and cable internet at an old apartment. When they guy came around to install it, he hooked several high frequency splitters, and actually gave us one or two extras, no charge. I'm currently using all mine, but if you know someone with cable, might not hurt to have them make a call to the cable guy?!?... ;)

The analog receiver probably won't be moving the dish through the coax... at least I've never heard of one that does, although a modern one might. Chances are your analog receiver is moving the dish using an actuator and ribbon cable. You might want to slave the analog receiver to your DVB digital receiver. That way, you won't have to use a splitter at all. Just use the loop through on the DVB receiver and connect that to the analog receiver input. You'll want to place a DC block between the analog receiver and the DVB receiver in this case.

Hey Tron, yeah you're right it has an actuator to move the dish. I was merely generalizing. I hooked it up as above and was getting a few channels. I'm not where I wanna be but, I have the hookup part at least for now. My other thread titled "boy do i need help" gives all the info

we used to have cable digital cable and cable internet at an old apartment. When they guy came around to install it, he hooked several high frequency splitters, and actually gave us one or two extras, no charge. I'm currently using all mine, but if you know someone with cable, might not hurt to have them make a call to the cable guy?!?... ;)

Thanks for the reply mastermesh. I actually have the splitters. I bought them awhile back. They were pretty cheap. Now I just have to get tuning in channels

Ok but...

What about this? I have the Coolsat 8100 and a big dish. The manual is pretty lacking about why you do something. For testing can I just run the Ku LNB to the 8100 w the 14/19 v option? (long cable run). If so what is the correct choice in LNB? I see the 5150 that would be for C band but not sure what Ku value to use. Do I need to look at the LNB and get the freq off it or would the model number suffice and look it up? It is a Norsat.

Once I have the LNB freq set, what is a good starting point for the skew?

I want to drive the dish with the 922 and get the FTA on the coolsat but right now I don't want the slave kit etc just want to be sure the receiver is working. Good signal/sat for aiming? I'm going to try the 10r stuff again.
Thanks!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts