Do not use VOOM LNB with your Dish Setup

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
In case I have seen two problems using the VOOM LNB with Dish receiver.

1 - at 720p some channels like HDnews has Vertical Bars of Ghosting in the video.

2- at 1080i those vertical bars are gone but now it comes the wavy lines on the HD video on every channel.

I haven't setup all my dish equipment yet but I just connected the VOOM 61.5 to my voom receiver and that's the problems I've got. Just to see if I see those wavy lines with HDnet or DiscoveryHD, I disconnected the 61.5 and connected the 110/119 to my receiver and the wavy lines were not there.

I think the problem is LNB. So it is better to connect everything from Dish if you want to avoid problems.

Sean, did you try to repoint the VOOM dish to 110 and see if the wavy lines were on the HD channels from 110?

The VOOM LNB is standard and identical to the rectangle LNBs I have from other manufacturers.

As far as I learned Voom LNB is identical to Dish legacy LNB - why would be the signal different then? :confused:

There is at this time known problems with the model 6000 and the voom channels.

n0qcu said:
There is at this time known problems with the model 6000 and the voom channels.

Well, my TWCNYC HD-DVR does the same - at 720p it's unwatchable, so I guess it's hardly a Dish-Voom issue only...

Sean Mota said:
In case I have seen two problems using the VOOM LNB with Dish receiver.

1 - at 720p some channels like HDnews has Vertical Bars of Ghosting in the video.

2- at 1080i those vertical bars are gone but now it comes the wavy lines on the HD video on every channel.

I haven't setup all my dish equipment yet but I just connected the VOOM 61.5 to my voom receiver and that's the problems I've got. Just to see if I see those wavy lines with HDnet or DiscoveryHD, I disconnected the 61.5 and connected the 110/119 to my receiver and the wavy lines were not there.

I think the problem is LNB. So it is better to connect everything from Dish if you want to avoid problems.
Sean, that's just E* picture quality, you have been spoiled by Voom ;) I will test my system today and let you know what happens to me.

As I said before I am using the 6000u which it is a piece of crap but it does work when it works. Here's an update on those wavy lines. Once I change the channel the wavy lines are there but if I wait about 5 minutes, they are gone! I do not know why. As I said this may work for someone else but I am having problems with it.

Hello all,

There appears to be some conflicting information here. Is the VOOM dish, as it was installed, aimed correctly (at 61.5) to receive the former VOOM channels (the ones that are available) from Dish? If so, is the VOOM dish compatible with the 811? If yes, how do I connect the VOOM dish to the 811?

My background: I'm a former VOOM customer. Dish was installed last Sunday (May first) with dish 811 HD receiver, and dish sd dvr.

Thanks for the information!

Can anyone clarify Sean's statement please since we have conflicting information about it. Will Voom's LNB work with Dish without problems or not? I have Dish 500 pointing to 110/119 and Voom's dish pointing to 61.5. Can I make the two work together with 811 or 942? If so, what do I need to buy to do that?

Conjuror said:
Can anyone clarify Sean's statement please since we have conflicting information about it. Will Voom's LNB work with Dish without problems or not? I have Dish 500 pointing to 110/119 and Voom's dish pointing to 61.5. Can I make the two work together with 811 or 942? If so, what do I need to buy to do that?

All the info you need.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=468560&postcount=1

Conjuror said:
Yes, they are working for me right now. If you only have one receiver you just need a SW21 (switch) if you have more than one receiver then you need another switch. After installing switch, do a check switch in the setup.

ptech said:
Yes, they are working for me right now. If you only have one receiver you just need a SW21 (switch) if you have more than one receiver then you need another switch. After installing switch, do a check switch in the setup.
That's if you have more than one HD receiver, to clarify. It works with legacy systems, not dishpro, as well. FOr instance, if you have, like me, a legacy quad lnb, you can attach 3 sd receivers directly to the lnb and only the HD receiver will require the sw21.

Ok, I've read the "all the info you need.." post and I'm apparently not smart enough to process that much information. Here's my situation: I'm a new dish customer, installed yesterday (Sunday, May first), with an 811 HD receiver and an SD receiver. I have no idea what kind of LNB I have, except that it has two coax cables that connect to a switch. This switch then connects to my two receivers. (I'm at work, so I can't just run out and get more information.) Would I be able to add another switch\coax 2 > 1 junction between that switch and my 811? Would a standard sw-21 work or would it bork my signal altogether? OR, do I need to do the "call dish, demand another dish for that one local channel I don't get..." (That would apparentlly point to 61.5) and then activate VOOM? (I have the VOOM legacy disk still pointing to where ever it always pointed.)
Any clarification\help will be greatly appreciated.

My question is if you hook this up without E* help and you already get the HD pack, will you automatically get these Voom channels or would you still have to call. And if you call will you still have to pay for a $100 dish since they wouldn't have on record that they installed a second dish?

kevcar0603 said:
My question is if you hook this up without E* help and you already get the HD pack, will you automatically get these Voom channels or would you still have to call. And if you call will you still have to pay for a $100 dish since they wouldn't have on record that they installed a second dish?
If I read into your post it would appear your a Dish customer with the HD pack. Yes you need to call because the Voom 10 cost an additional $5/mo
FIREBIRD81 said:
That's if you have more than one HD receiver, to clarify. It works with legacy systems, not dishpro, as well. FOr instance, if you have, like me, a legacy quad lnb, you can attach 3 sd receivers directly to the lnb and only the HD receiver will require the sw21.
or if you already have a Dish pointing at 110/119 then you can view 110/119/61.5 all on the same receiver.

In my case, I just want the Voom stuff, on 61.5

The voom dish works fine to my new 811

I had to buy the hd pack too, but I do not use it, my cable has all the HD
stuff except uhd and tmc-hd.

So I plugged the voom dish into my 811. Did a check switch and voila, it worked perfectly

Phil

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts